Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

20 hours ago, AryMay said:

I too am enjoying the (3 that I know of) Viking world cruise blogs. Thanks to the bloggers for faithfully reporting. It is interesting to get the different takes on the same cruise! 

Can you share the links of the South Pacific blogs you follow? Winters are long and hard here in Minnesota and until we are ready to cruise again, I will have to get my travel fix vicariously through others. 

Right here on the message board!  The author has posted some wonderful photos of their trip.

Diana, thank you for the tour of your cabin.  It was very helpful.  Given the limited storage space we are hearing there is in the veranda cabins, we are investigating closet storage shelves for our 22-23 WC.  When you have a chance would you mind measuring the length and depth of the closet as well as the height of the rod from the floor.  Thank you so much.  

2 minutes ago, TimeOfOurLife said:

Diana, thank you for the tour of your cabin.  It was very helpful.  Given the limited storage space we are hearing there is in the veranda cabins, we are investigating closet storage shelves for our 22-23 WC.  When you have a chance would you mind measuring the length and depth of the closet as well as the height of the rod from the floor.  Thank you so much.  

We bought hanging shelves for over the closet rod at Target and they work great. We put two on one side of the closet. We also have an over the door shoe holder on the bathroom door. They both pack flat and don't weigh much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimeOfOurLife said:

You should also be aware that the 22/23 WC ship is Viking Neptune, which has the additional 3 drawers in the closet, as per all new ships since Viking Sun. Don't believe they were installed in Star before the WC.

42 minutes ago, TimeOfOurLife said:

Depending what ship you are on, you might have 3 drawers in the closet.  I heard the Sky was fitted with the 3 drawers so that only leaves the Star and Sea without them.  

13 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Depending what ship you are on, you might have 3 drawers in the closet.  I heard the Sky was fitted with the 3 drawers so that only leaves the Star and Sea without them.  

The Sky didn't have drawers in the DVs in July.  If they are there, it would have to have been retrofitted late in 2021.

21 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 38/152 - Sea Day - Fooood...and football

Love Arlona's Michigan tee shirt. We are from Traverse City, now living in Venice, FL. I am enjoying your blog. We have been on two river cruises. Our first ocean cruise is Viking Homelands this May (postponed from last May.

21 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 38/152 - Sea Day - Fooood...and football

12 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

What's the average per-couple cost of a Viking WC? $100K? That's some expensive living.

You are correct, until you consider all that it includes. For some pax, they will disembark a Viking World Cruise, as they have no shipboard account to pay. Each couple also receive about 10K in OBC to pay for optional shore-ex and any other onboard expenses.

If I headed out on land tours for 4-months, I would easily go through $100K when flights, meals/drinks, lodging, tours, etc are included.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

If I headed out on land tours for 4-months, I would easily go through $100K when flights, meals/drinks, lodging, tours, etc are included.

My tastes are different. To each his or her own, however.

Edited by SJD117

1 hour ago, GKTV32162 said:

The Sky didn't have drawers in the DVs in July.  If they are there, it would have to have been retrofitted late in 2021.

No it didn't.  We were on her in Iceland also.  But I thought I read somewhere that she did since then.  Guess way to find out for sure is do a post asking.  

26 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Looks like my $100K estimate for per-couple cost was on the low end.

Not really.  You have to get into a junior suite to hit the $100K mark.  90% of the guests are paying less than that.  (418 of 465 staterooms)  In any case, it's all academic to me; my Viking cruises have never gone beyond 3 weeks.  WC experience limited to the terrific blogs from this Star journey.

21 minutes ago, stilltrucking said:

Not really.  You have to get into a junior suite to hit the $100K mark.  90% of the guests are paying less than that.  (418 of 465 staterooms)  In any case, it's all academic to me; my Viking cruises have never gone beyond 3 weeks.  WC experience limited to the terrific blogs from this Star journey.

According to the link you provided, the price for a 2022-23 WC junior suite is approximately $100K per person based on double occupancy (see the fine print at the bottom of the page), or $200K for a couple. I had earlier estimated $100K as a per-couple cost. Every price point on the link exceeds my estimate.  

25 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

According to the link you provided, the price for a 2022-23 WC junior suite is approximately $100K per person based on double occupancy (see the fine print at the bottom of the page), or $200K for a couple. I had earlier estimated $100K as a per-couple cost. Every price point on the link exceeds my estimate.  

Those of us that booked the 22/23 WC paid about US $100K for DV & V cabins; however, based on supply and demand, since Viking have 1 full sold out WC, 1 almost sold out WC and everything above PV on a 2nd 23/24 WC, they increased prices about $10K pp.

Even with the new prices they are still selling well, so many find the rates reasonable.

Having suffered a Princess WC (base fare 1/2 Viking), which ended up costing the same per day, as a Viking WC, I know which cruise line we will stick with. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SJD117 said:

My tastes are different. To each his or her own, however.

Totally agree. We gave up economy flights, hostels, budget motels and fast food joints many years ago. In retirement, we expect a bit more comfort and quality, and are prepared to pay, which is why Viking is a good fit for us.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dottythecat said:

Love Arlona's Michigan tee shirt. We are from Traverse City, now living in Venice, FL. I am enjoying your blog. We have been on two river cruises. Our first ocean cruise is Viking Homelands this May (postponed from last May.

We are continuing on the May 11 Homelands from Bergen.  Are you on that one or the May 25 from Stockholm?

4 hours ago, SJD117 said:

What's the average per-couple cost of a Viking WC? $100K? That's some expensive living.

I’m not an RV’r, but a high grade park at weekly rates would be $600/week? Or about $10,000 for four months and say $2 per mile to operate RV?  6,000 miles is $12,000.  Food including nice meals out $1,500 per month is $6,000.  This is about $30,000 for food, transportation and lodging not including original purchase of RV.

This is a pure wild a$$ guess.  I know Andy does RV life sometimes and can confirm, and refine.

Many people who traveled during work years also planned well for retirement.  We also find that the non-travel time of retirement is very inexpensive and that retirement income is higher than anticipated due to in hindsight excessive saving.  So you decide to spend $100,000 for a four month cruise once every 3-5 years.  Value for your experience I say.

We are not the type that want to be away for four months, but that is us.  I appreciate those who do these trips and take us along via blog

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Totally agree. We gave up economy flights, hostels, budget motels and fast food joints many years ago. In retirement, we expect a bit more comfort and quality, and are prepared to pay, which is why Viking is a good fit for us.

My wife and I stayed in hostels (private rooms) during our trip 10 years ago to New Zealand's South Island. Great fun! But my wife will never, ever let me do that again.  😆

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Exactly how we feel ~ we are SKIng…..Spending the Kids Inheritance and we couldn’t be happier!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2