Does Carnival charge for COVID tests after sailing?

audcc77

On MG last week, a member in our family had symptoms and they came to the room. tested both room mates for free. They also provided medicine for free. One tested positive and they had to quarantine on Deck 4 after that.

Not sure if they test you just like that without symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, uttu said:

Yeah. I was wondering if I should bring the tests with us in case either of us start feeling bad. 

I’m glad to hear that if you have symptoms once sailing, Carnival will test free of charge. 

Thanks for clearing that up. 

1 hour ago, uttu said:

On MG last week, a member in our family had symptoms and they came to the room. tested both room mates for free. They also provided medicine for free. One tested positive and they had to quarantine on Deck 4 after that.

That's good to hear because I've read they charged a family $200pp on another site.

Guest BasicSailor
17 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

That's good to hear because I've read they charged a family $200pp on another site.

I read something like that on here too. Just not sure  if Carnival would charge those that had a exception, Doctor's note or those that boarded with non-tested children. Or do those people get a pass altogether.

Edited by BasicSailor

I have seen several posts in which people who had symptoms were tested for free. I haven't seen any posts in which someone said THEY had been charged. I have also seen the posts saying "a friend of mine knows the friend of a friend who got charged..."

I think the situation is that Carnival is not going to say they will test onboard for free. There are some people who will then demand they be tested every day. So I suspect that if there is legitimate reason for a test they will test for free but if there is no reason for a test but a passenger demands a test they will charge their regular fees, which are understandably high on a ship.

Just to elaborate on our case, they were actually very understanding and worked well with us, We just called Medical when we saw symptoms and they came in half hour. The Doctor did a PCR test, Strep test and Flu test all together. I am not sure why they didn't wait for PCR result and then do other tests. The PCR result was positive in this case. They called back with the result in 1 hour or so.

Both were isolated to Deck 4 for rest of the cruise which was luckily just 1.25 days or so. It sucks that it was Christmas day though but could have been worse. We heard of some guests isolated since second day of cruise.

They gave free premium internet and lot of medicines. No charge for anything. Only thing we got charged for was flu test which I did not dispute (even though I could have). They waived almost $500 in other medical charges.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, uttu said:

Just to elaborate on our case, they were actually very understanding and worked well with us, We just called Medical when we saw symptoms and they came in half hour. The Doctor did a PCR test, Strep test and Flu test all together. I am not sure why they didn't wait for PCR result and then do other tests. The PCR result was positive in this case. They called back with the result in 1 hour or so.

Both were isolated to Deck 4 for rest of the cruise which was luckily just 1.25 days or so. It sucks that it was Christmas day though but could have been worse. We heard of some guests isolated since second day of cruise.

They gave free premium internet and lot of medicines. No charge for anything. Only thing we got charged for was flu test which I did not dispute (even though I could have). They waived almost $500 in other medical charges.

I would guess the 3 are not mutually exclusive and you could have one or more. Also, if the covid test is inconclusive or negative, and Carnival can't identify a reason for the symptoms, the CDC assumes it is covid.

8 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

I read something like that on here too. Just not sure  if Carnival would charge those that had a exception, Doctor's note or those that boarded with non-tested children. Or do those people get a pass altogether.

I'd like to think people boarding with unvaccinated children, exemptions, etc. would be the first people they'd pass the cost on to, as opposed to people who are vaccinated.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sharon&family said:

If you have a balcony room and test positive do you have to be moved to an inside room?  I would rather stay in my own room.

They are not moving passengers who test postive to inside rooms, however you cannot keep your balcony. They have reserved a section for quarantine, and you will be moved there. Those are balcony rooms.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

They are not moving passengers who test postive to inside rooms, however you cannot keep your balcony. They have reserved a section for quarantine, and you will be moved there. Those are balcony rooms.

Ours was moved to a Ocean view room even though we had a Balcony. Was given FCC for 1 day they lost.

Guest BasicSailor
9 hours ago, cmichael1221 said:

I'd like to think people boarding with unvaccinated children, exemptions, etc. would be the first people they'd pass the cost on to, as opposed to people who are vaccinated.

Thats what I was curious about. As there was a question on another popular cruise board and no one would answer yes or no.

10 hours ago, cmichael1221 said:

Yes, We did a family reunion cruise in Nov and the kids had to get tested PCR 2 days prior, at the pier and on ship 24hrs before debarkation at a cost of $150 per child.