Jewel of the Seas - December 30

Just now, ReneeFLL said:

I’m surprised they even booked people on deck 3. Seems like this deck has been used for covid on several ships.

Freewinds? The prison ship? Sorry, my bad. 🤣

No idea. Was there when we arrived and when we left.

As to deck 3, surprised anyone on there as we were told couldn't access gangway on 2 forward by going from centrum elevators through decks 2, 3, or 4.  Told to use forward stairs or elevators. 

12 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

No idea. Was there when we arrived and when we left.

As to deck 3, surprised anyone on there as we were told couldn't access gangway on 2 forward by going from centrum elevators through decks 2, 3, or 4.  Told to use forward stairs or elevators. 

Freewinds is a Church of Scientology Ship. :classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc

2 hours ago, FlyOverGirl said:

I was told last night (by a crew member) 72 crew tested positive yesterday.

I’m on the 1/9 trip and keeping up with this. Seems like they are offloading I’ll crew at different stops. Guess we will see what’s in store for us. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flaps_15 said:

I’m on the 1/9 trip and keeping up with this. Seems like they are offloading I’ll crew at different stops. Guess we will see what’s in store for us. 

We're fine, though did have a burst of rain at breakfast at the very rear of WJ!  

5 minutes ago, Flaps_15 said:

The person who gave me the number of crew also said at 5% positivity cruises get canceled. I don’t know if this is total onboard population or just crew. I also don’t know where he got this information.

Crew is currently at 10.5% based on the 755 crew number I saw.  The head beverage guy (not sure actual title) was missing last night and nowhere to be found today.

They are very quiet (ie no information) on what’s going on. You only know if crew tells you anything. But not really sure what we’d do with the information at this point. I would hope everyone plans on taking appropriate precautions when getting off. Given some can’t follow basic safety measures onboard I know that’s wishful thinking. But to be honest, those same people probably wouldn’t change their behavior even if we were given more information.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Many pax may not appreciate the terrible conditions that the crew (non-officers) live under. Its already difficult when they have to practice safety protocols, and not being able to step ashore in the ports. 

However, the conditions on a ship with a mass outbreak must be horrendous for the crew.

You can isolate roommates. But, they're working in close quarters. What about fellow workers in the department? Who stepped into the shower room when one of the infected was un-masked.

Hope that RCI will follow the example of AIDA, MSC and NCL. Pause a ship when there's a mass outbreak. That's the only way to stop the contagion, and safely resume.

This.

The conversation I had with the crew member was essentially all of this. There were some passengers who were upset at being told to put on their masks. The passenger responded with cheers and got a very blunt I’m not joking put on your mask response. Crew said I hope they go complain - customer service will back me up. These are the people none of the crew want onboard. They are putting crews health and livelihoods at risk by refusing to follow safety guidelines.

We all knew the risks getting onboard, crew included. I don’t think it is too much for crew to ask us to follow safety protocols while we’re on vacation so they can continue to earn a living.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flaps_15 said:

Not looking good for us to leave on the 9th! I was so happy too when my test was negative this am.

11 minutes ago, shelpt said:

Not looking good for us to leave on the 9th! I was so happy too when my test was negative this am.

I’m not throwing all hope away until I get an email stating cancellation. Hope it doesn’t come to that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FlyOverGirl said:

Captain speaking now - Jewel sailings after this one are canceled through February.

What 😱 I wonder when they’re going to notify the passengers. I have a B2B starting January 23. I booked that aft JS the day it came out 😢

29 minutes ago, Sosai X said:

Just got the Everbridge text alert that January 9th through February 12 sailings on Jewel are cancelled. 

0E0FCFE4-418A-491C-86B9-3E0DE6F6C279.jpeg

Checked my email and saw that we are cancelled.  What a bummer.  I tested this morning and packed everything.  Well, I guess I try again in the summer.

Well, besides today's very sad news it has been a good day.

Had breakfast and lunch in the MDR and have held down a lounge chair at the pool. It feels a little less busy out here today.

Tonight is formal night and we're going to Chef's Table.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FlyOverGirl said:

Well, besides today's very sad news it has been a good day.

Had breakfast and lunch in the MDR and have held down a lounge chair at the pool. It feels a little less busy out here today.

Tonight is formal night and we're going to Chef's Table.

Enjoy.  We did it NYE.

4 hours ago, Sosai X said:

Just got the Everbridge text alert that January 9th through February 12 sailings on Jewel are cancelled. 

0E0FCFE4-418A-491C-86B9-3E0DE6F6C279.jpeg

Interesting. I thought Everbridge only did warnings and emergencies. I didn't know the cruise line was using them for notifications. :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

Interesting. I thought Everbridge only did warnings and emergencies

Everbridge does notifications with assured delivery. They can keep sending you messages via email, text, and phone until you take action to acknowledge receipt. So yes, used for emergency notifications as well as things like cruise cancellations.