Jewel of the Seas - December 30

8 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Currently 1400 guests on board.  Scheduled to arrive in Aruba 5 pm est.

Pool areas tend to look crowded so I'm steering clear and enjoying my balcony. 

NICE - slightly over 50% capacity!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Confused. That port must be on your 1/15 cruise?  Not on 1/9.

Yep, for the 15th. This will (hopefully) be my 1st time in Antigua. I’m also booked on Jewel for Feb 12 and we stop there too. San Juan is on that itinerary, who knows where we will end up.

Okay - I’m still here and enjoying life.

@njkruzerhas done a good job answering questions and giving updates - thanks!

In Costa Rica we did a private sloth and canal tour. Didn’t do the walk through the park with the guide as my mom isn’t as mobile as I thought - the canal portion was fantastic. We saw several sloths including two mommas and their babies.

Panama we did the Wonders of Engineering excursion through the ship. First part (the canal) was awesome. Once we reached the lake it was pretty boring.

We’ve both been to the spa and it was pretty standard cruise spa experience. We went to a couple shows - comedian and the ship singers doing jazz. Both were good.

We did Chops for NYE and it was amazing. We did Giovanni’s last night and it wasn’t worth the money. Food was okay and the waiter was cranky. I chalked it up to passengers being cranky and the conditions crew are living under right now.

I go to Schooners each night after dinner and the show for Jamie’s piano music. His contract is up in 3 weeks and he isn't doing another one.

I am spending all my time at the pool. It is crowded especially depending upon where you sit but I haven’t had anyone next to me all afternoon (first row by pool - unheard of in normal times). The pool itself and most definitely the hot tubs get crowded and social distancing isn’t a thing - I’m steering clear.

I do have the complete wine list pictures someone asked for and will see if I can get them to upload.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, melbur said:

Can anyone tell me if the Viking Crown Lounge is open for Happy Hour for Pinnacles? Masked? Can anyone go to the VCL or is it reserved for Pinn?

Are the lounges busy? 

Thanks

VCL is open to Pinnacles and overflow from diamond lounge.  Everyone has masks unless eating or drinking.  Food is served.  Mask on when waiting to be served or at the bar.  Not overly busy. Of course that can change if more D, D+, and Pinnacles. 

• Like 1

Intriguing tidbit from a couple at our dinner table. They were in an interior stateroom on 3. They received a call today and moved to a balcony on 8. Everyone in that section was moved off the floor. They also saw individuals at the end of the hall in protective gear.

Forward halls/staterooms were already closed off. This would be the section after the forward elevator lobby through the fire break. If that makes sense.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FlyOverGirl said:

Intriguing tidbit from a couple at our dinner table. They were in an interior stateroom on 3. They received a call today and moved to a balcony on 8. Everyone in that section was moved off the floor. They also saw individuals at the end of the hall in protective gear.

Forward halls/staterooms were already closed off. This would be the section after the forward elevator lobby through the fire break. If that makes sense.

Interesting.   Considering Aruba didn't turn us away not sure what it means.

9 hours ago, FlyOverGirl said:

n

Interesting. My friend booked the 9th sailing inside gty and was given an inside cabin on deck 3. She put in a Royal Up bid for peanuts for a balcony, and got it yesterday - balcony deck 8. Seems to me they want to keep deck 3 open for possible quarantine cases. 

Did the Exclusive Sunset sail last evening.  It was lovely.  Had a couple of pina coladas. Dh had a rum drink and a green iguana.   They served lots of nibbles.  When they learned I couldn't eat fish brought me some deviled eggs and other things.  Very nice.

Not docked where we usually dock, i.e., not right nears Carlos and Charlies.  People will have further to stumble to get back to the ship. No tour today but will head out shortly. 

• Like 1

1. Carlos 'n Charlie's no longer there.  Comdos in its place. 

2. Docked in addition to us is the Grandeur,  Straatendam, and Freewinds, which was here when we arrived yesterday.  It's a small ship even smaller than the Jewel. 

3. Walked around.  Didn't buy anything. Many old, familiar stores and many new high end ones.  Lots of markets.  Didn't see the old trolley.  Sunny and hot today.

4. Kitchen crew and others lined to be tested.  It's crew testing day.  Many are scheduled for boosters in Miami on Sunday.   We get tested Saturday am.  Have our appointments already.

We’re off to Miami 😭

Aruba was nice - we did an overview of the island.  Stopped at 4 locations for 20 minutes each. My mom and I then went shopping. Now, my mom is less mobile than I thought and the ship further from the port entrance than I thought. We attempted to walk it; we failed. Very, very, very thankful for the 2 passengers who came back from the ship with a wheelchair or we’d probably still be walking to the now departed ship. Love my mom and the fact she has an amazing sense of humor.  We hope those watching from 5 and their balconies were appropriately entertained by our antics.

We did have someone leave in Aruba with a medical emergency but non Covid related. Don’t know the details - just saw them leave via ambulance from my balcony.

All the crew I interact with the most is accounted for but it sounds like it was a very rough testing day for crew. I don’t know how many but there is a feeling of tension with the crew.

Evening show was swapped out for another show due to “unforeseen” circumstances. Our waiter confirmed it was Covid related in not so many words.

Even though at least from my perspective something seems off the crew is doing a great job and doing their best to put on a good front.

16 minutes ago, FlyOverGirl said:

We’re off to Miami 😭

Aruba was nice - we did an overview of the island.  Stopped at 4 locations for 20 minutes each. My mom and I then went shopping. Now, my mom is less mobile than I thought and the ship further from the port entrance than I thought. We attempted to walk it; we failed. Very, very, very thankful for the 2 passengers who came back from the ship with a wheelchair or we’d probably still be walking to the now departed ship. Love my mom and the fact she has an amazing sense of humor.  We hope those watching from 5 and their balconies were appropriately entertained by our antics.

We did have someone leave in Aruba with a medical emergency but non Covid related. Don’t know the details - just saw them leave via ambulance from my balcony.

All the crew I interact with the most is accounted for but it sounds like it was a very rough testing day for crew. I don’t know how many but there is a feeling of tension with the crew.

Evening show was swapped out for another show due to “unforeseen” circumstances. Our waiter confirmed it was Covid related in not so many words.

Even though at least from my perspective something seems off the crew is doing a great job and doing their best to put on a good front.

Agree. Can't put my finger on it.

17 hours ago, melbur said:

Interesting. My friend booked the 9th sailing inside gty and was given an inside cabin on deck 3. She put in a Royal Up bid for peanuts for a balcony, and got it yesterday - balcony deck 8. Seems to me they want to keep deck 3 open for possible quarantine cases. 

I’m surprised they even booked people on deck 3. Seems like this deck has been used for covid on several ships.

10 hours ago, njkruzer said:

…2. Docked in addition to us is the Grandeur,  Straatendam, and Freewinds, which was here when we arrived yesterday.  It's a small ship even smaller than the Jewel. 

Freewinds? The prison ship? Sorry, my bad. 🤣

• Haha 1