Health questionnaire--Covid exposure within 14 days? Does that disqualify a passenger?

CeleBrat

5 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

What happens if you answer YES to the "Have you been exposed to anyone who is Covid+ in the last 14 days?" 

Does someone from Carnival call you?  Are you flagged at the port?  Are you allowed to sail?

If you answer yes, the rest of the health questions lock up so you cant answer them. You have to call to get on and need a better answer than yes. ..or you wouldnt be boarding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

What happens if you answer YES to the "Have you been exposed to anyone who is Covid+ in the last 14 days?" 

Does someone from Carnival call you?  Are you flagged at the port?  Are you allowed to sail?

Just A little confusing given the new CDC guidelines for individuals who are triple boosted and contract Covid. My wife was infected with, Covid, tested positive. She is triple boosted, 4 days later PCR test came up negative. She waited 2 more days to do another test, same, negative. Sad that they don't allow the cruise industry to follow the same guidelines.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kym05 said:

Just A little confusing given the new CDC guidelines for individuals who are triple boosted and contract Covid. My wife was infected with, Covid, tested positive. She is triple boosted, 4 days later PCR test came up negative. She waited 2 more days to do another test, same, negative. Sad that they don't allow the cruise industry to follow the same guidelines.  

It's pretty easy to me. Step 1, you have to have the vax. The vax doesn't guarantee anything other than you passed step 1.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If you answer yes, the rest of the health questions lock up so you cant answer them. You have to call to get on and need a better answer than yes. ..or you wouldnt be boarding.

What number am I calling? Is it the same swamped/overwhelmed Carnival line? That one keeps disconnecting.

I have not yet filled out the health survey. So maybe a message pop ups when I say “yes”?

And to be clear, I will answer truthfully.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CeleBrat said:

What number am I calling? Is it the same swamped/overwhelmed Carnival line? That one keeps disconnecting.

I have not yet filled out the health survey. So maybe a message pop ups when I say “yes”?

And to be clear, I will answer truthfully.

Any yes answer means you dont board. Easy

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Any yes answer means you dont board. Easy

Got it.

And I did go ahead and fill out the health survey and got a pop-up message with some stern words and a cancellation number which is different from the other number than is swamped. Called it, but had to hang up after being on hold for 15 min. Will try again later.

Honestly, I’m somewhat relieved, as my teenaged daughter was pushing hard to still cruise, despite the CDC warning and rising cases. So now, I’m not the “bad guy” cancelling.

Edited by CeleBrat
  • Like 1

UPDATE--I was able to get through, and have been cancelled.  They do not allow you to plead your case.  They just say 'You cannot go."  I agree.

Please be aware though, I did not receive a full refund, despite the fact that Carnival is currently giving "no questions asked full refunds due to Covid surge."  Because I did not opt to cancel through the swamped line, and instead admitted I have a medical reason for not being able to go, they've refunded the cruise option, and converted the taxes into future credit, which must be booked within 90 days for a cruise anytime until 9/30.  It's kind of frustrating, but what can you do?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, CeleBrat said:

UPDATE--I was able to get through, and have been cancelled.  They do not allow you to plead your case.  They just say 'You cannot go."  I agree.

Please be aware though, I did not receive a full refund, despite the fact that Carnival is currently giving "no questions asked full refunds due to Covid surge."  Because I did not opt to cancel through the swamped line, and instead admitted I have a medical reason for not being able to go, they've refunded the cruise option, and converted the taxes into future credit, which must be booked within 90 days for a cruise anytime until 9/30.  It's kind of frustrating, but what can you do?

Good learning experience...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

Good learning experience...

3 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

Eh. Is it a good learning experience? I think they should have given you a full refund. They were going to deny you the ability to cruise in the first place.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DrSea said:

Eh. Is it a good learning experience? I think they should have given you a full refund. They were going to deny you the ability to cruise in the first place.

RIght?  Anyone, for any reason (Concern over Covid, medical fragility, inability to source a Covid test) can cancel right now and get a full refund.  And that is a great policy--better than many of the other cruise lines.

But because I had a Covid-related reason, I am being penalized somewhat.  Makes no sense.

I did attempt to call the general line to cancel without sharing the exposure, but you simply can't get through on that line.  My mistake was being honest, and then following the procedure to cancel after a failed health assessment, which penalized me.

As has been often said, "No good deed goes unpunished."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CeleBrat said:

RIght?  Anyone, for any reason (Concern over Covid, medical fragility, inability to source a Covid test) can cancel right now and get a full refund.  And that is a great policy--better than many of the other cruise lines.

But because I had a Covid-related reason, I am being penalized somewhat.  Makes no sense.

I did attempt to call the general line to cancel without sharing the exposure, but you simply can't get through on that line.  My mistake was being honest, and then following the procedure to cancel after a failed health assessment, which penalized me.

As has been often said, "No good deed goes unpunished."

The bolded statement is very true and it can basically sum up my entire profession and the required training.

I'm sorry. I think Carnival should give you your money back.

And to be clear, I don't think you calling the wrong number is your fault. It's Carnival's fault for not meeting the surge in volume of calls and having tons of dropped calls. I think Carnival is engaging in a watered down version of victim blaming by penalizing you financially. A pandemic is going on after all.

• Like 1

Well were screwed then.  I'm a Nurse Practitioner who works our walk-in clinic and currently seeing about 40 pts per day with COVID.  So, technically I am exposed every day, even though I wear full PPE/N95/Gown, etc.  

I guess I should start looking for an alternative vacation (supposed to be leaving in 30 days)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

That's really strange because for any and all cancelations (even non-Covid), taxes and port fees are the only things you can guarantee get refunded in "cash" while cruise fare can range from FCC to cash.

I canceled one back in November due to an exposure and they just gave me the full amount in a complete refund to my CC, no questions asked. I was fully expecting an FCC, so that was a pleasant surprise. Also took less than 10 minutes from the time I called to when everything was processed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, valandemmy said:

Well were screwed then.  I'm a Nurse Practitioner who works our walk-in clinic and currently seeing about 40 pts per day with COVID.  So, technically I am exposed every day, even though I wear full PPE/N95/Gown, etc.  

I guess I should start looking for an alternative vacation (supposed to be leaving in 30 days)

Others may disagree, but I consider that as not exposed since you are using full PPE. That is the point of it after all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DrSea said:

Absolutely should be a full refund.  Especially since that period is much longer (almost triple) the new CDC guidelines for quarantine.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, valandemmy said:

You were wearing PPE. I was in an office, without a mask, working with someone who was diagnosed + later in the day.

9 hours ago, keels81 said:

That's really strange because for any and all cancelations (even non-Covid), taxes and port fees are the only things you can guarantee get refunded in "cash" while cruise fare can range from FCC to cash.

I canceled one back in November due to an exposure and they just gave me the full amount in a complete refund to my CC, no questions asked. I was fully expecting an FCC, so that was a pleasant surprise. Also took less than 10 minutes from the time I called to when everything was processed.

I had the same experience, in that it was very quick. Literally 10 minutes from start-to-finish. But, wasn’t allowed the full refund despite my asking about everyone else who IS getting one.

8 hours ago, Denise72 said:

Others may disagree, but I consider that as not exposed since you are using full PPE. That is the point of it after all.

Correct!

8 hours ago, MomtherOfDragons said:

It's pretty crazy, at this point if you've been outside of your home in the past 14 days you've likely come in contact with someone who has tested positive.

While that is likely true, currently an exposure means being in proximity with some who is diagnosed for 15 minutes or more, at a distance of less than 6 feet. For me, it was my office mate, who called later in the day to say “I’ve been diagnosed” after we had spent 45 minutes working together earlier in the day without masks.

Edited by CeleBrat

2 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

While that is likely true, currently an exposure means being in proximity with some who is diagnosed for 15 minutes or more, at a distance of less than 6 feet.

FYI, current interviews in the media with health authorities say that with Omicron this no longer applies. The information is still considered valid for Delta but due to the greater transmissibility of Omicron these cautions have been revised. 

13 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

FYI, current interviews in the media with health authorities say that with Omicron this no longer applies. The information is still considered valid for Delta but due to the greater transmissibility of Omicron these cautions have been revised. 

Revised how?

20 minutes ago, CeleBrat said:

Revised how?

Suggest you research for latest information but the gist is shorter exposure times and greater distancing. Some have said a mere "whiff" of the Omicron variant virus is all it takes now to become poz.

Here is one source I found for you:

The virus is now "extraordinarily contagious" and previous mitigation measures that used to help now may not be as helpful, CNN medical analyst Dr. Jonathan Reiner told CNN on Friday.

"At the beginning of this pandemic... we all were taught, you have a significant exposure if you're within six feet of somebody and you're in contact with them for more than 15 minutes. All these rules are out the window," Reiner said. "This is a hyper-contagious virus."
Now, even a quick, transient encounter can lead to an infection, Reiner added, including if someone's mask is loose, or a person quickly pulls their mask down, or an individual enters an elevator in which someone else has just coughed.
"This is how you can contract this virus," Reiner said.
Edited by sanmarcosman

On 12/31/2021 at 4:15 AM, CeleBrat said:

Carnival needs to remove this question, it's ridiculous, illogical. If you leave your house at all - which you have to do to get to the cruise terminal, get your test, etc. - you have probably unknowingly been exposed to someone with COVID. The requirement for vaccinations and testing preclude this question. 

• Like 1

Ah, gotcha!

I thought you were saying that “exposure” meant something closer and more direct.

I am just following my company’s guidelines for exposure, which are part of the (previous) CDC guidelines. This was a direct exposure, rather than a happenstance one In passing.

Things change so quick it’s hard to keep up!

• Like 1