Wondering if anyone has had problems finding getting tested recently

groundloop

We've been on three cruises since the restart and despite one close call we've always managed to get a Carnival approved Covid test.  With the sudden surge in cases I'm curious if anyone has had problems getting tested within the required two day window.  We have another cruise coming up in a very few weeks and am keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm having a LOT of trouble booking tests on short notice, but it's been easy enough to get them something like six days out right after midnight through Walgreens.  I'd do a trial run now just to see what availability looks like in your area, and how far out your testing sites are booking.    

Alternatively, you have plenty of time for eMed to ship you a batch.  That's always my backup plan if I have to work and get an exposure notification when I don't already have a test scheduled.

I'd bought the emed test kits some time ago as a backup and since they were nearing expiration used them for our last cruise. 

I just checked their website and it looks like they're now only selling 6-packs for $150, with no mention of when they expire.  

6 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I'd bought the emed test kits some time ago as a backup and since they were nearing expiration used them for our last cruise. 

I just checked their website and it looks like they're now only selling 6-packs for $150, with no mention of when they expire.  

What site? Because optum only has 2 or 3 packs when I looked. Also, the ones I received just before Christmas expire 11/6/22

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Denise72 said:

What site? Because optum only has 2 or 3 packs when I looked. Also, the ones I received just before Christmas expire 11/6/22

OH, I was looking at emed.com.  

Good to know that they're now shipping test kits that have a decent shelf life.  

• Like 1

With this current surge, I'm a bit stressed. I have a cruise next week and have an appointment booked at CVS next Tuesday. I'll book a backup appointment as soon as I can at the local Walgreens for some reassurance. 

Edited by CruiseBro16
  • Like 1

What a mess.  I called Walgreens and CVS in the neighborhood to arrange to the test to be conducted 2 days before the cruise.  They said their locations were not doing testing but I could get that done at locations several miles from my house.  I would have to go through the internet to make arrangements.  So I tried that.  The site said I could not make the arrangements at that time and would have to try at a later date.   That was a couple of weeks ago.  Then I am thinking to myself, I am scheduled to work the next 4 days before the cruise and would have to take time off.  So to solve this problem, I made arrangements with Carnival to do the test at the terminal.  I got a confirmation number for the test and it says to check in and I would get the test immediately at that time.  I know it costs a $100 but I would have to take off a day from work anyway.  So hopefully this will work better. 

The only risk is that I have to travel 2 1/2 hours to get to the terminal.  Can you imagine if I tested positive.  No cruise!  2/1/2 hour trip back.  $100 lost and one really disappointed cruiser.     

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richfret said:

What a mess.  I called Walgreens and CVS in the neighborhood to arrange to the test to be conducted 2 days before the cruise.  They said their locations were not doing testing but I could get that done at locations several miles from my house.  I would have to go through the internet to make arrangements.  So I tried that.  The site said I could not make the arrangements at that time and would have to try at a later date.   That was a couple of weeks ago.  Then I am thinking to myself, I am scheduled to work the next 4 days before the cruise and would have to take time off.  So to solve this problem, I made arrangements with Carnival to do the test at the terminal.  I got a confirmation number for the test and it says to check in and I would get the test immediately at that time.  I know it costs a $100 but I would have to take off a day from work anyway.  So hopefully this will work better. 

The only risk is that I have to travel 2 1/2 hours to get to the terminal.  Can you imagine if I tested positive.  No cruise!  2/1/2 hour trip back.  $100 lost and one really disappointed cruiser.     

Its not all of that, the scary part is getting a false positive at the terminal. Sorry for the nightmares 

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. I have an appointment at Walgreens at 4:30 and a backup at CVS at 6:30. And then I have a backup-backup at Walgreens for the next day. Yes, I had to plan way ahead to get them scheduled. CVS was like 13 or 14 days in advance and Walgreens was 7 or 8 days. I don't remember exactly anymore. I just went on their sites and saw how far out the next available appts were becoming available and then timed myself accordingly to get up early and book them when my day arrived. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully the extras won't be needed and I will just cancel them.

• Like 1

We live about 30 miles outside of Austin, lines there for testing have been incredible. Our cruise in October we got tested at a local urgent care clinic. Leaving Saturday, checked that clinic for appointments, all booked! You can only go out two days, but this doesn't look good. So I checked a clinic about 20 miles further away from us, 50 miles from Austin, they had plenty of appointments available, so we plan to go there.

So my suggestion is to check smaller towns around you. Maybe in some states that seems like a long distance to drive, but it's really nothing in Texas!

13 hours ago, mac21902 said:

Question - I wanted to order the pack of 6 tests for my six family members but I noticed it only allows you to register three people. Has anyone tried this for more than 3 people?

This is because a two pack is meant for one person in the case of some sort of technical malfunctions.

17 hours ago, groundloop said:

.  We have another cruise coming up in a very few weeks and am keeping my fingers crossed.

CVS was putting 2 weeks of appointment schedules with a list of local stores in their local websites Book your date and time as soon as you see it appear. 

27 minutes ago, Jelly_Toast said:

This is because a two pack is meant for one person in the case of some sort of technical malfunctions.

For what it's worth, the tests I've been getting from eMed are not two packs - I have consistently gotten six packages with a single test in each.  

Edit: that said, I would feel really uncomfortable only ordering six for six people - it only takes one dry bottle of reagent or an internet drop to invalidate a proctored test.  I wouldn't take the chance, I'd over order (and then be able to list all the family members, as a perk) and would be thrilled if I ended up with six extra 'oh no, I think it's just my allergies acting up but I'm supposed to see grandma tonight' tests.  

Edited by Virga
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

We live about 30 miles outside of Austin, lines there for testing have been incredible. Our cruise in October we got tested at a local urgent care clinic. Leaving Saturday, checked that clinic for appointments, all booked! You can only go out two days, but this doesn't look good. So I checked a clinic about 20 miles further away from us, 50 miles from Austin, they had plenty of appointments available, so we plan to go there.

So my suggestion is to check smaller towns around you. Maybe in some states that seems like a long distance to drive, but it's really nothing in Texas!

Also in Bastrop (outside of Austin). There is free testing at Memorial Stadium but not worth it. Just got off a cruise and wife was not feeling well (ended up just being Cedar Fever, Cedar pollen is over 1k today) so went to check it out. At 1PM yesterday there were 45 cars in line and only a single worker doing tests. In the 10 minutes we were there, the line never moved. You could see that folks had been in line for a LONG time (shirts in windows blocking sun, etc.). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sailingships said:

CVS was putting 2 weeks of appointment schedules with a list of local stores in their local websites Book your date and time as soon as you see it appear. 

Actually to drill down seems like appointments open about 2 am for the 2 weeks out. I've been setting my alarm for 2 am. ..for sure will do it until this testing stuff dies down.

I'm more crazy than the average bear it seems. 

13 hours ago, mac21902 said:

Question - I wanted to order the pack of 6 tests for my six family members but I noticed it only allows you to register three people. Has anyone tried this for more than 3 people?

This can be confusing.  But from my own experience, which seems to coincide with reports of others on CruiseCritic -

When ordering, don't worry so much about what names the tests are registered to.  It is okay for one person to make the purchase for all the tests.  Just answer the questions as if you are the sole end-user and do whatever it takes to get the the on-line site to approve your purchase.  As I understand it, this process was originally designed for individuals who needed to take multiple periodic tests, like maybe for a job or something.

Once your order is received, each individual test kit (containing one test) is now available to anyone.  Each person has to set up their own account as instructed on the outside of the test box.  Search YouTube for some excellent videos of folks walking you through the whole process.  It is quite simple, but there can be issues.  I, for one, could not understand the proctor's accent.  My wife had to help me.  Without her, not sure I could have competed the test successfully.  Others have received kits that lacked certain supplies.  Highly recommend ordering extras.  And do NOT open any of the individual kit boxes until connected to a proctor, and they instruct you to open 'er up.

To tie this back to the original post, just out of curiosity for those who have ordered the home proctored kits as Plan B or C, why not use them as Plan A?  Not being critical, inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks.

Got a question regarding the BinaxNOW tests. I've installed the app and set up my profile, but do I need ot make the appointment ahead of time? Or should I just click "I have a test" and go through the steps on Saturday? (Our cruise leaves Monday.)

1 minute ago, Lady_E said:

Got a question regarding the BinaxNOW tests. I've installed the app and set up my profile, but do I need ot make the appointment ahead of time? Or should I just click "I have a test" and go through the steps on Saturday? (Our cruise leaves Monday.)

In late October, we just did the "I have a test" when we were ready to do it, no appointment.  May be up to a thirty minute wait, from reports from others at that time, but both my wife and I got connected to a proctor within five minutes.

1 minute ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

In late October, we just did the "I have a test" when we were ready to do it, no appointment.  May be up to a thirty minute wait, from reports from others at that time, but both my wife and I got connected to a proctor within five minutes.

EXCELLENT, thank you Top! That's what I was trying to find out and their website isn't very clear. Should my wife have her own account or does only one of us need the app?

• Like 1