Getaway cancelled 1/5 sailing

20 minutes ago, styxfire said:

So sorry to all affected by this cancelation!  The Getaway's itinerary sounded EXCELLENT.   I hope you can get a similar cruise in the future, the ABC's are GREAT!   Also, the full refund, plus a 20% discount on a future booking is a good deal.  But such short notice is a disappointment, for sure.  I cruise in 5 days and am worried about the same, as my insurance only applies once I'm on board. 

Getaway is not the only victim...  the Pearl was turned around today (2 days into their 11-day Panama and Central America cruise, supposed to stop at 7 different ports).  Those passengers aren't getting refunds, as they will still have received 4 days onboard for free.  But they are getting FCC for the value of their booking, to be used by 2024.  That cancellation was due to crew infection.  The # of cases wasn't specified.

They are getting 100% refunds PLUS 100% FCC.

• Like 3

Oh!  I read the letter too fast.  You're right, Pearl is getting full refund in the original form of payment, AND FCC equal to the price of the current cruise.

In that case, as a shareholder, I think that is excessive reimbursement.  I apologize to anyone whose cruise is cancelled, but I also want the company to stay in business!!!!   They're basically giving double-the-money-back PLUS 4 days free cruising.

The Pearl passengers should be VERY happy.  There must be something big brewing on that boat...   Wonder if a full quarantine is being considered.  I HOPE NOT!

Edited by styxfire
  • Like 1

Just now, julig22 said:

Star has stopped on it's way to Argentina "waiting for orders"- and the 1/16 and 1/30 Antarctica cruises are currently "sold out". Not a good sign.

Brazil is closed to cruise ships Until January 22 because of MSC Grandious numbers. That probably explains things since many of the Antarctica itineraries start or stop in Buenos Aries. https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26501-cruise-lines-to-temporarily-suspend-service-in-brazil.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, styxfire said:

I believe the letter to the Pearl passengers said FCC.  And the letter to Getaway passengers said refund in the form of original payment.  

This is not correct ..... read the letter from NCL in the Pearl cancellation thread

1 minute ago, styxfire said:

I believe the letter to the Pearl passengers said FCC.  And the letter to Getaway passengers said refund in the form of original payment.  

That is wrong, please re-read the letter in the thread.  100% refund PLUS 100% FCC, and 20% off in their account as a coupon.

58 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

so wonderful! Hopefully I can go on my cruise on 1/22...if not I will rebook, I'm here to support NCL 😄 

Hopefully, you will find out if its been cancelled or not, on 1/21. Way to go NCL, how pathetic. 

6 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

They are getting 100% refunds PLUS 100% FCC.

Just now, oteixeira said:

So, technically what I said is not wrong.  100% refund in FORM OF ORIGINAL PAYMENT (so FCC or your cash/credit card).  

I think it is wrong.

The way I read your posts, guests were receiving 100% refund PLUS 100% FCC.

It's really 100% refund OR 100% FCC based on original form of payment.

Did I read that incorrectly?

Just now, Da-Painter said:

Hopefully, you will find out if its been cancelled or not, on 1/21. Way to go NCL, how pathetic. 

I know/knew the risks going into it. If I find out on 1/21, I will make my plans accordingly. It sucks, don't get me wrong, but at this point every plan I make is subject to change and I understand that. 

• Like 2

I am sailing February 13th on the Encore. I was pretty confident after having a breakthrough in October. I assume I had delta, I was really sick for a long time.

My sister wants me to cancel. Right now everyone around me seems to be getting Covid. Best case scenario we all get it, recover and cruise. There seems to be no end in sight. 

If I cancel now it cost double what I paid to cruise again. I can afford it, my sister can’t.  I would pay her share but she is also proud and would figure it out I paid the difference. This is just aggravating to deal with. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Brazil is closed to cruise ships Until January 22 because of MSC Grandious numbers. That probably explains things since many of the Antarctica itineraries start or stop in Buenos Aries. https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26501-cruise-lines-to-temporarily-suspend-service-in-brazil.html

Not going to Brazil.  Argentina.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think it is wrong.

The way I read your posts, guests were receiving 100% refund PLUS 100% FCC.

It's really 100% refund OR 100% FCC based on original form of payment.

Did I read that incorrectly?

Actually reading it again I am not 100% sure, it is a little grey.  It says you will get 100% refund and then later says:

In addition to your 100% refund or full return of your FCC the following offers may be available for you to choose from:

#1 is 100% FCC to apply to a new cruise.   

So.....  I dunno

• Like 1

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

Actually reading it again I am not 100% sure, it is a little grey.  It says you will get 100% refund and then later says:

In addition to your 100% refund or full return of your FCC the following offers may be available for you to choose from:

#1 is 100% FCC to apply to a new cruise.   

So.....  I dunno

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest NCL is offering a full refund to the form of original payment. I Believe it is highly unlikely they are offering double your money back, but stranger things have happened I suppose. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. Most cruise ships right now heading to Antarctica start/stop in Buenos Aries (or Santiego) with stops in Argentina. I think the whole region is going to close to cruise ships until the January 21 date.

15 minutes ago, styxfire said:

Oh!  I read the letter too fast.  You're right, Pearl is getting full refund in the original form of payment, AND FCC equal to the price of the current cruise.

In that case, as a shareholder, I think that is excessive reimbursement.  I apologize to anyone whose cruise is cancelled, but I also want the company to stay in business!!!!   They're basically giving double-the-money-back PLUS 4 days free cruising.

The Pearl passengers should be VERY happy.  There must be something big brewing on that boat...

I don't think that's the case. Can you show me the verbiage you are using? That is not how I'm interpreting the letter.

image.png.2bccfdc2d604ae1015e6de6c8519ab50.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'll be damned. I could have been wrong on this too. I just don't see how NCL can pull that one off, but stranger things have happened.

We are living in some very strange times.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

We are living in some very strange times.

I tend to believe that the first bullet listed was listed in error. If you take out the first bullet, the remaining 3 bullets make sense specifically because they used the word 'may" and the remaining 3 bullets are current offerings. Like this...

image.png.ace907297b14cee0fd5d49cffba1a36d.png

Either way, That is one big a**ed error!! lol

Pure speculation of course 🙂

Edited by BermudaBound2014

34 minutes ago, chuckhendo2 said:

On the Getaway right now, been in quarantine since Friday night after my wife tested positive. It seems there are quite a few passengers who are positive, and who knows how many crew. I just know that when they came by to check on us earlier the list of names seemed pretty long. And who knows how many people never bothered reporting symptoms and getting a test.

I have to say, it hasn't been a great experience. They wouldn't give us unlimited wifi, so I've been having to conserve minutes. Food has not been great from the start, but it has been declining in quality. Everything we ordered for lunch was about room temperature when we received it after about an hour. Still, happy I'll be getting a partial refund for it. I would have gladly cancelled before leaving if they would have let us 

I'm so sorry your wonderful vacation has been ruined by a nasty little bugger! I hope you stay healthy and your wife feels lots better soon! ❤️

• Like 1

It's definitely not looking good for cruises right now.  We plan on vacationing in Florida if they cancel our 1/15 cruise.  Although I don't like it for the cruise line, I would love a refund right now.  I know it will only be an option if my cruise gets cancelled.

My husband and I are vaccinated and had covid last September, so we are fine with taking the risks of traveling.  A cruise right now is sounding worse by the day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lisakwaj said:

I'm so sorry your wonderful vacation has been ruined by a nasty little bugger! I hope you stay healthy and your wife feels lots better soon! ❤️

Thanks! We are doing relatively well, she's already feeling better than she did a few days ago. I've developed a small cough so I probably have it as well now. They gave us the option to isolate separately (i.e. I could have stayed in our original room as long as I was testing negative), but that would have been boring as hell so I decided to go with her. Happy they moved us to an aft balcony rather than the interior I was afraid of

• Like 5

1 minute ago, chuckhendo2 said:

Happy they moved us to an aft balcony rather than the interior I was afraid of

I'm happy you both appear to have a mild case. I could absolutely quarantine in an aft facing balcony as long as I had room service access to the dining room menus and drinks. I'm very happy NCL took care of you like that. 

• Like 1