Shoe Shine

duquephart

Our cabin steward reminded us a few times that shoe shine service was available, but having worked on ships for many years, I have long since got over that novelty.

In retirement, I'm more than happy to do it myself.

• Like 1

There was this one time, in the Falkland Islands, we spent a good part of a day tramping around in penguin poo.  No, I did not leave my shoes out for them to clean......  Spent an hour or so in the shower cleaning my sneakers..... Could have really used included shoe service....😱

• Haha 2

In 2018, we were on the Southern Med Discovery (no longer offered) which included a port stop in Algiers. The Casbah excursion was sold out, but we watched the port talk in our cabin anyway. The speaker told us we should wear shoes that can be thrown away as we will be walking in donkey poop - and she faulted Viking in CA for not warning us. Glad we couldn't go.

• Haha 1

No, but DH’s hikers that he used for walking on excursions croaked.  The sole separated from the shoe (we aren’t going to discuss the 2 pair of Merrill hikers he bought a month before we left for a 2 month cruise).  
The dead shoes disappeared the day we went out in Punta del Este to find him a new pair of sneakers.  They returned repaired, cleaned up and looking about as new as a 12 year old pair of well used shoes can look.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

No, but DH’s hikers that he used for walking on excursions croaked.  The sole separated from the shoe (we aren’t going to discuss the 2 pair of Merrill hikers he bought a month before we left for a 2 month cruise).  
The dead shoes disappeared the day we went out in Punta del Este to find him a new pair of sneakers.  They returned repaired, cleaned up and looking about as new as a 12 year old pair of well used shoes can look.  

Super glue.

29 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Can’t speak to how good the shoe shine was as we didn’t use the service since our shoes were suede. But the nice leather carrier provided for them made a great carrier for getting excess dirty laundry to the launderette. 

Maybe they would brush them out for you? Don't know that I'd chance it. And I'm certainly not letting near my shell cordovan shoes.

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Your accent is "remnants"?  I barely understand ye as is.  And I have family and part raised in the Midlands....🍺

Newsflash! Thread on shoe shine services turns into discussion about accents!