Veranda

dolphin lady

Some of the older HAL ships also have a "lanai cabin", which is a sliding glass door out to the main promenade deck - where you have two dedicated deck loungers but in the public deck area. They are a step in-between a verandah/balcony cabin and an ocean view cabin.  

Some verandah cabins have full metal railings, while most have see through glass railings, so there can be a difference in verandah cabins. This is noted this upfront. Then there are obstructed view, partially obstructed, or non-obstructed notations for cabins too! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dolphin lady said:

Looking to book a cruise on a Holland American ship. I've cruised many lines but not Holland. Is a Veranda cabin the same as a balcony cabin on other ships?

OlsSalt provides a clear explanation of the veranda/balcony cabins that HAL offers.  Personally, a "veranda/balcony" cabin implies to me that that area is mine solely.  The Lanai Cabins that were mentioned don't meet my definition.  Besides, compared to the similar outside cabins on the next two lower decks, their interiors are smaller than the other similar outside cabins.  

• Thanks 1

The one difference, huge in MHO, is that on the majority of HAL ships (not the small ones) have a love seat in their "veranda" staterooms.  On several of the other lines you have to upgrade to a mini-suite to get that extra seating and room.