New pre-cruise protocols-booster requirement and testing changes

broker1217

7 hours ago, Hallie0812 said:

We are on the February 25 cruise to Antarctica and just canceled our 5 pre cruise days which included the falls. This came after both my travel agent and I had 7 different calls with Viking that netted 6 different answers. It just got to be stupid with them. And yes we too got the answer 5 times that Viking knows results will be done in less then 48 hours.  More Viking BS.  My daughter is a teacher who has to be tested and recently results have gone from 12 hours last year to 72 hours this year. Viking doesn't understand or care that they don't control the testing they are requiring us to get.   It's getting to be a cluster....but that had no problem taking money a year in advance. This could be my last Viking cruise. 

I ask to talk to a supervisor yesterday and  the answer she gave me was try your best but come with some kind of a test results.  When you get on the plane to Chile they will be asking you for the test results for  Chile rules.  She said when we land we will be tested again at the airport.  She said if you haven't followed Viking rules I have no idea....

Edited by Porcupine 52

I've decided to pay for "priority" PCR tests for our March cruise that have a turnaround time of less than 24 hours.  Don't want to gamble my vacation (and paid fares) because the lab couldn't get the results in time.  I used samedayhealth.com since they have a location 5 minutes away from me.  That's one less hoop I have to worry about.

We go on an 8 day cruise in April - A rapid PCR test is available in San Diego, but will cost $150 to $180.   Does anyone know of cheaper alternatives?

Hoping the requirement will ease up by then.

This is my first Viking Cruise - I assume if we test positive we get canceled and get FCC?

3 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We go on an 8 day cruise in April - A rapid PCR test is available in San Diego, but will cost $150 to $180.   Does anyone know of cheaper alternatives?

Hoping the requirement will ease up by then.

We had a PCR test done at a Walgreens drive through in Florida in November and it was free.  We had the results in about 3 hours.  

Thanks for the info on samedayhealth.com--there is one about an hour from me and they are charging $195 for 1 hour PCR and $175 for 36 hour. Seems to be typical rate. We paid $200 for our last trip which also had tight timing with Monday departure.

Walgreen's here are not even guaranteeing 72 hour due to the surge in demand due to omicron. Additionally one of the labs Walgreens' utilizes is experiencing disruption due to FedEx weather delays.

Much better to be tested where the test is processed on site, not sent away.

I'm not risking samples getting lost or delayed due to weather.

2 hours ago, Selion said:

I've decided to pay for "priority" PCR tests for our March cruise that have a turnaround time of less than 24 hours.  Don't want to gamble my vacation (and paid fares) because the lab couldn't get the results in time.  I used samedayhealth.com since they have a location 5 minutes away from me.  That's one less hoop I have to worry about.

2 hours ago, millybess said:

We had a PCR test done at a Walgreens drive through in Florida in November and it was free.  We had the results in about 3 hours.  

I went to Walgreens today and the said the Rapid  Diagnostic test ID was a PCR ( That is what they told me...) and they will have it back within 24 hours.  That is where we are headed.  Hope they are right.

My understanding is that the Walgreen's Rapid Diagnostic testing ID is a NAAT test, but does not specify PCR.

You can read this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2805768-is-walgreens-rapid-diagnostic-test-abbott-id-now-naat-test-accepted-by-viking/page/3/#comment-62396506

To further muddy the waters, from Walgreen's site:

Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR): The RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel Test - NAAT is used to detect genetic material (mRNA) of the coronavirus and will be sent to a laboratory to determine results in a variable amount of time†.

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

If anyone has used the Walgreens ID NOW for Viking's PCR requirement---I would love to hear that it worked and for which itinerary, boarding in which country, etc.

2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

there is one about an hour from me and they are charging $195 for 1 hour PCR and $175 for 36 hour.

I guess different areas have different lab partners.  For us, it's $75 for rush/priority and our insurance pays for the actual test.  If I want the standard turn around window, there's no out-of-pocket fees.

My latest test taken on 1/8 morning, result came back this morning.  Almost exactly 72 hours from taking the sample to receiving the results email.  That may work for Italy, but not for Viking.  Yes, hopefully by March the demand for testing subsides, but I'd rather not gamble our 20th anniversary vacation.

48 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

My understanding is that the Walgreen's Rapid Diagnostic testing ID is a NAAT test, but does not specify PCR.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2805768-is-walgreens-rapid-diagnostic-test-abbott-id-now-naat-test-accepted-by-viking/page/3/#comment-62396506

Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR): The RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel Test - NAAT is used to detect genetic material (mRNA) of the coronavirus and will be sent to a laboratory to determine results in a variable amount of time†.

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

If anyone has used the Walgreens ID NOW for Viking's PCR requirement---I would love to hear that it worked and for which itinerary, boarding in which country, etc.

I stand corrected broker. It was an NAAT test that we needed to get back into Canada. It’s not a PCR test. 

6 hours ago, Selion said:

You are fortunate-we have nothing of that kind anywhere nearby.  If the same PCR RESULT requirements are in place for March,  we'll have to cancel.  At this point....

1 hour ago, broker1217 said:

The Walgreen test is the only one that I have found that will work will a Monday afternoon flight....(Sunday morning test will make it 28 hours before our flight to Dallas)  When I talk to Viking TA they say use the testing one in your airport.... well our airport doesn't have one.  Well you can get it in Dallas... well Viking says to get it 48 hours before your first out bound flight.... and we have 1 1/2 hours  in Dallas.  They told me to do the best you can.... and try to follow Chile's rules.    2 pharmacist at Walgreen told me it is a PRC test....It's going to be interesting.

I'm with you on if any one has used Walgreens, but our options are very limited.

14 minutes ago, rudychance said:

You are fortunate-we have nothing of that kind anywhere nearby.  If the same PCR RESULT requirements are in place for March,  we'll have to cancel.  At this point....

not sure where you live and what the omicron situation is---but perhaps by March you may be able to get results more quickly. I live in Chicago area so with a major international airport, there is always quick testing (at a cost) near the airport for travelers.

2 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

not sure where you live and what the omicron situation is---but perhaps by March you may be able to get results more quickly. I live in Chicago area so with a major international airport, there is always quick testing (at a cost) near the airport for travelers.

Last year when we went to Maui we left a day early to get tested in Portland at the Carbon test site at the airport.  It went super fast and was easy.... But it added a hotel cost onto the trip.  If you follow Viking rules you can't leave early...1st out bound flight.  I wish Viking would have a list of what place are "Trusted Partners" like Hawaii does

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

And Hawaii will Only accept NAAT test

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Last year when we went to Maui we left a day early to get tested in Portland at the Carbon test site at the airport.  It went super fast and was easy.... But it added a hotel cost onto the trip.  If you follow Viking rules you can't leave early...1st out bound flight.  I wish Viking would have a list of what place are "Trusted Partners" like Hawaii does

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

And Hawaii will Only accept NAAT test

It's not easy--that's for sure!

We have been through this already for Bermuda, Bahamas and St. Kitts. Then the re-entry to US testing.

You really have to pay attention as the testing requirements are constantly changing.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 6:39 PM, broker1217 said:

If you want to travel--you will get used to doing pre-departure testing and various country specific approvals.

You raise really good points - and all of them true. But, if we're willing to sacrifice cruising and/or international travel, there are always car trips within the US or even fly/drive (do you need to do covid testing for domestic flights?) which we've also done and enjoy. Canceled one of those however for last October due to worrying about the availability of rental cars - so not sure how long that craziness will go on besides everything else covid-related. I'd be sad to give up on international travel but if we would decide to do so in the "new reality" you speak of, at least we can be glad that we did as much as we already did. Still more than enough to see here in the US if we'd decide to go that route. What we like about the car trips is NONE of that testing crap needed. 

On 1/6/2022 at 7:42 PM, Porcupine 52 said:

I told her we will some day.

So VERY sorry for your loss 😟  That "someday we'll do (or go)______" syndrome is indeed something we all have to watch out for. Unless we truly (seriously) plan for something, often it simply never happens. Life is short. I think DW and I are getting TOO used to being at home, where we feel comfortable and safe. Sort of like after I had a severe car accident many years ago - I recall my Dad telling me, 'you've gotta get behind the wheel again as soon as you can'. Perhaps a weak analogy but I think there is some applicability to this covid-related travel situation. IF we want to keep traveling to places and in such fashion that requires the testing et al, then that's the way it is. If we don't want to put up with any of that, then have to settle for alternative options. Pretty simple really. To say, "we'll wait till everything is back to normal - or at least much better"..MAY not happen for a long time. 'Glass is half full vs. half empty' I suppose. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Selion said:

I guess different areas have different lab partners.  For us, it's $75 for rush/priority and our insurance pays for the actual test.  If I want the standard turn around window, there's no out-of-pocket fees.

Same with us in Maryland. We scheduled a rush/priority PCR test with Same Day Health (results back in less than 24 hours) and we were charged $75 for the rush, with our insurance paying for the actual test.

4 hours ago, broker1217 said:

My husband and I used the Walgreens NAAT test for our Panama Canal trip. Needed it 2 days in advance of boarding ship in Florida. 

Also I still have my copies of the testing that was done onboard that enabled us to re-enter the US from Iceland last summer and a copy of the test results they gave us when we left the ship in LA on December 4. Both preformed in their ship labs. The both say “This is to certify that the person stated above was tested for SARS-CoV-2 by the use of NAT*
*NAT : Nucleic Acid amplification Technology”

Therefore, that is what Viking is using when they test you on board each day so it has to be acceptable by them. 

Edited by Australia08

NAAT v. PCR debate.  It's rather moot.  For one, it's on Viking's website if we had bothered to look for it.  Secondly, most countries require PCR tests to enter.

US embarkation, NAAT & PCR both are accepted.  Viking will even take rapid antigen test results:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-220105-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_UK_AU_NZ_FINAL.pdf?_gl=1*jb432t*_ga*MjE0NjkzOTkyNS4xNjM1NzA2NTQz*_ga_24KNYDH1S6*MTY0MTk2MDQ0Mi4yNS4xLjE2NDE5NjA0NjIuMA..&_ga=2.124453578.192735875.1641913403-2146939925.1635706543

Italy embarkation, PCR only:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-220110_RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Italy-US-CAN-UK_AU_NZ-FINAL.pdf?_ga=2.44117732.192735875.1641913403-2146939925.1635706543&_gl=1*1uyb0a5*_ga*MjE0NjkzOTkyNS4xNjM1NzA2NTQz*_ga_24KNYDH1S6*MTY0MTk2MDQ0Mi4yNS4xLjE2NDE5NjA1MDYuMA..

Chile embarkation, PCR only:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-220105_RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Chile-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ-FINAL.pdf

How to find these PDFs?  Find your cruise on Viking's site.  Click on the extra large thumbnail for your cruise, or Learn More button.  Once on the itinerary page, on the right side of the screen there's a Resources tab.  Click on that.  Pre-cruise requirements are listed by country (or countries if there are embarkation ports in more than one country).

One more note.  Seeing that Viking is making a distinction between PCR & NAAT, with NAAT results acceptable only for US embarkations, I'd say follow Viking's requirement as stated.  If I'd gone to the airport with a NAAT test, they won't even let me board the flight to Italy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Selion said:

NAAT v. PCR debate.  It's rather moot.  For one, it's on Viking's website if we had bothered to look for it.  Secondly, most countries require PCR tests to enter.

US embarkation, NAAT & PCR both are accepted.  Viking will even take rapid antigen test results:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-220105-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_UK_AU_NZ_FINAL.pdf?_gl=1*jb432t*_ga*MjE0NjkzOTkyNS4xNjM1NzA2NTQz*_ga_24KNYDH1S6*MTY0MTk2MDQ0Mi4yNS4xLjE2NDE5NjA0NjIuMA..&_ga=2.124453578.192735875.1641913403-2146939925.1635706543

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-220110_RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Italy-US-CAN-UK_AU_NZ-FINAL.pdf?_ga=2.44117732.192735875.1641913403-2146939925.1635706543&_gl=1*1uyb0a5*_ga*MjE0NjkzOTkyNS4xNjM1NzA2NTQz*_ga_24KNYDH1S6*MTY0MTk2MDQ0Mi4yNS4xLjE2NDE5NjA1MDYuMA..

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-220105_RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Chile-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ-FINAL.pdf

How to find these PDFs?  Find your cruise on Viking's site.  Click on the extra large thumbnail for your cruise, or Learn More button.  Once on the itinerary page, on the right side of the screen there's a Resources tab.  Click on that.  Pre-cruise requirements are listed by country (or countries if there are embarkation ports in more than one country).

One more note.  Seeing that Viking is making a distinction between PCR & NAAT, with NAAT results acceptable only for US embarkations, I'd say follow Viking's requirement as stated.  If I'd gone to the airport with a NAAT test, they won't even let me board the flight to Italy.

Yes I read all of that

But the problem is Viking is requiring you to have a PCR test 48 hour BEFORE your first outbound flight.  Our flight in on a Monday.  No way can we get our test back...(If we test Sat morning 24 to Sunday then 48 to Monday).. and all the test places are jammed.   They shut down some this week because of lack of test.

If  we had a testing at our airport we could make it work... but we don't.

Chile rules are 72 hours before your outbound flight to Chile.( our is in Dallas)  Might ... Might make that work.  And Chile test you when you land at the airport.

1 1/2 hour between landing in Dallas and our flight.  No way to get  tested in Dallas

I don't have the answer just lots of questions.

• Like 1

In our letter from Viking regarding our Trans Canal cruise, this is the wording regarding pre-cruise testing.  Pay close attention to the wording.

"Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship safely. Viking has decided to require that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 48 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country."

6 minutes ago, trident said:

In our letter from Viking regarding our Trans Canal cruise, this is the wording regarding pre-cruise testing.  Pay close attention to the wording.

"Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship safely. Viking has decided to require that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 48 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country."

In my view, there's a lot of wiggle room in this language.  First, it says you have to take a test, nothing about getting the results back, before boarding (although airlines will not allow you to board flight if you don't meet the destination country's testing requirements).  Second, it says boarding, not flight departure time, and most international flights board about 45 minutes before departure. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trident said:

In our case that will only be 4 hours difference.  The problem is the Monday morning flight.... have to test on a Sat.  They are telling us because of the weekend expect 4 to 5 days because of the current surge.  When I talked to the Viking Supervisor she said that "just have some thing in your hand on your first flight out" ...... very concerning to me.

Maybe leave a day early and get tested in Dallas Airport??  

11 hours ago, Selion said:

Informative write-up, thank you for pointing out this additional source for info...

I would add a cautionary note - if you are flying independently, note that Viking requires your PCR testing to be 48 hrs before BOARDING THE SHIP, not the plane...a potential big hiccup for many cruisers, I expect. Per Viking: (underlining mine)

Important: If you are traveling independently and have made your own air arrangements, please ensure that you have checked local requirements for your arrival port and contacted your air carrier for their requirements. Additionally, if you are traveling independently, outside of your home country and before your first Viking activity – embarking ship or joining a pre-extension – a PCR test must be taken 48 hours prior to your first Viking activity.

12 hours ago, Selion said:

Excellent---thanks! I now see that in MVJ, it directs you to the Resources tab (although they really should make it a link IMHO). I should have read more carefully.

And you are right, the country specific testing is completely different than the Viking required testing, although they could overlap.

If you need country specific testing---you will have to provide that at airport check-in in order to board the plane. We are departing out of US so I will only need to provide my negative COVID test at embarkation.