New pre-cruise protocols-booster requirement and testing changes

broker1217

55 minutes ago, rrgator said:

Got the same email last night and to put it mildly, I am pissed.  I had scheduled PCR tests within 72 hours of departure and now they have changed to 48 hours.  I wonder if Viking realizes how difficult it is to get a PCR test in that timeframe, not to mention, nobody will guarantee that you have the results within the 48 hour timeframe.  It's not like they're PCR testing sites on every corner.  And with the current concern with Covid, lots of people are trying to get tested.  In addition, the way I read this email is that it is intended perhaps for people flying directly to the ship versus folks doing any of the pre-cruise packages.  For example we are leaving Tuesday, January 18, for Iguazu Falls, and won't be on the Octantis until Monday, January 24, more than 48 hours from when we left home.  Maybe I am reading too much into this change, but I am trying to reschedule the PCR tests.  I have been in contact with my travel agent regarding canceling, which we can do, receiving a voucher for a future cruise.  I know that Covid is not Viking's fault and that they are doing everything they can to protect their passengers and crew, but this change at this late date is very concerning.

The US did the exact same thing to us when we were in Santiago last month……only we went from 72 hours to 24 hours.  Our PCR results from our last test on the ship were not any good as we had a free day in Santiago before we caught our flight in the evening.  So we spent the day scrambling for a test and got the results 3 hours before we left for the airport.

Interesting that Viking is stating 48 hours instead of 2 days.  That makes me wonder if they are really counting the hours based on when the test/sample was collected.  Reason is that my outbound flight departs at 5:30PM on 3/11.  Most places stop collecting samples by 5PM.  That means I'll need to schedule a test in the morning of 3/10, then hoping the lab can get the result back in half a day or pay to have the PCR done at one of those sites that offer expedited service.  If it's 2 days, then a test done in the morning of 3/9 would meet the time frame.

So...  Am I freaking out over the verbiage, or is Viking that strict on timing?

27 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

We have an extension to Chile on the Octantis cruise also.  My understanding from the Viking TA is when we land in Chile we have a test at the airport and quarantine in our room until we get test results. After the test we are free to go into the town.  Then we have a daily test at the hotel we are staying at.  We have a test before we leave to Argentina and get a test when we board the ship and will be in our room until results.  It looks like we will have a covid test every day until we leave for home.

The issue with us is the 48 hours PCR test will only work for us if we do the Rapid PCR.  Viking travel agent said it has to be the PCR.  Since we leave on a Monday we are trying to get tested on a Sunday.  I think Walgreen in our area does it.

At least know that Chile seems to be incredibly compliant about wearing masks outdoors.  Many had on kn-95 masks.  I didn’t see the outside mask wearing so much in other South American countries last month.  

2 minutes ago, Selion said:

Interesting that Viking is stating 48 hours instead of 2 days.  That makes me wonder if they are really counting the hours based on when the test/sample was collected.  Reason is that my outbound flight departs at 5:30PM on 3/11.  Most places stop collecting samples by 5PM.  That means I'll need to schedule a test in the morning of 3/10, then hoping the lab can get the result back in half a day or pay to have the PCR done at one of those sites that offer expedited service.  If it's 2 days, then a test done in the morning of 3/9 would meet the time frame.

If you get the results by email, even if you don’t get the results by the time you get on your flight, you will likely get them before you land.  I would think that should be sufficient. 

31 minutes ago, Selion said:

Just remember it is 48 hours from when the test was taken... not when you get the results back.  We went thru this on a trip to Maui.  I spent some time today on the phone with a Viking TA.  They are as confused as we are.  Maybe in a few days they will have more information.

48 hours is tough now. Even Walgreen's in our area is currently saying 72 hours, with no guarantee. And if the Walgreen's you use utilizes Aegis for their testing, they are currently experiencing FedEx disruptions due to winter storm impact.

Our worst case is we drive an hour to a facility that provides same day results for $200/pp.

Many facilities are saying 2 business days---and we leave on a Sunday. 

3 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

I guess that keeps me off the ships, I had 2 Moderna shots and now developed a heart issue, that my Dr says MIGHT be a side effect from the vaccine…….  So I am very reluctant to take a third shot and test that theory.   Hopefully this all calms down and we get back to some normality.

Depends on the countries you want to visit. medical exemptions are usually for essential purposes visits, which are not holidays. Lots of countries are now requiring a booster for non essential visitors. In Europe it is generally accepted that we are looking at at minimum annual boosters, in line with flu jabs

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

If you get the results by email, even if you don’t get the results by the time you get on your flight, you will likely get them before you land.  I would think that should be sufficient. 

Depends if it is a Viking requirement or a requirement of the country you are travelling to, or both. 

Trying to pull the wool over the eyes of immigration officials is generally considered a bad call 

1 minute ago, broker1217 said:

48 hours is tough now. Even Walgreen's in our area is currently saying 72 hours, with no guarantee. And if the Walgreen's you use utilizes Aegis for their testing, they are currently experiencing FedEx disruptions due to winter storm impact.

Our worst case is we drive an hour to a facility that provides same day results for $200/pp.

Many facilities are saying 2 business days---and we leave on a Sunday. 

If I understand right you can do the Rapid PCR test Called ID now at Walgreen)..... IF I UNDERSTAND.. ( from being on the phone with Viking today) you can do the Rapid Diagnostic test.  The Walgreen told me when I went down and talked to them they would have results in less than 24 hours.  Viking told me the Rapid Antigen test would NOT work.  Some one correct me if they told me wrong.

4 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

I guess that keeps me off the ships, I had 2 Moderna shots and now developed a heart issue, that my Dr says MIGHT be a side effect from the vaccine…….  So I am very reluctant to take a third shot and test that theory.   Hopefully this all calms down and we get back to some normality.

Depends on the countries you want to visit. medical exemptions are usually for essential purposes visits, which are not holidays. Lots of countries are now requiring a booster for non essential visitors. In Europe it is generally accepted that we are looking at at minimum annual boosters, in line with flu jabs

9 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

If I understand right you can do the Rapid PCR test Called ID now at Walgreen)..... IF I UNDERSTAND.. ( from being on the phone with Viking today) you can do the Rapid Diagnostic test.  The Walgreen told me when I went down and talked to them they would have results in less than 24 hours.  Viking told me the Rapid Antigen test would NOT work.  Some one correct me if they told me wrong.

We had the Rapid PCR test at Walgreens in November in order to return to Canada and we had the results via email in less than 3 hours. Things could have changed since then.  

27 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Well….  Mrs Banjo and I have traveled and cruised extensively around most of the world.  We were hoping to include a cruise to , (hopefully), see the northern lights in March, that’s now off the table.  Then we had planned a trip to Italy with a cruise from Rome to Barcelona and then on to Egypt and Africa later in 2022. All of this is either cancelled or on hold at this point.  Like I said, hopefully we return to some normalcy at some point.

46 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Like I said, hopefully we return to some normalcy at some point.

And yet we probably all said that last year at this time!

All these hoops to jump through to get on a ship - just not sure that I'll want to do it in a few months - unless things really do settle down. These protocols / testing requirements will likely be with us through a good part of '22 I'd think. As I get older, simpler and less complicated travel planning has increasingly more appeal. This current cruising environment is just the opposite. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

All these hoops to jump through to get on a ship - just not sure that I'll want to do it in a few months - unless things really do settle down. These protocols / testing requirements will likely be with us through a good part of '22 I'd think. As I get older, simpler and less complicated travel planning has increasingly more appeal. This current cruising environment is just the opposite. 

We have to jump through hoops just to get on an airplane. We are cruising in May with Viking and unless things change drastically, nothing will stop us. We completed our flight reservations yesterday — Toronto London Oslo. We’re cruising to Amsterdam and flying to Santorini. We have been vaccinated three times and will get a fourth if our province says it’s necessary. The only thing that will stop us is if there is a VOC that is worse than Delta that can break through the vaccines. The restrictions are bothersome for sure, but our attitude is bring it on and we’ll deal with it at the time. We can hardly wait!!

• Like 5

Unfortunately, this is the new reality, and it will not go away soon.

If you want to travel--you will get used to doing pre-departure testing and various country specific approvals. You will be boostered and have follow up vaccines as needed.

Then do re-entry testing for US (and other countries). Plus testing during your trip, with temporary quarantines as required.

You will follow the mask and distancing mandates for your cruise ship or countries that you visit. This may include contact tracing via an app or device, or showing proof of vaccination/QR code to enter a shop or restaurant.

We love to travel so we are adapting. I actually look forward to a vaccine passport and some sort of global approval system.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I totally agree with you.   When I  was 65 when my wife told me I want to go to Antartica I told her we will some day. Made reservations in 2019 for 2022.  Never really got to talk to her when the aneurysm hit her that night and she died.  Now that I am 70 I am taking my daughter in her place  after my wife died.  Many hoops to go thru you are so right.  My daughter just went in yesterday for a biopsy.  

I thought I was tough doing the Chicago marathon and one other marathon this year ( which my wife did in in 2018) but my daughter is tougher. She did a 128 mile bike race in August.  Should I wait another 2 or 3 years?

Hoops are small for me.  Maybe larger for other folks.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I totally agree with you.   When I  was 65 when my wife told me I want to go to Antartica I told her we will some day. Made reservations in 2019 for 2022.  Never really got to talk to her when the aneurysm hit her that night and she died.  Now that I am 70 I am taking my daughter in her place  after my wife died.  Many hoops to go thru you are so right.  My daughter just went in yesterday for a biopsy.  

I thought I was tough doing the Chicago marathon and one other marathon this year ( which my wife did in in 2018) but my daughter is tougher. She did a 128 mile bike race in August.  Should I wait another 2 or 3 years?

Hoops are small for me.  Maybe larger for other folks.

I'm with you. I will jump through the hoops--really, they are relatively minor annoyances. 

We have done it for a couple cruises and land vacations outside of US. And US changed the testing re-enry protocol while we were in Nevis from 72 to 24 hours. Not a huge deal. We got tested the day before we flew home, got results at 3 AM next morning and submitted to Verifly. We made it home. Worst case was being stuck on Nevis for a few days which is not exactly bad.

We are mid-60's and completely willing to jump through hoops and follow protocols to be safe while traveling. The runway is getting shorter and we aren't willing to sit at home waiting for 'normalcy' that will probably not return. But we are perhaps glass half full--not upset that things are not as they used to be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

The runway is getting shorter and we aren't willing to sit at home waiting for 'normalcy' that will probably not return. But we are perhaps glass half full--not upset that things are not as they used to be.

Exactly our thoughts. 

• Like 1

Also fully vaccinated and boosted, wear masks, work from home etc. Just got a positive COVID-19 test result after developing a bad cold and a subsequent trip to our PCP. Most likely from an asymptomatic family member over Christmas holiday. (all are vaccinated and boosted btw)

No guarantees, and now fully aware that we could test positive on a PCR test onboard even after a full recovery. Called Viking and a doctor note has no bearing, we would be quarantined or worse if we test positive even after no longer contagious. After reading the passenger ticket contract we will likely be denied boarding the ship so we have no choice but to cancel. Extremely disappointed. Cruiser beware. 

• Thanks 1

Have had all 3 Pfizer shots and still came down with Covid this week. So now there is a possibility I will test positive for my March cruise with a PCR test?? Because it can detect lingering viral material months later?? I could cry 😢.  What to do? Start getting PCR tests a week before the cruise to see if anything shows up? 

• Thanks 1

The new go straight to your room rules - surely they have to change embarkation times.  I can’t see all the rooms being properly clean for 11 am.  Ok not everyone turns up then but how will they know who will and get their rooms ready?

1 hour ago, uktog said:

The new go straight to your room rules - surely they have to change embarkation times.  I can’t see all the rooms being properly clean for 11 am.  Ok not everyone turns up then but how will they know who will and get their rooms ready?

Presumably Viking know the flight times for the majority, so can plan around transfer bus arrivals? 

Just now, KBs mum said:

Presumably Viking know the flight times for the majority, so can plan around transfer bus arrivals? 

Doesn’t cover those coming in the days before 

34 minutes ago, Jjg34219 said:

So aside from all this, once onboard, what are the masking requirements?

we mask responsibly now here in Florida when we are indoors out in public, but we feel no need when outdoors. 

When we were on the Iceland trip it really wasn't that bad.  Masking when out of the room, lots of hand washing, covid test every day, social distancing, and only Viking excursions.  If I remember they reduced the tables at most of the dining rooms.