New pre-cruise protocols-booster requirement and testing changes

broker1217

31 minutes ago, NewSalty said:

Informative write-up, thank you for pointing out this additional source for info...

I would add a cautionary note - if you are flying independently, note that Viking requires your PCR testing to be 48 hrs before BOARDING THE SHIP, not the plane...a potential big hiccup for many cruisers, I expect. Per Viking: (underlining mine)

Important: If you are traveling independently and have made your own air arrangements, please ensure that you have checked local requirements for your arrival port and contacted your air carrier for their requirements. Additionally, if you are traveling independently, outside of your home country and before your first Viking activity – embarking ship or joining a pre-extension – a PCR test must be taken 48 hours prior to your first Viking activity.

Those of us on the Jan. 24th Northern Lights cruise received an email on January 5th with the following instructions:

• Pre-Cruise COVID-19 Testing

Effective for January 15, 2022 and until further notice

Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship safely. Viking has decided to require that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 48 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

This email doesn't say anything about taking independent (non-Viking arranged) flights.  However, I imagine - but not clearly stated in the email - that if someone is traveling independently and will arrive at their destination a few days before the cruise embarkation date, they would need to take a PCR test 48 hours before boarding the ship.  

8 hours ago, Moonlion said:

This email doesn't say anything about taking independent (non-Viking arranged) flights.  However, I imagine - but not clearly stated in the email - that if someone is traveling independently and will arrive at their destination a few days before the cruise embarkation date, they would need to take a PCR test 48 hours before boarding the ship.  

This is exactly what happened to us going to Italy in November.  (At that time it was 72 and not 48 hours).  We flew independently (not Viking Air) and had 4 days in Rome before boarding the ship.  Viking required us to get a PCR test 72 hours ahead of our first flight (moot point since Italy required 48 hours PCR ahead of arrival in Italy - at a large cost to us).  Then Viking also required us to find, take, and get results back from a PCR test taken in Rome within 72 hours of boarding the ship (at a large cost to us).  Then we had to take a PCR test (up the nose) at the pier to get on the gangway.  Then we had to take a PCR test (saliva) in our stateroom.  So 4 PCR tests in 5 days for us.  Was getting pretty familiar with them.

As long as this Omicron is rampant, it almost makes no sense to do any pre or post cruise activities.  Just fly in, fly out.   Starting to re-evaluate how much we want to actually cruise.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Moonlion said:

Those of us on the Jan. 24th Northern Lights cruise received an email on January 5th with the following instructions:

• Pre-Cruise COVID-19 Testing

Effective for January 15, 2022 and until further notice

Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship safely. Viking has decided to require that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 48 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

If you follow the procedure recommended by Selion a few posts above, on the Resources page for the Norway cruise you will find the exact paragraph I copied above for "UK Pre-Cruise Embarkation Requirements".  Which rule wins - the Resource Page or the email?  Got me....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donna Claire said:

Viking refuses refunds if you can not take the booster.  They will basically keep your money forever. I was a fan and kept my money with them for over two years. This is very sad to say the least.

If you are posting to look for sympathy or to vent, it is difficult to respond, as you have provided very little details.  Just sounds like a vent.

What are the specifics?  When did you get 1st and 2nd vaccines?  What are the reasons you are unable to get a booster?  What cruise is it and when?   Could you move it to a later cruise in a year or more when likely the requirements aren't there?   All kinds of possibilities come to mind, rather than ranting.

Also can you contact Viking at tellus@viking.com and give a very carefully, non-venting description of the issues you may have and suggest that perhaps you both can come to some sort of negotiated solution?

• Like 6

We have our boosters and vouchers from a cancelled cruise.... we are struggling with the PCR test requirement. We have no offering where we live (PEI)...only antigent testing....and looking for options, it appears it is hard to find the rapid PCR test anywhere.....which means we might have to spend a day or two on route....getting the test done at Toronto airport ($140 each) and then waiting 12-24 hours for the result (they are currently not offering the rapid PCR test)....if Viking allowed antigen testing we could get that done day before we leave home (for $89 each) and be good to get into US as well as the ship.....anything in the tea leaves that might point to Viking changing this requirement?

4 hours ago, powderhorn said:

We have our boosters and vouchers from a cancelled cruise.... we are struggling with the PCR test requirement. We have no offering where we live (PEI)...only antigent testing....and looking for options, it appears it is hard to find the rapid PCR test anywhere.....which means we might have to spend a day or two on route....getting the test done at Toronto airport ($140 each) and then waiting 12-24 hours for the result (they are currently not offering the rapid PCR test)....if Viking allowed antigen testing we could get that done day before we leave home (for $89 each) and be good to get into US as well as the ship.....anything in the tea leaves that might point to Viking changing this requirement?

There is an operation in Ontario called FHHealth (https://www.fhhealth.com/). They have a location just adjacent to Toronto airport at 6585 Airport Road, Mississauga. They offer PCR tests at $160 (plus tax) for 24 hour results, or 1 hour results for the painful sum of $350 plus tax. Expensive, but it might be cheaper than staying over a day or two at Toronto hotel prices.

I'm not sure I'd bet on Viking moving away from the PCR tests anytime soon - especially given their commitment to daily onboard PCR testing. Hope that helps ... 🍺🥌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

There is an operation in Ontario called FHHealth (https://www.fhhealth.com/). They have a location just adjacent to Toronto airport at 6585 Airport Road, Mississauga. They offer PCR tests at $160 (plus tax) for 24 hour results, or 1 hour results for the painful sum of $350 plus tax. Expensive, but it might be cheaper than staying over a day or two at Toronto hotel prices.

I'm not sure I'd bet on Viking moving away from the PCR tests anytime soon - especially given their commitment to daily onboard PCR testing. Hope that helps ... 🍺🥌

My research pointed to switch health who provides the service at the airport (parking garage)....their price for 12-24 hr result is $140.....

https://switchhealth.ca/en/travel/pearson-departures/

10 hours ago, Selion said:

Thanks...I read that as well and conflicts with their e-mail sent out on the 5th.....I sent my concern to viking in an e-mail to tellus@viking.com and will see if they can clarify the contradiction between their website and the e-mail they sent out......:-)

3 hours ago, powderhorn said:

Thanks...I read that as well and conflicts with their e-mail sent out on the 5th.....I sent my concern to viking in an e-mail to tellus@viking.com and will see if they can clarify the contradiction between their website and the e-mail they sent out......:-)

I'm going to say the contradiction exists because USA is the only country where you can enter without a PCR test.  Operationally it's easier to send an email blast stating PCR tests are required, since it'll meet COVID testing requirements for most, if not every, countries.  While on the website, they can be more detailed and provide more information regarding entry into that country, and embarking from that country.

Of course that's my conjecture.  One more note, US CDC is still accepting rapid antigen test results within 1 day of boarding the flight.  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Viking can ask for only PCR test results but based on their document from Jan 5, they are not.

image.thumb.png.7099502d5446f8b43be126af20bd450f.png

36 minutes ago, Selion said:

I'm going to say the contradiction exists because USA is the only country where you can enter without a PCR test. 

You can enter the UK without a PCR test which is relevant to the Northern Lights cruises embarking at Tilbury

5 minutes ago, uktog said:

You can enter the UK without a PCR test which is relevant to the Northern Lights cruises embarking at Tilbury

Hi Ann

I know it’s off topic but I do know like us you regularly cruise on Azamara.

Not sure as yet we have met onboard.

We have just booked our 1st Viking cruise in the Caribbean this March

As a seasoned Azamara cruiser do you think we shall find the Viking brand to our liking?

Many thanks

Vicki

2 minutes ago, gymfreak said:

Hi Ann

I know it’s off topic but I do know like us you regularly cruise on Azamara.

Not sure as yet we have met onboard.

We have just booked our 1st Viking cruise in the Caribbean this March

As a seasoned Azamara cruiser do you think we shall find the Viking brand to our liking?

Many thanks

Vicki

Hi Vicki

Our first Viking cruise could be this March but going to find the Northern Lights.  We are going because so many Azamara friends have said try them and we wanted to see the Lights.  Hope you enjoy your Caribbean trip

• Like 2

1 minute ago, uktog said:

Hi Vicki

Our first Viking cruise could be this March but going to find the Northern Lights.  We are going because so many Azamara friends have said try them and we wanted to see the Lights.  Hope you enjoy your Caribbean trip

Wow that is something still on my bucket list!

Looks like a voyage of discovery for both of us.

Have an amazing time

Vicki

On 1/12/2022 at 7:41 PM, CCWineLover said:

Starting to re-evaluate how much we want to actually cruise.

I wasn't going to say this, but then got to your last statement and saw you beat me to it! This is the thought that was running through my mind while reading your tale of the PCR testing. We have nothing international till next January, so perhaps by then things will be a bit simpler. Time will tell. 

22 hours ago, Selion said:

I'm going to say the contradiction exists because USA is the only country where you can enter without a PCR test.  Operationally it's easier to send an email blast stating PCR tests are required, since it'll meet COVID testing requirements for most, if not every, countries.  While on the website, they can be more detailed and provide more information regarding entry into that country, and embarking from that country.

Of course that's my conjecture.  One more note, US CDC is still accepting rapid antigen test results within 1 day of boarding the flight.  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Viking can ask for only PCR test results but based on their document from Jan 5, they are not.

image.thumb.png.7099502d5446f8b43be126af20bd450f.png

The lady from Viking that responded to my e-mail said essentially that....US (including PR) currently only requires and antigen test so that simplifys greatly our testing and journey to the pier....now to see how the booking process goes with these vouchers.....thanks for your reply!