**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #2 **** JANUARY 6, 2002

CeleBrat

DH and I just got our NEGATIVE  rapid antigen test results and we are good to go for Saturday's departure. We had an appointment at CVS and it could not have been easier. They send us a text linking to our results which we downloaded on our phones. I was pleased that we were able to do self-swabbing as she watched - much more comfortable than getting jabbed by someone else.

• Like 1

I know it just changed yesterday, testing 3 days instead of 2.  I tried adding my test to VeriFLY but it won't let me, says 48 hours.  I'm hoping its just an update issue.  Does anyone know if this will be a problem? Yes i'll have hard copies as back up. I've read the app is being ignored

As I was googling around tonight trying to find our best option for testing, I came across an at-home proctored option from iHealth Labs for $20. I verified with iHealth that we can use tests that we previously purchased as long as they are iHealth brand and unopened. I wondered if anyone has looked into and/or used this option. It seems like it should meet requirements. They have excellent customer service, BTW. I received a response to my emailed question within 20 minutes.

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service

Sorta freaking out here.  First cruise since Covid.  Today was the first day we could get tested for an upcoming cruise.  We live in a smaller town and there are no rapid tests around here.  We did PCR but testing site says it will be 48-72 hours.  Any suggestions if it doesn’t come before we have to leave for the cruise?  Can anyone help calm this old ladies nerves?

On 2/28/2022 at 7:25 AM, RichYak said:

You are conflating the CDC phrases fully vaccinated and up to date. Both groups in your examples are fully vaccinated but only one is up to date.

Corrections to your examples:

Those vaccinated less than 5 months ago are considered fully vaccinated AND up to date.

Those who are eligible for the booster and have NOT taken it are considered fully vaccinated but NOT up to date.

Good point regarding those things. Since I keep getting confused myself.

So now I'm trying to just clarify (and maybe I'm overthinking it). Can a fully vaxed, but not up to date person, take a rapid test at CVS? Or does it need to be a PCR one? I apologize if this was asked before, but this thread is 14 pages. Thanks!

10 hours ago, h2omlns said:

Sorta freaking out here.  First cruise since Covid.  Today was the first day we could get tested for an upcoming cruise.  We live in a smaller town and there are no rapid tests around here.  We did PCR but testing site says it will be 48-72 hours.  Any suggestions if it doesn’t come before we have to leave for the cruise?  Can anyone help calm this old ladies nerves?

Find someplace that does rapid testing today. Don't rely on the timing of a PCR test. Are you flying to the cruise port? Arrange testing at the airport.

9 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

Good point regarding those things. Since I keep getting confused myself.

So now I'm trying to just clarify (and maybe I'm overthinking it). Can a fully vaxed, but not up to date person, take a rapid test at CVS? Or does it need to be a PCR one? I apologize if this was asked before, but this thread is 14 pages. Thanks!

Rapid test is fine for everyone.

2 hours ago, mdin said:

I just attempted to schedule a covid test appointment at CVS, however the travel option is no longer available. Has anyone else encountered that? 

Answer "Yes" to the first question. It's truthful and gets you where you need to be without the travel question.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LynnB said:

I cruise on Sunday. I’ve had my 2 shots but not the booster. Can I do the proctored test anytime after midnight tonight? Thanks

Yes. As long as the result says the test was taken on March 4, you are good. It doesn't matter what time on March 4.

On 3/3/2022 at 10:03 AM, mdin said:

I just attempted to schedule a covid test appointment at CVS, however the travel option is no longer available. Has anyone else encountered that? 

Yes, we went to schedule ours for our March 19th cruise and the travel question is not there.. Answer the questions honestly and says not covered and will cost $138 each!  My medical clinic at work will do the test for us but is that acceptable?  It is a  RN but no physician on site.. Results on company letterhead..  I think i may call Carnival and ask.. those would be free.. 

49 minutes ago, jjdmom8 said:

My medical clinic at work will do the test for us but is that acceptable?  It is a  RN but no physician on site.. Results on company letterhead..  I think i may call Carnival and ask.. those would be free.. 

I'm going to say it SHOULD work, if it's printed or typewritten and has all the information that Carnival says they need. I've heard of several people trying similar things in other threads and have not yet seen a follow up saying whether they tried it or not, or whether it worked. I'm asking nicely that whatever you find out and whatever you do, please tell us what happens. Thanks in advance!

On 2/26/2022 at 9:47 PM, Buffettfan 225 said:

Here is my Step by step experience for Binax Now Home test (NOT the self test type)I did the “proctored test precruise today” wanted to give the anxious cruisers a boost of easiness. First cleaned off large area for laptop to sit and plenty of room for test card to not fall off table (IMO do not use a desk- as have to put the test card undisturbed in front of keyboard for 15min) 
1.Create NAVICA app, or as I did, I logged in thru emed whom bought test kits from. Answer screen questions on location etc., and it runs a test of sound,camera, mic etc. 

2.Have test UNOPENED by you, I had two by me in case of a defect. Also an ID, scissors to help open box. 
3.click test- I was next at 10:30am on a Sat. 
4. show them the sticker with QR code using web camera holding it close. Focus it on little green square as guide. They noticed my ID and test registered name was missing middle- I left no middle name as my covid card is written without middle name and MUST match test. I also did not use middle name on Carnival booking. 
5.per proctor now open blue box- inside is packet, swab and liquid bottle.

6.Tip laptop lid so can see card an likely half of yourself. Open packet with card per proctor, laying in front of keyboard like an open book with holes on right. I made sure to flex it so it laid flat, Touch only edges.

6.Per proctor Open vial, hold vertical so 5-6 drops fill small hole on top- more is better.

7.per proctor open swab by stick end- swab circling each nostril 3x

8.now proctor has you slide swab end into larger hole and twist it 3 times. 
9.proctor will tell you to take off paper on edge and close the booklet. DO NOT touch it at all, they will video monitor it for 15min with timer on screen. 
10.You can see the liquid moving up toward control line. It will be horizontal lavender. Hopefully only line you see!

11.Be in front of computer at 14-15min it will chime. A new proctor will come back on and ask a few questions. Pay attention! Hope you see one line = negative. They will log off.

12.My results were almost immediate in email. click on link to download and print.  The NAVICA app also has results button on bottom left click on it. 
* my glitch it only lets me log in to my NAVICA app only for results and not see family. I had spouse log in on his cell. 
Cruising in two days!!! 
Hope this long of a post is allowed, I was worried about using my laptop camera for the first time but worked great. I also watched a YouTube video, on Binax home testing. 
Any questions ask- sailing Radiance 4 Monday 28th. 
ps- if you have a pet maybe do in a closed room or sit and guard your test. If it gets touched during 15min is invalid.

We have to wait to open the box when told to do so? So does this mean that I can't use one my test and my travel companion use the other one in the box?

Help.  Re Covid testing, does Rapid Antigen test work for Carnival or do we need PCR because we are told PCR can take 3-5 days to get results.  Second question:  I tried to sign up at CVS and once I answered their questions, no exposure or symptoms, they said I did not qualify for a free test.  If you need test for travel, do you need to pay for the test?  Will Medicare reimburse us?  Thanks for any help you folks can give us!

2 hours ago, TiggerLuv2Cruise said:

Help.  Re Covid testing, does Rapid Antigen test work for Carnival or do we need PCR because we are told PCR can take 3-5 days to get results.  Second question:  I tried to sign up at CVS and once I answered their questions, no exposure or symptoms, they said I did not qualify for a free test.  If you need test for travel, do you need to pay for the test?  Will Medicare reimburse us?  Thanks for any help you folks can give us!

Rapid antigen test is accepted. Answer "Yes" to the first question CVS asks. It's truthful and the test will be covered.

2 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

The language “3 days prior” is confusing. 

is a negative test result on a Friday good for a Monday departure?

I just looked at the Carnival website and agree that this is confusing.  I really think it has been written incorrectly based on what was on the site just a short time ago.  From Carnival's Return to Service FAQs:

Effective with sailings departing March 1, 2022, guests who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their test within three days prior to sailing. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing.

The example given for a Saturday sailing is two days prior not three which makes no sense to me.  If a guest is up to date, then three days prior for a Saturday should be Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday as well as Saturday.  This example is written as it was in the past with the two-days-prior requirement which does not include Wednesday.

4 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

The language “3 days prior” is confusing. 

is a negative test result on a Friday good for a Monday departure?

1 hour ago, day-day said:

I just looked at the Carnival website and agree that this is confusing.  I really think it has been written incorrectly based on what was on the site just a short time ago.  From Carnival's Return to Service FAQs:

Effective with sailings departing March 1, 2022, guests who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their test within three days prior to sailing. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing.

The example given for a Saturday sailing is two days prior not three which makes no sense to me.  If a guest is up to date, then three days prior for a Saturday should be Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday as well as Saturday.  This example is written as it was in the past with the two-days-prior requirement which does not include Wednesday.

Okay, the above was in FAQ's, I just looked at Carnival's COVID-19 Protocols and see that the three day example when the guest is "up to date" is stated differently from FAQ's and is what I remember from several days ago:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Effective with sailings departing as of March 1, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing.

Example: If the sailing is on Saturday, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test as early as Wednesday and as late as Saturday, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in. A fully vaccinated guest who is not up to date with their vaccines may take their test no earlier than Thursday and as late as Saturday.

So, based on this, a Monday departure for an up to date guest would allow testing on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

Before boarding at the terminal:

1. Can I present my COVID test results printed on paper, or must I present the test results on my phone or in a health app?

2. Do the terminal workers just look at the test results (date and negative/positive status), or do they scan the QR code to verify that information?

On 3/4/2022 at 4:46 PM, DEWGirl said:

We have to wait to open the box when told to do so? So does this mean that I can't use one my test and my travel companion use the other one in the box?

Having the same concern.  Maybe the 2 pack has 2 test kits inside?  Hoping someone who has done it can advise.  m--