Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

5 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

In January, we were able to get rapid antigen tests at a CVS drive-thru.   They accepted insurance without any questions.  Now, I'm hearing that they are asking for cash payment if you are testing for travel - $100 for the test and $39 for the Minute Clinic fee. 

Does anyone have recent experience with using CVS for travel-related testing?

We are in California and made appointments this morning for the rapid Antigen test. We recieved our test results this morning, had results in 20 minutes. 

All you do is answer yes to the first question and it's free. Question states are you seeking a COVID-19 test because of high transmission rates and difficulty maintaining recommended social distancing? I do have insurance though. 

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Just read the Biden Admin gave an ok for those over 50 and with certain med conditions to get another booster shot.  Has anyone who's recently spoken with Princess been told if they fall into this category but don't choose to get the 2nd booster they will need to test at 2 days instead of 3 ? 

thanks

1 hour ago, runner2013 said:

Hi all, 

Just read the Biden Admin gave an ok for those over 50 and with certain med conditions to get another booster shot.  Has anyone who's recently spoken with Princess been told if they fall into this category but don't choose to get the 2nd booster they will need to test at 2 days instead of 3

Excellent question! For vaccinated individuals without recommended boosters, the only way you'll be affected is if you do an antigen test, as that needs to be done within two days. If you don't have recommended boosters, but have been vaccinated, PCR tests are still good for three days out. 

Safest way to comply is get a PCR test, if available. They are good for three days regardless of vaccination status.

Kevin

Edited by kml246
Add info

57 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

Hi all, 

Just read the Biden Admin gave an ok for those over 50 and with certain med conditions to get another booster shot.  Has anyone who's recently spoken with Princess been told if they fall into this category but don't choose to get the 2nd booster they will need to test at 2 days instead of 3 ? 

thanks

Our cruise leaves in 9 days. We are "up to date" so I did the chat with Princess as our tests are already scheduled 3 days before and boosters must be at least 7 days before. I was told that we would still be in the 3 day window if we did not get the second booster in the next 2 days.

1 hour ago, kml246 said:

Plus, are these boosters recommended or just approved? I haven't read where they're recommended, yet. 

Some medical authorities recommend now, some recommend to wait. And to make the water muddier. Princess health protocols uses the words "when eligible".

Edited by Musky Ike
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

Some medical authorities recommend now, some recommend to wait. And to make the water muddier. Princess health protocols uses the words "when eligible".

Yes, they do. Thanks for pointing that out. Fortunately, the only benefit right now with being fully vaccinated and fully boosted is you can go three days for an antigen test. PCR is three days either way. 

7 hours ago, kml246 said:

Plus, are these boosters recommended or just approved? I haven't read where they're recommended, yet. 

I'm so frustrated. Over 50 so supposedly I can get it. Yet every time I try to schedule a shot I'm turned down because I have no risk factors. Not that I want any but how can I be up to date if I don't get a 2nd booster? (in California, cruising in 3 weeks)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm so frustrated. Over 50 so supposedly I can get it. Yet every time I try to schedule a shot I'm turned down because I have no risk factors. Not that I want any but how can I be up to date if I don't get a 2nd booster? (in California, cruising in 3 weeks)

As it is only "available" and not "recommended" you are fully vaccinated with only a single booster. My wife inquired at Walgreen's last night about the 2nd booster and, despite the fact that the "official" info says "at least 4 months after the first booster" she was told that Walgreens will only be offering it to people "at least 6 months after the first booster".  We were hoping to get the second booster before sailing and are already more than 4 months out. Waiting until 6 months have passed would put us at May 1st at the earliest. We sail out of Vancouver on May 2nd so that doesn't work for us.

I'm going to contact CVS - that's where we got the first booster - and see if they will offer the second booster sooner.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I had the same issues too trying to find a pharmacy that would give it.  Cruising in 2.5 weeks, and would like the shot.  I contacted my primary cares Dr. office, and they will do it for my husband and I  as a walk in.  I bit more of a hassle than CVS or other pharmacy, but worth the trip to know I can get it before the cruise.  You might want to try your Dr's office if you can't find a pharmacy to do it.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Do you have a CVS in your area?  Tuesday evening I had no trouble booking appointments for today (yesterday had times too but we were busy) and just received our 2nd boosters 2 1/2 hours ago.  I did notice something I don't remember from the first booster:  in addition to asking your age it asked when was your last booster.  Only after entering that information did it say something like "congratulations, you are qualified to receive this booster."  Our first booster was 6 months and 4 days ago but I don't have any idea what the would be considered too recent a first booster to qualify for the second.

Edited by capriccio

Thanks @wendellman@Thrak& @hubble but the only reason I want another shot is to get the antigen test 3 days before the cruise. Asking Princess if I can do the antigen on day 2 or 3 before cruise.

@capriccioCVS, Safeway, & Walgreens turned me down. Asking my contact in Customer Relations .... hated to both her but wanted to know which day to do antigen test

Edited by Ombud

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@capriccioCVS, Safeway, & Walgreens turned me down. Asking my contact in Customer Relations .... hated to both her but wanted to know which day to do antigen test

How frustrating!  How long has it been since your first booster?

3 minutes ago, capriccio said:

How frustrating!  How long has it been since your first booster?

11-19-2021. County health just turned me down. Meet age requirement but no risk factors. I can get it across the bridge but not here. Appointments are too scarce right now. County suggests trying for a Saturday open clinic slot but thats turned me away before. Not driving 20 miles to get something I only want to take an antigen test 1 day earlier. (Yes I'll regret that if appts for the test fill up too)

Edited by Ombud

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

11-19-2021. County health just turned me down. Meet age requirement but no risk factors. I can get it across the bridge but not here. Appointments are too scarce right now. County suggests trying for a Saturday open clinic slot but thats turned me away before. Not driving 20 miles to get something I only want to take an antigen test 1 day earlier. (Yes I'll regret that if appts for the test fill up too)

They need to read the CDC guidance that came out two days ago (https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/s0328-covid-19-boosters.html )

Following FDA’s regulatory actionexternal icon today, CDC is updating its recommendations to allow certain immunocompromised individuals and people over the age of 50 who received an initial booster dose at least 4 months ago to be eligible for another mRNA booster to increase their protection against severe disease from COVID-19.

The FDA announcement on the same day is similar (https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-second-booster-dose-two-covid-19-vaccines-older-and).

Maybe there is a shortage of vaccine in California, unlike Florida where there is, I would guess from our vaccination numbers, a glut.

10 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

@Ombud where are you seeing that you can’t get the antigen test 3 days before with just the single booster?  It doesn’t say anywhere that the 4th shot is required.  Did you not have a third shot? 

No. I had 2 shots. J&J shot = fully vaxed. Moderna booster = up to date for last cruise. I was confused by this:

20220331_141231.thumb.jpg.10ccb6c4cbdf342124bad7fc8ce35a35.jpg

But the contact just responded:

20220331_140739.thumb.jpg.49f1d7805d8cf7e4815e42595a64eb14.jpg

So it's the 2 day antigen test as I'm no longer up to date. 

I finished a live chat with Princess yesterday to determine if my kids (under age 12) were considered fully vaccinated or up to date.  They are following the CDC definition of up to date, which specifically states that "getting a second booster does is not necessary to be considered up to date at this time".  

Here is the website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html?s_cid=11747:cdc up to date vaccine:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY22

image.png.3e8d9426b9d51a2a09169aac04df08e6.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Signed up today to get our second boosters tomorrow at CVS. Did it online. Have your Medicare or Insurance card(s) ready as they ask for that info during the signup process. We both go in at 1:00 PM tomorrow. We are in Northern California (Butte County).

What did you say to when they asked if you were over 50 and Immunocompromised? Should I lie?

I think I'm just going to reschedule the free antigen test for 2 days before boarding 

Edited by Ombud

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

What did you say to when they asked if you were over 50 and Immunocompromised? Should I lie?

I think I'm just going to reschedule the free antigen test for 2 days before boarding 

They had multiple choices online and I chose the last one. It was obviously the one I should choose. No lying involved. This is what I chose:

image.png.715c6480f6956f3277cc6687e03b9e0d.png

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

No. I had 2 shots. J&J shot = fully vaxed. Moderna booster = up to date for last cruise. I was confused by this:

20220331_141231.thumb.jpg.10ccb6c4cbdf342124bad7fc8ce35a35.jpg

But the contact just responded:

20220331_140739.thumb.jpg.49f1d7805d8cf7e4815e42595a64eb14.jpg

So it's the 2 day antigen test as I'm no longer up to date. 

I don’t read it the same way you do.  You are up to date with one booster.  You are being told that you are not yet “eligible” for a second one therefore your two shots and one booster is enough.  If you were eligible you wouldn’t be needing to jump through hoops to get the shot.  See the CDC blurb posted in post #520.  Relax!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

I don’t read it the same way you do.  You are up to date with one booster.  You are being told that you are not yet “eligible” for a second one therefore your two shots and one booster is enough.  If you were eligible you wouldn’t be needing to jump through hoops to get the shot.  See the CDC blurb posted in post #520.  Relax!

Thanks. Tests are hard to come by so I just want an option of 3 different days from 3 different sites.