Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

18 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thanks @wendellman@Thrak& @hubble but the only reason I want another shot is to get the antigen test 3 days before the cruise. Asking Princess if I can do the antigen on day 2 or 3 before cruise.

Are you thinking that not having the new booster would disqualify you from 3 day antigen window? If so I would be certain that Princess would not enforce this until the new booster is clarified. 

I have it calendared to schedule the antigen test 2 days ahead. But grocery shopping at Safeway today & will ask why I can't get on the schedule. I need it anyway for the Philharmonic May 13th. They checked my  vax & DL to make sure I was up to date last weekend (conductor's choice)

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I have it calendared to schedule the antigen test 2 days ahead. But grocery shopping at Safeway today & will ask why I can't get on the schedule. I need it anyway for the Philharmonic May 13th. They checked my  vax & DL to make sure I was up to date last weekend (conductor's choice)

Got one ✔ 

• Like 1

It seems like most of these posts are by Americans who are preparing for cruises in the Caribbean.  We will be cruising in the Mediterranean at the end of May but only after spending 6 days in Switzerland.  Obviously getting any testing done stateside is impossible to meet Princess' time requirements.  Does anyone know what the policy will be for European cruises and what ways are there to meet those requirements for people like us who will not be flying directly to the cruise port?

For those going to or through Canada (East Coast / Pacific Coast / Alaska) it is now:

PCR 3 days pre-cruise

Antigen 1 day pre-cruise

This is Canada's requirement not Princess' 

Princess has posted their requirements on the website. It's test day before or (maybe) at pier: 

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/eu-cruises/

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Does anyone know what the policy will be for European cruises and what ways are there to meet those requirements for people like us who will not be flying directly to the cruise port?

You could use the BinaxNOW proctored test kits. You will need an Internet connection and a device with a camera. A laptop or tablet would be better than a phone.

The 2 pack is located HERE

The 3 pack is located HERE

Some people have reported a problem with a test kit so, for the two of us, we would probably buy the 3 pack in case one was funky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rjp50 said:

It seems like most of these posts are by Americans who are preparing for cruises in the Caribbean.  We will be cruising in the Mediterranean at the end of May but only after spending 6 days in Switzerland.  Obviously getting any testing done stateside is impossible to meet Princess' time requirements.  Does anyone know what the policy will be for European cruises and what ways are there to meet those requirements for people like us who will not be flying directly to the cruise port?

We are also traveling to Europe for a cruise at the end of May from Rome. I saw that Holland America "may" require a test if you are fully vaccinated. It would be great to hear Princess do the same. I think they are doing a wait and see before making any decisions. The Mediterranean cruises begin soon so I will be following their comments. We will be getting our 2nd booster prior to the trip.

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

You could use the BinaxNOW proctored test kits. You will need an Internet connection and a device with a camera. A laptop or tablet would be better than a phone.

Some people have reported a problem with a test kit so, for the two of us, we would probably buy the 3 pack in case one was funky.

I saw quite a few on the shelf at Walgreen's last week. That was encouraging. We have Kindles but not a "tablet" and of course our IPhones.

41 minutes ago, nini said:

I saw quite a few on the shelf at Walgreen's last week. That was encouraging. We have Kindles but not a "tablet" and of course our IPhones.

I can't imagine a Kindle working for a proctored test. You need Internet connectivity and a camera and also need to be able to hear the person giving you directions.

The tests at Walgreens are probably not the proctored tests. There are BinaxNOW tests that are for home use but aren't proctored online and aren't acceptable for travel. The ones that look like this won't work for travel:

image.png.45a44d8feb45d74b08d373013be452f3.png

THIS is the one that works for travel. Note the directions to not open it until directed to do so.

image.png.66c599d87e66cd29b8d728220e6e1a01.png

Edited by Thrak
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

These (BinaxNOW Antigen tests) worked well for us in February going to the Caribbean... I would suggest a small tripod and a phone holder to help wrangle the phone while talking to the agent.  You have to load an APP on the phone, and talk to them with video twice, once when swabbing initially, and later reading the test.  Also suggest watching the youtube videos on how to do this to set your expectations about what will happen, and to build confidence in the process.  Don't open the package until asked by the agent... they want to watch you break the seal.

Ours didn't look exactly like Thrack's picture... but it did say "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO" on the box.  It had us load an app called NAVICA. 

At least in February, two days ahead meant ... anytime two days ahead was acceptable, and in our case, we did our tests at 12:01 - just after midnight Pacific Time... so that we could avoid flying to FL if we had a positive test - rather than having to fly there, get tested, get quarantined, no cruise, and then fly back, potentially saving a lot of hassle - and also not exposing people enroute.    (Actually I noticed that the test results given were in GMT, so we probably could have done the tests 8 hours earlier than that, since we were on Pacific Time).  You get an indication in the app that shows your test result that you can show to an agent at embarcation.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

I can't imagine a Kindle working for a proctored test. You need Internet connectivity and a camera and also need to be able to hear the person giving you directions.

The tests at Walgreens are probably not the proctored tests. There are BinaxNOW tests that are for home use but aren't proctored online and aren't acceptable for travel. The ones that look like this won't work for travel:

image.png.45a44d8feb45d74b08d373013be452f3.png

THIS is the one that works for travel. Note the directions to not open it until directed to do so.

image.png.66c599d87e66cd29b8d728220e6e1a01.png

Thanks, Thrak. I see the difference of the two boxes.

AND, our Kindles Do have a camera and DO go online (which is how we download our books, and of course check out Cruise Critic  😁

8 hours ago, Digisailor said:

These (BinaxNOW Antigen tests) worked well for us in February going to the Caribbean... I would suggest a small tripod and a phone holder to help wrangle the phone while talking to the agent.  You have to load an APP on the phone, and talk to them with video twice, once when swabbing initially, and later reading the test.  Also suggest watching the youtube videos on how to do this to set your expectations about what will happen, and to build confidence in the process.  Don't open the package until asked by the agent... they want to watch you break the seal.

Ours didn't look exactly like Thrack's picture... but it did say "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO" on the box.  It had us load an app called NAVICA. 

That raises an interesting questions about where to pack the test.  If you put it in carry-on you run the risk of TSA demanding to see what is in the box, thus breaking the seal.  If you put it in checked luggage you run the risk of losing your luggage.

34 minutes ago, rjp50 said:

That raises an interesting questions about where to pack the test.  If you put it in carry-on you run the risk of TSA demanding to see what is in the box, thus breaking the seal.  If you put it in checked luggage you run the risk of losing your luggage.

I packed a test kit in our carry-on and nothing was mentioned about it at TSA.  We had to go through 2 airports for connection also.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Here is the link on the Princess website. This is for those departing from Europe. There is a separate one for sailings from the UK and sailings from USA.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/eu-cruises/

20 hours ago, rjp50 said:

I forgot to mention that we have a similar dilemma, as do many cruisers: we are unable to test before we leave home and are needing to find a testing place in a foreign country. It may help if you go to the forum for your country of departure and inquire where others will be having their testing done. If you will be in Rome, I have read that there are many testing sites in Rome.

12 hours ago, Digisailor said:

It had us load an app called NAVICA. 

Thanks for the info. Installing the app now. The more I can get done in advance the better. We've been to Canada a number of times and never had to deal with the ArriveCAN stuff in the past. It was so easy before. I doubt it will ever go back to the way it was. Once the government gets a process in place it seems to be pretty rare for them to drop that process later.

On 4/1/2022 at 1:38 PM, Ombud said:

For those going to or through Canada (East Coast / Pacific Coast / Alaska) it is now:

PCR 3 days pre-cruise

Antigen 1 day pre-cruise

This is Canada's requirement not Princess' 

Interestingly, the official Government of Canada website now (as of April 1) says 2 days pre-cruise for antigen tests:

Pre-Embarkation Testing Requirements for Passengers

To fulfill the above requirements, passengers requiring a pre-embarkation test will need to provide one of the following:

• Evidence of a negative COVID-19 molecular test (e.g. PCR test) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 72 hours prior to their initial boarding of the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a negative COVID-19 antigen test (e.g. RAT) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 2 days before initially boarding the cruise ship.

I'm not sure if or when Princess will update their guidance.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sandipalms said:

The test kit I received from Abbott BianaxNOW has 1 kit and says to download the NAVICA app.  Will this work?
Thanks, Sandipalms

If it is labeled "Do Not Open Until Instructed" or similar language it is the correct test. Be aware that some have gotten the single test and then found it was "dried up" and no good. I'm not saying that will happen to you but it is a possibility. That's why, if I get this sort of test, I will buy the 3 pack for the two of us.

Please forgive if somebody has asked a similar question.

But We are scheduled to do an Alaska Cruise on Discovery Princess, September 10-18,2022 out of Seattle.  We are arriving at Seattle on September 8, 2022.  

Where would it be advisable to get the necessary Covid testing.  According to Canadian regulations one must have a negative Antigen Test 24 hours before boarding?

6 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Please forgive if somebody has asked a similar question.

But We are scheduled to do an Alaska Cruise on Discovery Princess, September 10-18,2022 out of Seattle.  We are arriving at Seattle on September 8, 2022.  

Where would it be advisable to get the necessary Covid testing.  According to Canadian regulations one must have a negative Antigen Test 24 hours before boarding?

If the cruise originates in Seattle, any necessary Covid testing has nothing to do with Canada.

The Canadian regulations apply to anyone cruising either from a Canadian port or has a Canadian port on their itinerary. They have just changed the antigen testing requirement to within 2 days before boarding (instead of 1 day). This change is in the April 1st Canadian regulations. 

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

• Like 2