Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

No, read the above Princess example for two days, sailing on Sunday. Sunday to Saturday = 1 day, Saturday to Friday = 2 days. The important difference is saying 2 or 3 'Days' versus 48 or 72 hours.

If it was 48 hours, then a 4:00 Sunday sail would mean 4:00 or later Friday. With 2 Days you could test first thing Friday, effectively giving a longer window.

The Princess example of two days before, with a Sunday sailing you can get tested on Friday or Saturday. That's the way it worked with three of the four sailings we've taken since August. When they expanded it to three days for some tests, we took advantage of this for our sailing last month. We were sailing on Saturday, April 2 out of Port Everglades. That meant we could get tested three days before and that would be Wednesday. We tested on Wednesday (we qualified for an antigen or PCR test three days before) and did a PCR test just to make sure. However, we had a feeling the check-in people were going to screw up the new guidelines, so we did an antigen test on Thursday, two days before Saturday boarding. When we got to the port to check in, the rep asked for our vaccination cards and verified we were fully vaccinated and had a booster shot. We then handed her the PCR tests done on Wednesday. She said these aren't good because they had to be done three days or sooner. I said they were - today's Saturday and three days before was Wednesday. She checked with a supervisor who said you count the day of sailing, so three days is Thursday. I told them that's ridiculous, read your own website for the explanation of two days before. I told her we've sailed three times already and got test two days before (Thursday for a Saturday sailing) and didn't have a problem. Didn't matter - she said we had to get tested again by Princess because our test was too old. Rather than pursue higher up, we pulled out our antigen tests that were done on Thursday and they were fine. Unbelievable. One of the things that annoys me about Princess is they don't ever contact you about the survey responses you fill out after the cruise, especially if you document some problems. It's quite annoying to spend all the time completing the lengthy survey and not getting feedback from Princess. I documented the above on the survey and have not heard anything from them.

You're right about the 48 hours vs 2 days, with 2 days being the more liberal requirement. However, it's my belief they would go with 48 hours before you check-in and board, not when you sail. If that was the case, what would happen if the sailing was delayed? It's crazy to have two different measurements - two days or 72 hours.

Kevin

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kml246 said:

The Princess example of two days before, with a Sunday sailing you can get tested on Friday or Saturday. That's the way it worked with three of the four sailings we've taken since August. When they expanded it to three days for some tests, we took advantage of this for our sailing last month. We were sailing on Saturday, April 2 out of Port Everglades. That meant we could get tested three days before and that would be Wednesday. We tested on Wednesday (we qualified for an antigen or PCR test three days before) and did a PCR test just to make sure. However, we had a feeling the check-in people were going to screw up the new guidelines, so we did an antigen test on Thursday, two days before Saturday boarding. When we got to the port to check in, the rep asked for our vaccination cards and verified we were fully vaccinated and had a booster shot. We then handed her the PCR tests done on Wednesday. She said these aren't good because they had to be done three days or sooner. I said they were - today's Saturday and three days before was Wednesday. She checked with a supervisor who said you count the day of sailing, so three days is Thursday. I told them that's ridiculous, read your own website for the explanation of two days before. I told her we've sailed three times already and got test two days before (Thursday for a Saturday sailing) and didn't have a problem. Didn't matter - she said we had to get tested again by Princess because our test was too old. Rather than pursue higher up, we pulled out our antigen tests that were done on Thursday and they were fine. Unbelievable. One of the things that annoys me about Princess is they don't ever contact you about the survey responses you fill out after the cruise, especially if you document some problems. It's quite annoying to spend all the time completing the lengthy survey and not getting feedback from Princess. I documented the above on the survey and have not heard anything from them.

You're right about the 48 hours vs 2 days, with 2 days being the more liberal requirement. However, it's my belief they would go with 48 hours before you check-in and board, not when you sail. If that was the case, what would happen if the sailing was delayed? It's crazy to have two different measurements - two days or 72 hours.

Kevin

We sailed on Friday Apr 29 on Discovery from LA to Vancouver. We took our PCR tests on Tuesday. It was fine when we checked in. The agent looked at it, matched our names and checked the date.

3 hours ago, kml246 said:

We were sailing on Saturday, April 2 out of Port Everglades. That meant we could get tested three days before and that would be Wednesday.

Agree, they misinterpreted the rules - assuming 4:00 Sail, if it had been 72 hours that would be back to 4:00 Wednesday. 3 Days means back to any time Wednesday. Wow, now that I think about it, I guess you don't count Sail Day!

1 hour ago, highloyo said:

We sailed on Friday Apr 29 on Discovery from LA to Vancouver. We took our PCR tests on Tuesday. It was fine when we checked in. The agent looked at it, matched our names and checked the date.

That's the way it should be and the way the Princess website explains it. I just got Princess employees that didn't know their rules. 

51 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Agree, they misinterpreted the rules - assuming 4:00 Sail, if it had been 72 hours that would be back to 4:00 Wednesday. 3 Days means back to any time Wednesday. Wow, now that I think about it, I guess you don't count Sail Day!

Right - you don't count sail day. I just had this feeling they were going to have an issue with the three-day rule, so rather than stress, we had the second test ready to give them. 

We are sailing Seattle to Seattle with our only stop in Victoria.  The Princess Website says for fully vaccinated passengers (which includes a booster) it is three days before sailing, obtaining either an antigen or PCR. 

We will be flying out of Orlando on Friday, boarding on a Sunday, and intend to get the Antigen test through a local pharmacy on Thursday.  

Hope that they will let us on the ship!!!

4 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

We are sailing Seattle to Seattle with our only stop in Victoria.  The Princess Website says for fully vaccinated passengers (which includes a booster) it is three days before sailing, obtaining either an antigen or PCR. 

We will be flying out of Orlando on Friday, boarding on a Sunday, and intend to get the Antigen test through a local pharmacy on Thursday.  

Hope that they will let us on the ship!!!

I can see why a check in person might think Thursday is more than 3 days, and of course they are not Princess employees, so we don't know how much detailed training they or their supervisors have.

I would be prepared to point out to them that 72 hours takes you back to 4:00 Thursday and 3 Days is more lenient than that, as stated by Princess.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

But a Rapid NAAT test is neither an antigen test nor a PCR test. So is it 2 days or 72 hours before if you're using a Rapid NAAT test?

Both PCR and NAAT are Molecular tests - and the official Canadian rules use that terminology, so it's 100% a 72hr limit not a 2-day. The crux is that they detect viral RNA itself, rather than the antigens your body produces in response to the virus.

Technically all PCRs are actually NAAT - whether a rapid or regular version, the first step before the actual testing part is Amplification of the Nucleic Acid within the sample to make them detectable... and that's what the N A and A stand for, with the T being for 'test'. PCR for some reason seemed to stick in the cultural vocabulary best, indeed I find myself saying PCR as often as not when I mean Molecular v.s. Antigen - maybe it's the couple of syllables saved!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we did the proctored BINAXNOW tests in January, I noticed that the report I got via EMAIL (from EMED Labs) had the time of the test in UTC (GMT more-or-less).  So if you took a test at 10PM in the US on TUESDAY, the EMAILED report would have Wednesday's date on it.  The report came as an encoded PDF and I had to enter my full birthdate to decode and display the report. 

Oddly the result you see in the APP show the date and time in local time... including the timezone... but the one I got in email (which looks sort of official and has a signature on it) shows in UTC.   

We had waited up until after Midnight to do our tests to have the result a day later... but we still got tested before flying to be reasonably sure we were negative before flying... (Not wanting to expose anyone by accident). 

Thought this might help some folks dealing with these tests for the first time.  Strongly suggest watching a couple of youtubes on the mechanics of doing this.

Does anyone have information on obtaining a test in Quebec City that might be close to the cruise port? We will disembark Friday, August 5 in Quebec and will be flying back to US that day. Unless protocols change we know we must get a test within 24 hours of re-entry. Since the ship will arrive the day before we disembark we should have time to get tested then if we can locate a testing site.

Many thanks for all of the information. We know know we need a booster (check) and fill out the arrive Canada form. Got it. Y’all are a great help.

I'm anxious to see some reports about how disembarkation testing is handled for cruises ending in Southampton, especially for those of us with same day flights to the US. The Princess FAQ's for Southampton cruises says: "If a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of tests, provided guests can show proof that their flight arrangements are the same day as they disembark the ship. Guests will need to make their own test arrangements if onward travel is not the day they disembark."

That doesn't really explain the logistics of how it works. Do they conduct tests onboard for those with same day flights, or are we on our own and they'll reimburse?

7 hours ago, junglejane said:

I'm anxious to see some reports about how disembarkation testing is handled for cruises ending in Southampton, especially for those of us with same day flights to the US. The Princess FAQ's for Southampton cruises says: "If a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of tests, provided guests can show proof that their flight arrangements are the same day as they disembark the ship. Guests will need to make their own test arrangements if onward travel is not the day they disembark."

That doesn't really explain the logistics of how it works. Do they conduct tests onboard for those with same day flights, or are we on our own and they'll reimburse?

They conduct the tests onboard. I am on emerald princess now and we dock in Southampton tomorrow. They tested passengers this morning and some are still waiting for their e-mail results. We are staying in London for 6 nights so we are responsible for our own testing

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

Does anyone have information on obtaining a test in Quebec City that might be close to the cruise port? We will disembark Friday, August 5 in Quebec and will be flying back to US that day. Unless protocols change we know we must get a test within 24 hours of re-entry. Since the ship will arrive the day before we disembark we should have time to get tested then if we can locate a testing site.

Many thanks for all of the information. We know know we need a booster (check) and fill out the arrive Canada form. Got it. Y’all are a great help.

I had same question in a separate thread, no information.

15 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I had same question in a separate thread, no information.

Princess really suggests emed or other proctored test if you’re onboard and need to fly out.

Voyages ending in Canada: Guests are responsible to arrange their COVID-19 tests and pay directly to the testing facility. Please note, tests are not required for guests disembarking in Vancouver and returning to the US via motorcoach.*

We encourage guests to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites for the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides help administer the test and verify the results, usually within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered by email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to receive the test at home before going to the ship. Order your test kit online^.

Or, are you trying to find a back up if you’re staying in Quebec?

If you’re staying at a hotel, I would email them and ask for a close by testing site.

5 hours ago, lindatraveller said:

Does anyone know the cost for Covid testing in Athens to board Princess?

Princess is doing it at the dock for free. This is the only port in Europe where this is the case.

39 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Princess really suggests emed or other proctored test if you’re onboard and need to fly out.

Voyages ending in Canada: Guests are responsible to arrange their COVID-19 tests and pay directly to the testing facility. Please note, tests are not required for guests disembarking in Vancouver and returning to the US via motorcoach.*

We encourage guests to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites for the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides help administer the test and verify the results, usually within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered by email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to receive the test at home before going to the ship. Order your test kit online^.

Or, are you trying to find a back up if you’re staying in Quebec?

If you’re staying at a hotel, I would email them and ask for a close by testing site.

I wondered about Internet reliability and the proctoring process, wondered if there was a test site at the pier. We are overnight on the ship and would fly home after that. 

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

I wondered about Internet reliability and the proctoring process, wondered if there was a test site at the pier. We are overnight on the ship and would fly home after that. 

From letters that guests have received recently, it looks like you have to get your own test, either a proctored one, like emed or find a test site. 
Are you following a ship that ends in Canada?  That might help. Also many changes between now and August, I bet.

25 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

From letters that guests have received recently, it looks like you have to get your own test, either a proctored one, like emed or find a test site. 
Are you following a ship that ends in Canada?  That might help. Also many changes between now and August, I bet.

We are on Caribbean Princess, New York to Quebec sailing Sep 20, 2022. We will no doubt go Emed route but it would be nice if there was a site at the pier. Hoping things change by then.

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

We are on Caribbean Princess, New York to Quebec sailing Sep 20, 2022. We will no doubt go Emed route but it would be nice if there was a site at the pier. Hoping things change by then.

Here is the current testing information for Quebec.

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/testing-for-covid-19/get-covid-19-test

2 hours ago, Alanr204 said:

Princess is doing it at the dock for free. This is the only port in Europe where this is the case.

Because the Greek government demand that testing is done within 24 hours of the cruise departing, which obviously is problematic for thise flying in from the US,  Canada etc. 

3 hours ago, mrobinson said:

They conduct the tests onboard. I am on emerald princess now and we dock in Southampton tomorrow. They tested passengers this morning and some are still waiting for their e-mail results. We are staying in London for 6 nights so we are responsible for our own testing

Where will you get tested in London before returning to the States?  I will be in this situation in August and need all the advice I can get.

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Because the Greek government demand that testing is done within 24 hours of the cruise departing, which obviously is problematic for thise flying in from the US,  Canada etc. 

How do you arange this with Princess?