Cancelling Cruises ?

NHCRUISIN

NCL canceled the Pearl 2 days into an 11 day itinerary and canceled the current sailing of the Getaway before it sailed. They have also canceled the Jade (sailing in the Med) and delayed the restart of six other ships. RCCL canceled the next Symphony of the Seas sailing.

3 minutes ago, miaminative0853 said:

Interesting to know how much of this is COVID and how much is financial. Obviously the two factors are related but I could see cancelling a mega ship like Symphony for $$ reasons. Why fly an A380 when you only have enough pax for a A319?

My suspicion is that cancellations on currently sailing ships was necessity. They had too many crew quarantined to run the ship. The delay of restarts is probably a combination of factors.

Just now, JamieLogical said:

My suspicion is that cancellations on currently sailing ships was necessity. They had too many crew quarantined to run the ship. The delay of restarts is probably a combination of factors.

I agree on current sailings but I'm guessing at least Norw. is reading the tea leaves on bookings for the next month or so and is cutting its losses. Interesting to know how crew contracts are structured. 

4 minutes ago, miaminative0853 said:

I agree on current sailings but I'm guessing at least Norw. is reading the tea leaves on bookings for the next month or so and is cutting its losses. Interesting to know how crew contracts are structured. 

Well, the Star at least was supposed to be sailing South America/Antarctica and Brazil has closed their ports. The Pride of America was supposed to resume Hawaii sailings, but as I understand it, travel to Hawaii is still heavily restricted.

This just posted over on the RCI board.

I just got an email from our TA saying our Serenade sailing for tomorrow (Jan8) has been cancelled. Haven't gotten official notification yet, but I was unable to do the health questionnaire this morning. Super bummer 😭

As a result of the ongoing COVID-related circumstances around the world, and in abundance of caution, we have made the tough decision to pause operations on the following ships:

• Jewel of the Seas sailings from Jan. 9 – Feb. 12, returning on Feb. 20, 2022
  • Serenade of the Seas sailings from Jan. 8 – March 5, resuming service after her dry dock on April 26, 2022
  • Symphony of the Seas sailings from Jan. 8 – Jan. 22, returning on Jan. 29, 2022
  • Vision of the Seas’ return to cruising is postponed until March 7, 2022
  •  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

• Thanks 2