Cruising on Norwegian Bliss and Testing Positive-- One Family's Experience

szpal

1 hour ago, Wendy&Grumpy said:

I'm thinking this won't be a story for the press because much of the issues were created by the guests going to the wrong vans, rather than waiting for the staff member with further instruction as they were directed to. (Not that I would not have done the same - just that everything else after that choice was a result of that choice.) 

They should never have been without a staff member.  Thats on NCL along with the rest of it as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, OceanPatter said:

Szpal/OP—you are probably one of the most civil, balanced and well-organized posters on all of cruisecritic. Can’t thank you enough for so calmly and openly sharing your ordeal, and responding to people’s queries.

Would love to sail with you one day. Until then, safe travels.

@OceanPatterthank you for your kind words! We are finally home, all are 100% healthy, and I'm  feeling very grateful for everything...
There are many worse problems in the world and guaranteed we will be cruising again.  I'd love to meet you there!

3 hours ago, Wendy&Grumpy said:

I'm thinking this won't be a story for the press because much of the issues were created by the guests going to the wrong vans, rather than waiting for the staff member with further instruction as they were directed to. (Not that I would not have done the same - just that everything else after that choice was a result of that choice.) 

Don't disagree with you! Live and learn. "THANK YOU SIR, WE HAVE OUR OWN TRANSPORT." 😁

• Like 5

17 hours ago, szpal said:

Metuken, do you have children? 😁
If a family member of any age (let's say you're traveling with your mom, for instance) was sick and quarantined to their cabin, might you go to Guest Services to try and obtain information for them?
The attitude from Guest Services had nothing to do with privacy concerns. But thanks for your thoughts.

Mom can call the cabin they are in.  The ill passenger can also phone you from their cabin.   NCL handled the non passing of information correctly.  It was not prison by any means.  Upset mom for sure.  I find this over ripe and over exposed.  Sorry mom.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, metuken said:

I find this over ripe and over exposed.  Sorry mom.

And I find this topic getting much needed sunshine. Agree to disagree. Cruise on...

17 minutes ago, kcotto said:

@kcottoI'm so sorry for your experience. Nightmare! I hope people don't miss the fact that you were fully quarantined and DIDN'T HAVE COVID.  😥 
Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 7:21 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

...I guess it's better "not to do the right thing"....and keep a low profile so you can self-disembark...

If I was ever in this position with one day left on the cruise, I think I would just hole up in my room and order room service.  Then maskup on the way off the boat when it docks

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, geegee1 said:

If I was ever in this position with one day left on the cruise, I think I would just hole up in my room and order room service.  Then maskup on the way off the boat when it docks

I think I'd do the same as it seems there is no consistency and once off the ship you are on your own and the employees are not very helpful at all. They need to get the act together, have one fleet wide policy clear and concise and follow it, as I see many cancellations as people read the numerous reviews from passengers this has happened to

14 hours ago, metuken said:

Mom can call the cabin they are in.  The ill passenger can also phone you from their cabin.   NCL handled the non passing of information correctly.  It was not prison by any means.  Upset mom for sure.  I find this over ripe and over exposed.  Sorry mom.

I don't understand why you keep harping on this? I'm 38, married and often travel as a group, my mother included. You better believe that my mom would be trying to help anyway she can. If you're quarantined and NCL isn't relaying any information then what did you expect the 21 year old to do?

OP-I'll just add on to most everyone else's replies to thank you for posting what happened. We will be flying to LA for our Bliss cruise in March (hoping things calm down a bit by then) and I'm very happy to have this info to be better prepared. Unfortunately, my mom will not be with me to help lol, but my travel agent will be part of our group so I have no doubt that he will jump in if needed like your TA did.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Wow! Shouldn't you warn your room steward? Could he be infected, and start a mass outbreak among the crew??? 😲

All my interactions with him I would be masked and he would be.  So don't see the problem

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Scientists say that omicron is very infectious, primarily through airborne infection. Quite likely that your room would be saturated with your germs each morning. 

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/omicron-variant-appeared-spread-between-161210783.html

BTW, would you disembark with the other pax; some have immuno-compromised conditions?

If everyone is wearing a mask, then everyone should be fine.  If you're immuno-compromised you should definitely be wearing a mask.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, geegee1 said:

All my interactions with him I would be masked and he would be.  So don't see the problem

Exactly or you could request no cabin service and room service leave tray outside the door and just knock

• Like 2

Thank you for letting us know.

I guess it's better "not to do the right thing"....and keep a low profile so you can self-disembark.

It's Omicron....not leprosy.  The hazmat suits are overkill.

Overkill? Have you not seen World War Z, Dawn Of The Dead or Zombie Land?  🤣

26 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

What about the new pax who occupy the room, a few hours after geegee leaves?

The room has not been decontaminated. Will the new pax wear a mask in the room?

I would prefer to do the right thing, because I'm not morally ambiguous!

How do you know what the Stewards are doing to disinfect the rooms?  I have seen many using a fogger.  No idea if that actually kills anything.

Tom

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

What about the new pax who occupy the room, a few hours after geegee leaves?

The room has not been decontaminated. Will the new pax wear a mask in the room?

I would prefer to do the right thing, because I'm not morally ambiguous!

So what you're saying is that you don't trust that they throughly clean the rooms between cruises?  If that's the case then that's a whole new can of worms

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 2:52 PM, geegee1 said:

So what you're saying is that you don't trust that they throughly clean the rooms between cruises?  If that's the case then that's a whole new can of worms

Exactly! I can only imagine the number of positive people unaware they are positive  that travel through an airport.There is being safe and then there is overkill. If NCL"s so called procedure went off without a hitch it would be one thing, but read too many accounts of where it did not.

On 1/6/2022 at 7:01 PM, flying fingers said:

I figure the is no such thing as quarantine police. My pre cruise hotel is a block from the pier and has a car rental company on site. I will walk myself out and call to arrange rental car pickup. Anyone tries to stop me I will contact law enforcement myself and let them know I'm being held against my will. I'm sorry this happened to your family but makes me more determined to not let cruise line dictate my quarantine process. I can easily drive home with stops for drive thru food wearing my N95 mask. 

exactly, I am with you.  if I am on my last full day of the cruise and start feeling sick, I am just going to my room and isolating.  I am currently booked to fly home from my cruise, but I will find a rental car and drive the 8-10 hours home instead.

2 hours ago, bstel said:

exactly, I am with you.  if I am on my last full day of the cruise and start feeling sick, I am just going to my room and isolating.  I am currently booked to fly home from my cruise, but I will find a rental car and drive the 8-10 hours home instead.

I like your thinking but trying to find a one-way car rental during a rental car shortage (this also happened to be a holiday week)....would be difficult if not impossible.
Also, the trip insurance doesn't kick in until a positive Covid diagnosis comes through. So if your travel plans change and you need the expense covered, don't forget to make a quick stop by Uber or that rental car for a Covid test. On the weekend, no less. 

Edited by szpal

On 1/6/2022 at 7:03 PM, LadyLion_AP said:

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry this was such a debacle!  My family cruised with Princess over the holiday and a few of us got sick a day or so after disembarking.  I'm so happy no one got sick while onboard! I can only imagine!

You got sick with COVID a day after disembarking? Like, you know for sure it was COVID because you got tested? Or it was just flu or cold-like symptoms and you're not sure whether or not it was COVID-19? I am asking because I am booked on Princess for a March cruise and now I'm kinda scared to go; thinking of cancelling.  Trying to ascertain the risk. I am fully vaccinated and boosted but still thinking I'm not willing to take even  the smallest risk of getting sick AND possibly being quarantined.

3 hours ago, szpal said:

I like your thinking but trying to find a one-way car rental during a rental car shortage (this also happened to be a holiday week)....would be difficult if not impossible.
Also, the trip insurance doesn't kick in until a positive Covid diagnosis comes through. So if your travel plans change and you need the expense covered, don't forget to make a quick stop by Uber or that rental car for a Covid test. On the weekend, no less. 

based on your post, I have went ahead and rented a car for the day we disembark just to be on the safeside.  I was already planning on bringing my BinaxNow proctored Covid tests through Emed.  so hopefully that should cover me.  Kind of sad you have to think of all this, just in case...

• Like 3