I am confused about cancellation

ablodget2

On January 3, 2022, I canceled the Breakaway cruise scheduled for January 23, 2022, due to concerns my husband and I had regarding the virus.  We were issued full FCC under the Peace of Mind policy.  Under the "refund and cancellation policy for Covid-19" found on the NCL website I found this:  

• If your cruise is cancelled by Norwegian or boarding is delayed by twenty-four (24) hours or more due to government order or declaration of Public Health Emergency, you are entitled to a refund of the amount paid to Norwegian within 180 days, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”). This policy also applies if you already cancelled the same cruise within 60 days prior to the scheduled sailing date.

Doesn't the last line appear to allow me to get a refund rather than FCC?  Isn't it my choice?

23 minutes ago, ablodget2 said:

On January 3, 2022, I canceled the Breakaway cruise scheduled for January 23, 2022, due to concerns my husband and I had regarding the virus.  We were issued full FCC under the Peace of Mind policy.  Under the "refund and cancellation policy for Covid-19" found on the NCL website I found this:  

• If your cruise is cancelled by Norwegian or boarding is delayed by twenty-four (24) hours or more due to government order or declaration of Public Health Emergency, you are entitled to a refund of the amount paid to Norwegian within 180 days, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”). This policy also applies if you already cancelled the same cruise within 60 days prior to the scheduled sailing date.

Doesn't the last line appear to allow me to get a refund rather than FCC?  Isn't it my choice?

I wish I could help more.  I tend to agree with you re it: seems you should get a refund, but I believe mult-billion dollar companies pay lawyers multi-million dollar fees to carefully draft written documents/contracts, so I don't trust them until I talk to someone...

As I understand the wording, if you cancel after final payment, you get FCC.  Unless that cruise is afterwards cancelled by NCL, in which case you can get a refund, despite the fact that you had earlier cancelled.  Anyone else read it like that?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, ablodget2 said:

It's like a scavenger hunt trying to find all the pieces of information to get an answer.  

You and Gopher are both correct.

"Straightforward" and "User Friendly" are not descriptive of NCL's protocol for converting FCC to cash.

Because THEY DON'T WANT TO GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milaandra said:

As I understand the wording, if you cancel after final payment, you get FCC.  Unless that cruise is afterwards cancelled by NCL, in which case you can get a refund, despite the fact that you had earlier cancelled.  Anyone else read it like that?

That's how I read it as well.  The link to the page for anyone who wants to see the page at Norwegian is https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

21 minutes ago, ablodget2 said:

Thank you, Cruise Gopher.  It's like a scavenger hunt trying to find all the pieces of information to get an answer.  Your info is very helpful.  I am going to submit the form and see what happens.

It is, Norwegian's web page design is horrendous - even worse than my firm's, and I didn't think that was possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milaandra said:

That’s the way I read it as well. 

51 minutes ago, BarnCat1 said:

What if you already applied the FCC to a new cruise, but really would rather have the money back, if the cruise you were originally supposed to take got cancelled.  Would you be out of luck to get the cash back?

Not sure, but in theory maybe you could cancel the new cruise and the FCC would go back in your account and then you could request the conversion of the FCC to refund. 

• Like 1

I know of 4 different people that were all going to cruise on the Breakaway today and earlier this week canceled with Peace of Mind. On Thursday when the Breakaway canceled their Travel Agent received notification they will all be receiving Cash Refund(credit back to credit card used) unless they had paid with FCC, the FCC would return to their Latitude number and everything else will be credited back to the credit card used.

• Like 1

The last line is odd, so I understand your point.

The way it's worded is if you cancel: FCC; if they cancel: Refund. 

Once you cancel, anything they do after the fact has no affect on you. That's why there's a lot of people "playing the waiting game" to see if NCL cancels before they have to. aka Cruise Fare Chicken lol

Edited by bortman23
  • Haha 1

I think you canceled before they canceled so you have to live with the decision that you made to cancel early.  So if you want to  get a cash refund because they eventually canceled the cruise do you also think you deserve the 20% discount to a future cruise also?   

15 hours ago, bortman23 said:

The last line is odd, so I understand your point.

The way it's worded is if you cancel: FCC; if they cancel: Refund. 

Once you cancel, anything they do after the fact has no affect on you. That's why there's a lot of people "playing the waiting game" to see if NCL cancels before they have to. aka Cruise Fare Chicken lol

No, that isn't the way its worded.  The way it's actually worded is that if you cancel the cruise within the 60 days prior to the cruise, and then they cancel the cruise, you get the refund.

8 hours ago, jetact said:

I think you canceled before they canceled so you have to live with the decision that you made to cancel early.  So if you want to  get a cash refund because they eventually canceled the cruise do you also think you deserve the 20% discount to a future cruise also?   

It's not a question of "deserve."  It's a question of what the policy says.  Where does the policy say anything about a 20% future discount?  

• Like 4

Either:  You haven't read the posts on this thread and/or the printed policy

or

You disagree with the posts on this thread and/or interpret the policy differently than many of us.

20 hours ago, bortman23 said:

The way it's worded is if you cancel: (but the ship sails =>) FCC ; if they cancel (FCC or) Refund (including a cancellation you made preceding theirs, within 60 days > FCC may be converted to original method of payment)

Once you cancel, anything they do after the fact has no affect on you (This in incorrect)

I will not repost links already cited upthread which refute your misinformation.

• Like 1

I have one minor quibble with

4 hours ago, jlseymour3 said:

The way it's actually worded is that if you cancel the cruise within the 60 days prior to the cruise, and then they cancel the cruise, you get the refund.

I would change to "you're ELIGIBLE for the refund"

It takes some digging and perseverance to change FCC to cash/original form of payment.  They will NOT automatically issue a $$ refund to pax who have cancelled prior to NCL canceling-- there are action steps for the pax which NCL does its best to bury.  Many non-CC Members who are less informed will not be aware of their options & required steps.  Even some CC members, as evidenced in this thread, misunderstand the protocol.

My speculation is that is the way NCL wants it; fewer cash refunds = better for them.

Edited by leithbones
clarification
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, leithbones said:

Either:  You haven't read the posts on this thread and/or the printed policy

or

You disagree with the posts on this thread and/or interpret the policy differently than many of us.

I will not repost links already cited upthread which refute your misinformation.

I've read everything, so thanks for the rude reply

Edited by bortman23