Eurodam 1/16-26 Almost Live Thread.

ksmaxey

Kevin,

Thank you for your posts.  They really are very enjoyable.  We are taking the 11-day Panama Canal cruise on the Eurodam next month.  I knew that cruising would be different, but you have given me insights as to the things to expect.  I hope that the rest of your cruise is as relaxing as the start seems to have been.  I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks again for all your insights - hope the rest of your cruise continues to be uneventful! We're taking your place on the Eurodam on Wednesday (just got our negative test results!) and were wondering if you had any special tips for sailing in these crazy Covid times. Any suggestions for trying to avoid crowds or Covid? 🙂 (Although I'm hoping the passenger count will be low enough to help with the crowds, at least!)

Any idea how many positive cases you're dealing with on board?

Thanks!!

On 1/22/2022 at 11:51 AM, LKBlum said:

Kevin,

Thank you for your posts.  They really are very enjoyable.  We are taking the 11-day Panama Canal cruise on the Eurodam next month.  I knew that cruising would be different, but you have given me insights as to the things to expect.  I hope that the rest of your cruise is as relaxing as the start seems to have been.  I look forward to reading more of your posts.

We are too. Actually doing BOTH Eurodams to Panama back-to-back (6th - 27th); IF the Covid-Gods cooperate of course. Quite revealing the Euro is currently at only 25% capacity.  QUESTION: Do you have your Monitored TestKit in hand yet? Mine is somewhere between the shipper and my Mailbox.

8 hours ago, br111 said:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks again for all your insights - hope the rest of your cruise continues to be uneventful! We're taking your place on the Eurodam on Wednesday (just got our negative test results!) and were wondering if you had any special tips for sailing in these crazy Covid times. Any suggestions for trying to avoid crowds or Covid? 🙂 (Although I'm hoping the passenger count will be low enough to help with the crowds, at least!)

Any idea how many positive cases you're dealing with on board?

Thanks!!

HAL is doing a great job with requiring masks and keeping things safe.  I have only had a couple of small complaints.  1 is that unless you ask, they will tend to seat you very close to others in the MDR.  (those tables along the windows on the side where there is less than 3 feet from you and other passengers)  2 - We went to a wine tasting and they put everyone together around large tables.  I addressed this with a sommelier and explained we wouldn't do any more tastings and he thanked me and said we would talk to the cellar master.

We have seen the quarantine/isolation section.  They aren't revealing any numbers.  
Some indications that some crew might be getting it:  There are 2 comedians on board and one was to headline the main stage several nights ago and that changed about 4 hours before the show to the other comedian.  The first comedian hasn't been seen or done a show since.
The day before the Panama canal the cruise director did a great history.  We have not heard or seen her since that day, Friday.  An entertainment lead has been doing all the announcements and leading things.
Last night one of the dancers was missing.

My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and she has said repeatedly that she feels safer here than the grocery store at home.  

20220120_192937112_iOS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

The day began early at 5 AM as we had been assigned at 7 AM time slot to begin our journey into the Panama Canal.  When we got up we were struck by the number of ships at anchor.  It turns out it is 35K for a reservation for the canal so most cargo ships show up and wait for a time to go through.

Here we are transiting under the bridge headed to the canal

We grabbed coffee and a quick breakfast sandwich before heading with friends to the 7 floor outside deck.  Both the bow on 5 and the balcony on 7 were open.  7 definitely provided better views and was less crowded. 

After passing through the canal we turned in Gatun lake and anchored so that those with excursions could be tendered ashore.  During this time we “swam across the Panama canal and got some exercise.  We had lunch (Singapore for Kevin and Dive in for Janice).  We then began the transit back through the canal.  We learned the views coming down are much better when made us glad we chose to remain on the ship and not participate in an excursion.  From this vantage point you can see how short the locks really are. 

While awaiting transit we saw a croc swimming in the lake

We grabbed dinner in the Lido.  (something we don’t tend to do)  They were having a special seafood buffet including ceviche, suckling pig and other local specialties.

After dinner Janice and friends headed ashore in search of shopping and internet.  They returned soon having found nothing to buy and no free internet.

It was an early night as we knew we would be up early for our private tour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There are great pictures on the Blog that are too hard to include here
Sunday - Costa rica

The day began early after gaining an hour overnight to reflect the time in Costa Rica.  The last time Janice and I were in Costa Rica was on a Sunday – Easter Sunday while on Sabbatical, on an MSC cruise with Tom & Rachel.  Our Agenda for the day was amazing similar and the what we did reflected that great experience.

We set our alarms for 5 AM as we were to be docked at 6:30 and were to meet our private tour guide Jorge 30 minutes after the ship was cleared.  We ordered room service for 5:45 which is 15 minutes before breakfast room service was to be available, but as before, it was delivered promptly at the requested time.  This time wisely requested to pots of coffee rather than 1.

We were finally cleared at 7:15 after officials were in place to confirm our vaccination status and have our cards photographed.  We walked off in “liquid sunshine” as they call it in Alaska.  It would be the only showers we would encounter the entire day.  We walked through the gauntlet of tour operators,out the port gate, where we found Jorge.  The four of us had a private bus that held 15 with a driver and our guide Jorge.  We made our way to the rainforest and started the day zip lining through the forest.  Two brothers who are sons of the owners were our guides and safety personnel.  We ziplined the same place last time we were here.

There were 11 towers with 9 lines down the rainforest.  It was spectacular.  After we were served complimentary fresh local fruit which was amazing.

Jorge then took us to a private canal tour to view wildlife.  On the way we saw howler monkeys.  Once on the canal we met a local crab fisherman who showed us his catch.  The people are quite friendly.  We then saw iguanas, 2 toed sloths, 3 toed sloths and plenty of birds.

After our tour we headed to Bonita beach for lunch.  This ironically was the same beach we had lunch at before.  The meal was a feast we couldn’t come close to consuming so we sent it home with our guide and driver.

After we returned for some shopping with local artisans before returning to the ship.  We swam before dinner in the Tamarind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The day began with a lazy and late start.  Part of the reason we love sea days.  To be honest, today will be slightly boring with little to report and that is fine in terms of R&R before the end of vacation.

We enjoyed some coffee before walking around the Promenade deck before getting ready and heading to breakfast.  In the MDR we again asked to be seated a little bit away from other passengers.  (Reminder we are only 25% of capacity).  It seems wise to not sit in close proximity with others with none wearing masks when not necessary. 

Eggs and corned beef hash

After breakfast we met friends up around the Lido pool and had a lazy morning reading and enjoying the breeze and the views.

Lunch was a salad for each of us.  (For those who have not cruised, HAL has a great salad bar that is crew made where you direct what you want.  There isn’t a restaurant on land that can compete with quality and options.)  We split a small pizza as well.

The afternoon included more reading and relaxing.  Janice went for swim, but Kevin decided the pool had cooled off a little much for comfort.

It would be our last Gala night for dinner, so we dressed up a little bit more.  We met friends and were again seated in our favorite waiter’s section with some distance from others.  I would share pictures, but my camera died and it is hard to get pictures off the iphone with poor internet. 

First course was baked brie for 3 and a seafood cioppino for Kevin.  1 of us had udon noodles for main, 2 had Sumac chicken and kevin had “surf and turf” – tenderloin served with 2 huge shrimp.

For dessert we ordered all three and shared them tasting each.

After dinner Kevin returned the cabin while the rest went to see the main show including the dancers and singers before watching the first set of the BB Kings All Star band.

The ocean is like glass and is so blue.

For those into cruising that are following:

While the ship doesn’t share information about who is contracting Covid we believe that the Cruise Director, a comedian, and one of the dancers may well have contracted it as they have suddenly disappeared.  Covid protocols remain fantastic and we feel very safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, ksmaxey said:

HAL is doing a great job with requiring masks and keeping things safe.  I have only had a couple of small complaints.  1 is that unless you ask, they will tend to seat you very close to others in the MDR.  (those tables along the windows on the side where there is less than 3 feet from you and other passengers)  2 - We went to a wine tasting and they put everyone together around large tables.  I addressed this with a sommelier and explained we wouldn't do any more tastings and he thanked me and said we would talk to the cellar master.

We have seen the quarantine/isolation section.  They aren't revealing any numbers.  
Some indications that some crew might be getting it:  There are 2 comedians on board and one was to headline the main stage several nights ago and that changed about 4 hours before the show to the other comedian.  The first comedian hasn't been seen or done a show since.
The day before the Panama canal the cruise director did a great history.  We have not heard or seen her since that day, Friday.  An entertainment lead has been doing all the announcements and leading things.
Last night one of the dancers was missing.

My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and she has said repeatedly that she feels safer here than the grocery store at home.  

20220120_192937112_iOS.jpg

Hi,

We are to go at the end of March. I hope Omnicron gets the boot! Nervous to read your impressions. I’m baffled if everyone is honest in supplying proof of vaccines. Or if crew and entertainers aren’t.

Have a terrific voyage!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RealtorladyWI said:

Hi,

We are to go at the end of March. I hope Omnicron gets the boot! Nervous to read your impressions. I’m baffled if everyone is honest in supplying proof of vaccines. Or if crew and entertainers aren’t.

Have a terrific voyage!

I am completely convinced that everyone is 100% vaccinated.  Omicron is so highly contagious.  My wife works in healthcare and leads a team of Doctors, Nurse Practitioners, and others and they are 100% vaccinated.   Omicron has been moving through the staff.  Thankfully the symptoms are mild are short but very real.

I am a pastor with a 100% vaccinated staff and 2 tested positive while I was on vacation and 2 others are testing today.  

Vaccinations won't guarantee you won't get Covid but they most certainly guarantee a less severe or dangerous outcome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Today we will disembark in Port Everglades.  I will have more to report on yesterday and today later.

One new thing is that we went to place an order for room service to be told that on the disembarkation only suite guests can order room service.  We were in a Veranda in July and had not problem with this so it is a new policy.  Another sad loss and change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@ksmaxeyI enjoyed reading about your cruise.  I certainly hope the elimination of debarkation day breakfast room service is just temporary due to short staffing or low guest count.  It is one of the features that sets HAL apart from some of the other mainstream lines and something I do appreciate on the last morning!  

~Nancy

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

@ksmaxeyI enjoyed reading about your cruise.  I certainly hope the elimination of debarkation day breakfast room service is just temporary due to short staffing or low guest count.  It is one of the features that sets HAL apart from some of the other mainstream lines and something I do appreciate on the last morning!  

~Nancy

I know that this has been reported on other ships as well.  I think HAL is taking advantage of the opportunity to drop this.

Our ship was 25% occupancy with nearly 1.5 crew to every passenger.  Dropping room service on the last day had nothing to do with not enough crew.

Edited by ksmaxey
  • Thanks 1

Thank-you!! Fun to read. Upon reflection: Was ‘The Vibe’ aboard ship sedate to the point of being dead silent? We are sailing next week to Panama (Eurodam), primarily to get a tan poolside while reading a raft of books. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ksmaxey said:

I know that this has been reported on other ships as well.  I think HAL is taking advantage of the opportunity to drop this.

Our ship was 25% occupancy with nearly 1.5 crew to every passenger.  Dropping room service on the last day had nothing to do with not enough crew.

Perhaps it's because they have to give room service breakfast to all the passengers in isolation. Those people don't have any other options.

And of course, no way of knowing how many that will be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Thank-you!! Fun to read. Upon reflection: Was ‘The Vibe’ aboard ship sedate to the point of being dead silent? We are sailing next week to Panama (Eurodam), primarily to get a tan poolside while reading a raft of books. 

There was good energy particularly at BB Kings.  The closed the 2nd floor of dining and had crew all focused on passengers.  I would jump to do it again. 

I will say that in our case we believe the Cruise Director, 1 comedian, 1 dancer and the steel drum band all came down with Covid.  (they all disappeared and had scheduled performances.)  The last 2 sea days were lacking in activities, but we weren't looking for things to do as we were looking for down time in the sun.

• Thanks 2

KSMAXEY, Thanks. We are going purely to get a tan and thaw out. -16/F here. I suspect there may be a ‘Band of Brothers’ camaderie amongst the wee few that may be aboard. (Better odds to win Trivia I guess.  Thanks again

• Like 2