Rome hotel recommendation - Pre and post cruise Odyssey of the Seas 8/30/22

Azspeed

38 minutes ago, Azspeed said:

One night pre and one night post cruise. Just a convenient hotel to the airport and the ship. Thanks for your thoughts.

You do realize that the airport (Civitavecchia) is 45 minutes away from Rome and the port is an hour away from Rome.  Staying by either the port or airport will not leave you close to Rome.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You do realize that the airport (Civitavecchia) is 45 minutes away from Rome and the port is an hour away from Rome.  Staying by either the port or airport will not leave you close to Rome.

Thanks - The cruise is plenty for us. Rome not sight-seeing is not an issue. Just a place to stay convenient to the airport or ship.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Azspeed said:

Thanks - The cruise is plenty for us. Rome not sight-seeing is not an issue. Just a place to stay convenient to the airport or ship.

The closes brand to airport is the Hilton being a covered walk away.  Then take a taxi next morning.  Rome Cabs have prices on their website.

1 hour ago, Azspeed said:

Have you already visited Rome? I can't imagine being that close to Rome and NOT seeing any of it. If you haven't been there before, you could book a tour of Rome the day the cruise ends - with pick-up at the port and drop-off at an airport hotel.  The cruise line will offer one, as well as private tour companies.

• Like 1

I keep trying to plan our time pre/post cruise..... but the airline keeps cancelling and changing our flights so I can't really plan anything yet.   

We'll be in either Venice or Florence pre cruise and really wish I could take an early morning train precruise to get to Civitavecchia... but know I should probably take a late train the night before and sleep the night somewhere.

We plan to tour Rome post Odyssey.

2 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

I keep trying to plan our time pre/post cruise..... but the airline keeps cancelling and changing our flights so I can't really plan anything yet.   

We'll be in either Venice or Florence pre cruise and really wish I could take an early morning train precruise to get to Civitavecchia... but know I should probably take a late train the night before and sleep the night somewhere.

We plan to tour Rome post Odyssey.

Good idea!  Get a hotel at least less than an hour by car to the port, as train strikes and other random “oh Italy” things can happen.....good luck and enjoy the trip! 

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Check the ports of call threads or your Roll Call for ideas.

I second this. I know there is a very comprehensive post on Rome hotels already in the Italy - Ports of Call forum as I read it myself when I was looking for suggestions for hotels. There are several people that monitor that forum and are quick to respond to people's questions. 

On 1/17/2022 at 10:08 AM, NancyIL said:

Have you already visited Rome? I can't imagine being that close to Rome and NOT seeing any of it. If you haven't been there before, you could book a tour of Rome the day the cruise ends - with pick-up at the port and drop-off at an airport hotel.  The cruise line will offer one, as well as private tour companies.

Yes, we've already done Rome, so it's just a cruise for us.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Good idea!  Get a hotel at least less than an hour by car to the port, as train strikes and other random “oh Italy” things can happen.....good luck and enjoy the trip! 

Exactly why we're waiting till August when hopefully things are back to normal. And then to be on the safe side a day in early and a flight next day.

• Like 1