Travel insurance

On 1/18/2022 at 7:38 AM, SRF said:

This a great idea.

Buy Royal's insurance to cover the cruise fare, then purchase a 3rd party insurance for $0 trip cost.  It will still cover the medical and medevac, just not the cost of the cruise.  And it will be CHEAP.  I pay about $35 for travel insurance covering $0 of the trip cost.

Not sure this question is allowed, but do you have any recommendations on which company is best for this type of coverage. I have searched but can't find any that do $0 trip cost coverage.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:40 AM, SRF said:

Tickets and packages at Walt Disney World Resort are nontransferable and nonrefundable. You cannot cancel or get a refund for a ticket or package, but in some cases you can use unexpired theme park tickets for a future vacation.

Expiration is based on you using the tickets, so if you don't even get there, you should be good to go later.

Unless they have changed, if you HAVEN'T used a multi day ticket, you can transfer it to anyone.  If you're not staying in a Disney hotel (you didn't say Galactic Starcruiser for Star Wars) you won't be buying a package anyway, so the only sunk costs will be the tickets (which unused have a long expiry day).

On 1/18/2022 at 4:38 AM, SRF said:

This a great idea.

Buy Royal's insurance to cover the cruise fare, then purchase a 3rd party insurance for $0 trip cost.  It will still cover the medical and medevac, just not the cost of the cruise.  And it will be CHEAP.  I pay about $35 for travel insurance covering $0 of the trip cost.

You dont always have to put in a $0 trip cost.  I know of 1 large insurance company that the premium wont change whether you put $0 or $1000.  Once you go to $1001 then the premium will start  to increase.  Might as well have a $1000 cancellation converge.

One other thing to think about is a lot of them will put quarantine coverage under trip interruption,  so if you insure the trip for $0 you have zero quarantine coverage.  Again might not be specific to cruising but definitely for other vacations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Unless they have changed, if you HAVEN'T used a multi day ticket, you can transfer it to anyone.  If you're not staying in a Disney hotel (you didn't say Galactic Starcruiser for Star Wars) you won't be buying a package anyway, so the only sunk costs will be the tickets (which unused have a long expiry day).

I quoted the words from the Disney page.

THEY say non-transferable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whitshel said:

You dont always have to put in a $0 trip cost.  I know of 1 large insurance company that the premium wont change whether you put $0 or $1000.  Once you go to $1001 then the premium will start  to increase.  Might as well have a $1000 cancellation converge.

One other thing to think about is a lot of them will put quarantine coverage under trip interruption,  so if you insure the trip for $0 you have zero quarantine coverage.  Again might not be specific to cruising but definitely for other vacations.

Yes, you have to play with the numbers.  I was quoting from the insurer that I use.

As I said, for Travel Insured, through the portal from my insurance company, the increase in cost for $500 of trip coverage is minimal.  But over that, the costs go up quickly.

And it is all about YOUR willingness to assume some part of the risk.  Just like setting the deductible on your car and home insurance.  

On 1/17/2022 at 12:37 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

I booked a 2023 cruise a few months ago.  I did not add travel insurance.  Is it too late to add it on?  If not, any recommendations on good “cancel for any reason”, also covers medical, travel insurance?

Check to see if your charge card includes travel insurance. Mine does.

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Check to see if your charge card includes travel insurance. Mine does.

Credit card coverage does not include cancel for any reason nor does it cover pre-existing conditions. Trip interruption pays for only the unused days of the trip, and trip delay is capped at $500 (Chase Sapphire). Coverage is significantly limited compared to a traditional travel policy. That is how they can provide it as a benefit for the cost of your annual fee.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

That my be true for a given card, but each card is different.  And terms change.

Best is to go to the web site for the card you booked with or plan on booking with and seeing what THEY offer.

Of course they are different. All I said was check yours before you buy any. Mine is from Bank of America. I pay $90 a year and cruise 4-5 a year so it is very inexpensive for me to have that card. I also get 3.75% of any thing I purchase for the cruise including the cruise. I had to use the insurance once and it was easy and received a check within 2 weeks. It covers a lot for any travel you may do. Not just a cruise.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Did you contact the actual insurance company?

Royal acts as a agent for the insurance company.  Royal does not insure you.

Yes. Twice. And emailed per AON’s(that’s the insurance company Royal uses) instructions. I was told from an agent that they’re ‘contacting Royal Caribbean’ to verify, which they have my booking ID of the canceled January Jewel cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep avoiding setting up any kind of travel insurance, knowing that at last resort I can just purchase it from Royal Caribbean.  Their whole Cruise with Confidence Policy has me moving in very slow motion.  Because of the past two years, I'm worried about all the "what ifs" - flight cancellations, hurricanes, illnesses, etc.

I like the idea of the zero-trip cost for the cruise itself.  I'll definitely play around with that as an option.  It's really the possible medical evacuation or missing the ship that are my main concerns today.  (Tomorrow, it could be something else.)

Edited by MississippiMom