Rcl excursions. How bad are mosquitoes in Belize

We did a river run in Belize, the boat had a pair of 200hp outboards and the guides told him to drive it like he stole it. He did 🙂

Destination was the Lamanai ruins. An interesting day and I don't remember any biting things at all.

• Haha 1

Not sure if you're open to non-rci excursions, but we did about 6 years ago the cave tubing with Vital Nature & Maya & Cavetubing — Cavetubing

They were AWESOME!  Worth every penny. As far as mosquitos, I don't' remember being bothered. But then again, we brought our Ben's.  I love it doesn't smell and I don't have to swim in it.  A spritz on each arm &  leg and one on back of neck always seems to do the trick.  Remember you just have to be less appetizing than the people near you. :).

Erika

1 minute ago, birdylady said:

Not sure if you're open to non-rci excursions, but we did about 6 years ago the cave tubing with Vital Nature & Maya & Cavetubing — Cavetubing

They were AWESOME!  Worth every penny. As far as mosquitos, I don't' remember being bothered. But then again, we brought our Ben's.  I love it doesn't smell and I don't have to swim in it.  A spritz on each arm &  leg and one on back of neck always seems to do the trick.  Remember you just have to be less appetizing than the people near you. :).

Erika

I'm solo so unless my roll call does a excursion, solo private excursions arent my thing. thanks for replying.

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm solo so unless my roll call does a excursion, solo private excursions arent my thing. thanks for replying.

If you have an active roll call, maybe you can suggest a group book with them.  That's actually how we did it. So the whole bus was only from our ship.  In this day and age, makes it feel even safer.  Just saying. 🙂

Erika

My DH is a mosquito magnet and we always pack bug spray and make sure we get one with the highest possible Deet.    He Doc had suggested a couple years ago that we get Hep A vaccine as an extra precaution when traveling to places like panama, Belize, etc.  Its rare but since he is an organ transplant recipient, better safe than sorry.  

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I remember seeing that zoo excursion in the past. Not offered either of my Belize dates. I would for sure have done the zoo. I love animals. 

It was nice to see them in a jungle habitat and not a concrete habitat like we normally see. 

• Like 1

Re "AfterBite":    Not all AfterBite products are the same.

Make sure the one you buy contains the one that contains 3.5% Ammonia to neutralize the formic acid injected by mosquitos and some other biting insects. 

The product is effective only is applied at the time of the bite and not after the reaction has occurred.

The tube is labeled as "Original" and sometimes is found in the camping/sporting goods section, not the health and beauty aid aisle.

Edited by Homosassa

Funny memories. We did the Lamanai ruins & speedboat in February. I came prepared, long sleeves, long pants, hat, socks and closed shoes I even brought a net for my face which I didn’t use. Hubby, short sleeves, shorts, sandals. We were not affected by mosquitoes but DH got ant bites on his feet after standing for a while near a tree. 
Roatan. We just loved the sloth refuge. They seemed to be well taken care of. 
Would do both again. Got to see a toucan in the wild on the speedboat tour.