Project Blue Website Release

FlowBroTy

American Cruise Lines has updated their website today and has given us an official release on Project Blue which is a “go anywhere” class of 12 ships that are being built and designed in the U.S. by Chesapeake Shipbuilding and will have a capacity of just 109 guests. The first two ships are going to be called American Eagle and American Glory and they will debut in 2023 along the East Coast.  

photo.thumb.jpg.278d9f0659d378b5149b5bf69cdfb63b.jpg

Interesting design. A few initial thoughts;

1. It appears to be a catamaran design, but deck #1 is at the same level as the twin hulls. Not sure it can be a true catamaran.

2. Only 3 single cabins. Many ACL customers travel alone and singles sell out first. Why only include 3 singles?

3. 2 elevators on such a small ship !!!

4. Dining room design is unusual for ACL.The kitchen is in the middle and the seating wraps around in a "U" shape rather than one big room that is normal for ACL. You won't be able to see 2/3 of the dining room wherever you sit.

5 Seating in dining room. They are showing 22 - four tops and 4 - six tops for a total of 112 seats. A big change from the usual 8 person tables on ACL. Discourages meeting new people at meals.

• Like 1

Agree about the singles.  I called the other day to book any cruise this summer that was round trip Boston.  Only 1 single cabin available the whole summer, so I grabbed it even though I would have preferred another date.

Too bad the ships are not ready now. We go on the Constellation in April. All their current ships need an interior facelift so hopefully these new ships will replace all the old ones. I like the smaller size; maybe there will be less tenders and more anchoring at piers. Having to take a boat to shore wastes so much time.

I like the smaller size too.  Some things I noticed...

- They managed to squeeze in a Back Porch cafe.

- There is a walking track on the top deck (although not all renditions show this).

- The "cheap" cabins on Deck 1 have large (and oddly-shaped) windows

- The light and airy decor introduced in the newer ships (Melody, etc.) has been replicated here.

Got to wondering how the low number of singles cabins compares with the rest of the fleet.  Here's the percentage of singles cabins versus total cabins:

- 4% for Constellation-class ships

- 5% for Project Blue

- 8% for the old Independence-class ships as well as the new Modern Riverboat fleet

- 21% for the Heritage and other paddlewheel ships! 

On 1/19/2022 at 1:40 PM, twototravel said:

All their current ships need an interior facelift so hopefully these new ships will replace all the old ones.

The Independence/Star/Spirit ships are indeed getting long in the tooth, and the Constellation/Constitution ships aren't in such great shape either.  However, the ACL website says the the Pride/West/Heritage/Splendor ships will be getting a "total redesign" for their 2022 seasons.