Future Sailings

pinotlover

Not a political post. I put no conversation on the speculation of a Russian invasion of Ukraine. I will put odds on whether the U.S., and other western governments , will allow their citizens to visit Russia if they do invade. I put those odds at zero (0) if they do.

So how many of you are signed up for St. Petersburg, Marmesk, or Archangel, Black Sea? Getting nervous?

I must say I’m amazed at Viking, and other river cruise companies , actively selling cruises through what may be an active war zone! 

Think coronavirus is an issue? How many years will a Russian invasion shut down many of those ports? No vaccinations for that trick!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

Political traveler spouse put Putinland on his personal no-go list about seven years ago, which is why we did our Norwegian exploration in 2016 on Azamara because Oceania’s primarily Norwegian itinerary includes Russian ports after North Cape such as Murmansk.

An embargo would not upset me at all. Cuba is no threat but still embargoed!

Edited by CintiPam

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Not a political post. I put no conversation on the speculation of a Russian invasion of Ukraine. I will put odds on whether the U.S., and other western governments , will allow their citizens to visit Russia if they do invade. I put those odds at zero (0) if they do.

So how many of you are signed up for St. Petersburg, Marmesk, or Archangel, Black Sea? Getting nervous?...

We are signed up for a Baltic cruise on Marina for this summer. I have some concern regarding potential political issues interfering with our being allowed to visit St. Petersburg. Considering that the overwhelmingly main reason we are doing the cruise is to visit that city, I am concerned. We originally scheduled such a trip (not on Oceania, originally) for 2020, which was rescheduled for 2021, which was cancelled. So, I'd kind of like this one to come off.

However, the variety of possible actions by Russia as well as the variety of possible responses from the US covers so much of a range. After the Russian annexation of Crimea in 2014, the only travel limitations imposed on US citizens was that we cancelled the Presidential delegation to the Winter Paralympics in Sochi. Our athletes still went and spectators who were US citizens were not prohibited from attending. Granted that an invasion of Ukraine would be more significant that annexing one of its territories, I am taking a "wait and see" attitude for now. We're still a few months from final payment, so we can afford to just observe developments for now.

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

So how many of you are signed up for St. Petersburg, Marmesk, or Archangel, Black Sea? Getting nervous?

I must say I’m amazed at Viking, and other river cruise companies , actively selling cruises through what may be an active war zone! 

Think coronavirus is an issue? How many years will a Russian invasion shut down many of those ports? No vaccinations for that trick!

Well look at Iran , Venezuela and Cuba....     still shut after years.     You have a good point.    AND then the elephant in the room.......CHINA   with many boycotts/sanctions  and  unrest  over China?   How about that  China cruise????

11 hours ago, ExArkie said:

We are signed up for a Baltic cruise on Marina for this summer. I have some concern regarding potential political issues interfering with our being allowed to visit St. Petersburg. Considering that the overwhelmingly main reason we are doing the cruise is to visit that city, I am concerned. We originally scheduled such a trip (not on Oceania, originally) for 2020, which was rescheduled for 2021, which was cancelled. So, I'd kind of like this one to come off.

However, the variety of possible actions by Russia as well as the variety of possible responses from the US covers so much of a range. After the Russian annexation of Crimea in 2014, the only travel limitations imposed on US citizens was that we cancelled the Presidential delegation to the Winter Paralympics in Sochi. Our athletes still went and spectators who were US citizens were not prohibited from attending. Granted that an invasion of Ukraine would be more significant that annexing one of its territories, I am taking a "wait and see" attitude for now. We're still a few months from final payment, so we can afford to just observe developments for now.

Well said,  We are in the same situation this summer is our third chance of sailing the Baltic.  Short of out break war, I believe (barring another COVID variant) the cruise will go ahead.  If war does breakout, O will cancel all cruise in the vicinity for safety reasons, or drastically change the ports.

We will be on the ship on July 31st unless they cancel.  After being stuck at home for two years, we just want to travel the world again.

If they do cancel, we will apply the refund towards an Antarctica Cruise that lands allows us to put our feet ashore.