Caribbean P Jan 9 to Mar 13 live review/updates

Waynetor

2 hours ago, phabric said:

For Covid tests in FLL, try Lab Doctors (check out their site) on 17th St, the plaza across from Embassy Suites.  They do walk in, rapid test for $49 and PCR .

FLL airport (check out their site) also does Covid testing. I think baggage area terminal 3, rapid $69(?) and PCR.

For the past few cruises from FLL, Covid tests, for International cruisers were done after you left baggage area, dock side.

On Princess webinair yesterday, someone asked about post cruise testing and the Senior VP, North Americia, said Covid testing for international passengers were still free and he specially mentioned Canadian needing a rapid test now. .

More specifically, people travelling to Canada can either do a PCR test within 3 days of entering Canada, or a Rapid Antigen test within 24 hours of entering. If your coming off a cruise and catching a flight midday, could be challenging to do a Rapid Antigen test if it’s not being offered by the cruise line or airport . 

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

More specifically, people travelling to Canada can either do a PCR test within 3 days of entering Canada, or a Rapid Antigen test within 24 hours of entering. If your coming off a cruise and catching a flight midday, could be challenging to do a Rapid Antigen test if it’s not being offered by the cruise line or airport . 

Recheck that info given by guest services.  I’ve been given wrong info several times.  Tests for International travelers is done at the terminal after you disembark, not OB.  

It is not done by

medical OB.
If they are out of tests, that is possible due to all the b2b passengers.  But, there should be more stock at each turnaround.  

I would check when you disembark.

There are a lot of new people at guest services.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JetJock_YHZ said:

I’m on Caribbean Princess now as well (2022-02-24). I’m Canadian and was planning on getting my PCR test to fly home upon disembarkation, as stated on Princess’ website:

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

I decided to check with Guest Services today to see if I needed to book a testing time, or if it was walk-in. I was advised that Princess no longer provides COVID testing for Canadians (and most likely other non-US nationalities). The only solution provided was to “check at the airport”. I was told that this change in policy only occurred a few days ago - something about running out of test kits?

Fortunately, I purchased a few proctored PCR and Antigen tests before I left home, so I should be OK.

This is just a heads-up for the consideration of those following me who may be affected by this unpublished change to Princess’ policy.

Also, I would be glad to help answer any questions you might have about this ship and this sailing.

This happened to our friends who are also from Canada.  After Guest Services were of no help, they went directly to the Medical Center and were given a time when they could go get the Covid test.  This was on the Grand, but certainly worth a try.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JetJock_YHZ said:

I’m on Caribbean Princess now as well (2022-02-24). I’m Canadian and was planning on getting my PCR test to fly home upon disembarkation, as stated on Princess’ website:

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

I decided to check with Guest Services today to see if I needed to book a testing time, or if it was walk-in. I was advised that Princess no longer provides COVID testing for Canadians (and most likely other non-US nationalities). The only solution provided was to “check at the airport”. I was told that this change in policy only occurred a few days ago - something about running out of test kits?

Fortunately, I purchased a few proctored PCR and Antigen tests before I left home, so I should be OK.

This is just a heads-up for the consideration of those following me who may be affected by this unpublished change to Princess’ policy.

Also, I would be glad to help answer any questions you might have about this ship and this sailing.

Please recheck that when you disembark. They should have an

Area set up for testing International 

guests who need the test.

See my remarks further down on this topic and please let others know

the outcome.

6 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

This happened to our friends who are also from Canada.  After Guest Services were of no help, they went directly to the Medical Center and were given a time when they could go get the Covid test.  This was on the Grand, but certainly worth a try.

Great idea.  If you call them, you have to go through Guest services.  If you go down there, just check the hours they are open first on the patter.

This should be reported to Customer Relations at Princess.

Follow-up… I spoke with the Manager of Guest Services this afternoon. Post-cruise testing, for all cruise lines, has been contracted out to LifeLine Ambulance Inc. This is not the same company which provides pre-cruise testing (DocsGo). LifeLine has run out of PCR tests due to supply issues, so cruise lines are referring passengers to the airport and offering a refund process for any costs incurred. Princess will not conduct a COVID test on board, other than for testing a sick passenger and those doing B2B’s. As fortune would have it, we will be arriving in Port Everglades on the 27th, and I am flying home to Canada on the 28th. This coincides perfectly with the rule change, in my particular case. Complimentary Antigen tests will be available upon arrival, so I should be OK. Princess should update their FAQ on this issue. Good for Canadians, but may still adversely affect other nationalities. Hope this helps.

Edited by JetJock_YHZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update… received in my cabin this evening:

“We hope you have enjoyed your voyage on board Caribbean Princess. It has been our pleasure to host you on this cruise.
Our records indicate that your onward travel plans may require a COVID-19 PCR test, which we had arranged to have administered at the cruise terminal immediately following your disembarkation
tomorrow. We have just been informed by our testing vendor that due to the global shortage of RT PCR tests, they will not have any tests available.
We deeply apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. We attempted to find an alternate solution, but regretfully the global supply chain issues have affected all the vendors in the area.
PCR testing is offered at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) through Nomi Health. Rapid PC test results are available up to 45 minutes after testing at a cost of $159 USD, and they accept credit and debit cards for payment. The testing service is in Terminal 3 near Door 314, in the lower level near baggage claim (pre-security). Follow the directional signage at the airport to the testing site.
To book a test in advance, visit https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsiteor scan the QR code below with the camera app on your mobile phone or other smart device. Rapid PCR test results are available up to 45 minutes after testing at a cost of $159 USD, and credit and debit cards are accepted
for payment. For questions about COVID-19 testing, screening results, or online appointment support, please call 305-280-0441 or 833-483-1319.
We understand that this may cause you to incur unexpected expenses. If you must pay for a test that is not covered by your health insurance, we will reimburse you. Should you incur un-reimbursable testing fees, a reimbursement form is available at princess.com/refund-request.
Again, we regret this disruption to the end of your cruise vacation and appreciate your understanding that it is beyond our control. If you would like to adjust your disembarkation time to allow additional time before your flight, please visit Guest Services for assistance.
Thank you for sailing with us, and we wish you safe onward travels.”

PS: I was advised by Guest Services that complimentary Antigen test ARE still available. Fine if you’re travelling back to Canada on or after February 28th. Bring a backup test kit with you!

• Like 1

JetJock_YHZ,

Thanks for your detailed/quick update while you're on your vacation.

Fortunately Canada will change to Antigen test soon, I hope Canada and USA will eliminate any test for fully vaccinated travelers.

Last week I noted on the last sea day the chair hogs were out in full force.  Today the weather was great but no issue around the pool.  Then I realized that with the reduced Patter size there is no noticed about saving chairs and there are no announcements or notices of any kind so there is no visible policy re saving lounge chairs.  The same in the theatre.  They make announcement re covering up and spacing as you leave but nothing about saving seats.

We talked to one of the wait staff at breakfast today that was on a ship when cruising shut down.  She said for a time they were still paid as there were others to serve but eventually, they were laid off.  For a time they had freedom to wander around and use the pool but eventually they were confined to cabins.  Most were in passenger balcony cabins but some were in the inside cabins.  Those in inside cabins were allowed out at set times for fresh air.  They had to pay for internet usage.   

The house band, Opus, is leaving this weekend as well as 1 of the cruise directors staff.  Other staff are ending contracts soon.

We have done most trivia since getting on and there have been some confusing questions.  For example, today the gist of a question was “What do use to play within the game of volleyball.”  Sounded like a trick question.  Most people said “a volleyball”.  The question should have read “with in” instead of “within” and they were looking for hands.

The head of Princess entertainment was on board last week.  One of the staff told me there was discussion on new prizes and on going to a point system where you cash in points at the end for better prizes.  We were on a Royal P cruise a couple years ago where they did the point system.  If you are real good but only play occasionally you won’t get many points but if you are frequently in the top 3 then points can add up as they did not do tie breakers.  The point system can be good is cases where a team dominates all week excluding any other team for winning anything but means you have to play frequently.

At the Captain circle party tonight, they announced there were 232 elites and 227 platinum on board.  The top 3 nights were 1,324, 1652 and 1,909.

Kathy – I met Terrance today.  Seems nice and is looking forward to seeing you next week.

JetJock - thanks for the explanation for testing going back to Canada.  I have not worried about it too much yet as I keep expecting things to change before we head back in 2 weeks,

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 9:41 PM, JetJock_YHZ said:

Per a Princess webinar this week:

o Canada now permits antigen tests when flying into Canada. Previously they only accepted PCR tests.

o PCR tests cost more than antigen tests.

o Since Canada will now accept the antigen tests, Princess will no longer provide PCR tests for those who need a test before flying to Canada.

o Princess will now provide free antigen tests instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waynetor said:

The head of Princess entertainment was on board last week.  One of the staff told me there was discussion on new prizes and on going to a point system where you cash in points at the end for better prizes. 

We have been on longer Princess cruises such as a trans-Atlantic where they did use the point system.

038 12.19.10 Prize token exchange in Wheelhouse Bar 101_9393.JPG

026 5.12.07 Prize selection for prize cards 100_4975.JPG

037 12.15.10 Prize token for winning an activity 101_9018.JPG

Today at the Most Travelled luncheon we were seated at a table for 6 but both other couples were no shows so they were quickly able to find the next couple on the list that happened to be not too far from the restaurant so we did have some company.  The captain announced that he is leaving tomorrow.  I found out later that Vincenzo Lubrano is coming back to the ship. 

We got a notice in our cabin this evening that Grand Caymon has been canceled for next week and will be replaced by a sea day plus 2 extra hours in Cozumel. 

That makes 4 cancellations for that port this year.  Previously we have not a a good history with Grand Cayman.  First time there we had a normal day.  Second time the captain came on the PA and announced it was too rough to tender but we would sit there for a few hours so we could see the island - after a few hours a tender was sent to shore and came back with that night's entertainer.  Third time there the captain announced a storm was coming and everyone was requested to be back on board by 2pm so naturally nearly everyone chose to show up at 2 for the last tender and we did not leave until the previously scheduled time and forth time we skipped the island again due to tendering not possible.  An entertainer was to join us then and he had to fly to Houston and then Cozumel to catch up while an entertainer that was to leave, did an extra show. 

Jet-Jack don't worry about any post high-jack.  Any extra info is most welcome 

1 hour ago, Waynetor said:

Today at the Most Travelled luncheon we were seated at a table for 6 but both other couples were no shows so they were quickly able to find the next couple on the list that happened to be not too far from the restaurant so we did have some company.  The captain announced that he is leaving tomorrow.  I found out later that Vincenzo Lubrano is coming back to the ship. 

We got a notice in our cabin this evening that Grand Caymon has been canceled for next week and will be replaced by a sea day plus 2 extra hours in Cozumel. 

That makes 4 cancellations for that port this year.  Previously we have not a a good history with Grand Cayman.  First time there we had a normal day.  Second time the captain came on the PA and announced it was too rough to tender but we would sit there for a few hours so we could see the island - after a few hours a tender was sent to shore and came back with that night's entertainer.  Third time there the captain announced a storm was coming and everyone was requested to be back on board by 2pm so naturally nearly everyone chose to show up at 2 for the last tender and we did not leave until the previously scheduled time and forth time we skipped the island again due to tendering not possible.  An entertainer was to join us then and he had to fly to Houston and then Cozumel to catch up while an entertainer that was to leave, did an extra show. 

I read that in early February Grand Cayman extended their ban on cruise ships that has been in effect since March 2020 until February 28 when it will be reviewed again.  I would not be surprised if they continue the ban.  

We were on the Caribbean Princess back in March 2020.  It was they last cruise the CB made before the shutdown.  Grand Cayman was supposed to our last port.  The day before we were to be there they announced Grand Cayman wasn’t allowing any ships.  We ended up sitting off shore waiting for an air ambulance from Miami to show up to take 2 people with medical emergencies off the ship and to bring test kits for 2 crew that were in isolation because they got on our cruise from the ship that was quarantined in San Francisco.  We spent the last 2 days of the cruise waiting for the test results.  If they tested positive they weren’t going to let us off the ship in Ft Lauderdale.  Luckily they were negative and we disembarked as planned.  But it was a couple crazy days waiting to hear as well as everyone starting to pay attention with what was going on with the chaos back home.  

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 10:17 PM, Waynetor said:

Last week I noted on the last sea day the chair hogs were out in full force.  Today the weather was great but no issue around the pool.  Then I realized that with the reduced Patter size there is no noticed about saving chairs and there are no announcements or notices of any kind so there is no visible policy re saving lounge chairs.  The same in the theatre.  They make announcement re covering up and spacing as you leave but nothing about saving seats.

We talked to one of the wait staff at breakfast today that was on a ship when cruising shut down.  She said for a time they were still paid as there were others to serve but eventually, they were laid off.  For a time they had freedom to wander around and use the pool but eventually they were confined to cabins.  Most were in passenger balcony cabins but some were in the inside cabins.  Those in inside cabins were allowed out at set times for fresh air.  They had to pay for internet usage.   

The house band, Opus, is leaving this weekend as well as 1 of the cruise directors staff.  Other staff are ending contracts soon.

We have done most trivia since getting on and there have been some confusing questions.  For example, today the gist of a question was “What do use to play within the game of volleyball.”  Sounded like a trick question.  Most people said “a volleyball”.  The question should have read “with in” instead of “within” and they were looking for hands.

The head of Princess entertainment was on board last week.  One of the staff told me there was discussion on new prizes and on going to a point system where you cash in points at the end for better prizes.  We were on a Royal P cruise a couple years ago where they did the point system.  If you are real good but only play occasionally you won’t get many points but if you are frequently in the top 3 then points can add up as they did not do tie breakers.  The point system can be good is cases where a team dominates all week excluding any other team for winning anything but means you have to play frequently.

At the Captain circle party tonight, they announced there were 232 elites and 227 platinum on board.  The top 3 nights were 1,324, 1652 and 1,909.

Kathy – I met Terrance today.  Seems nice and is looking forward to seeing you next week.

JetJock - thanks for the explanation for testing going back to Canada.  I have not worried about it too much yet as I keep expecting things to change before we head back in 2 weeks,

Wayne

Do you believe this that when the cabin stewards on leaving that on the day they are leaving to go home they must do the regular turnaround on the ship? Poor Terrance they haven't even told the poor soul what time he may leave the ship. The only thing they told him is what time his flight to India leaves from Miami?

Kathy

I disembarked Caribbean Princess Sunday morning. After clearing Customs and exiting the Terminal 2, DocGo was set up for departing passengers only. No sign of any testing area for people returning home. Effective Monday, the 28th, an antigen test one day prior, or a PCR test within 72 hours of arrival in Canada is OK for Canadians heading home. Save yourself some stress and get a couple of Switch-Health test kits. I’m glad I got mine. Safe travels!

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/02/government-of-canada-lightens-border-measures-as-part-of-transition-of-the-pandemic-response.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Wayne

Do you believe this that when the cabin stewards on leaving that on the day they are leaving to go home they must do the regular turnaround on the ship? Poor Terrance they haven't even told the poor soul what time he may leave the ship. The only thing they told him is what time his flight to India leaves from Miami?

Kathy

I’m not Wayne, but I watched the crew members yesterday on the turnaround get off the ship.  It was the ones leaving to go home and the new crew coming on board.  It was about 945-1000 am.

They get off when all the passengers and b2b’s are off the ship. 

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I’m not Wayne, but I watched the crew members yesterday on the turnaround get off the ship.  It was the ones leaving to go home and the new crew coming on board.  It was about 945-1000 am.

They get off when all the passengers and b2b’s are off the ship. 

As I said in an earlier post I became friends with my cabin steward over the two week holiday cruise on CP. I have been communicating with him on what's app. I live in F. Lauderdale and going to pick him up next Sunday and take him to Miami airport for his flight back to India. He is the one who told me he had to do his regular cabins on turnaround day next Sunday before we leave for airport. I only know what he told me.

7 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

As I said in an earlier post I became friends with my cabin steward over the two week holiday cruise on CP. I have been communicating with him on what's app. I live in F. Lauderdale and going to pick him up next Sunday and take him to Miami airport for his flight back to India. He is the one who told me he had to do his regular cabins on turnaround day next Sunday before we leave for airport. I only know what he told me.

You are so kind.  

Re crew leaving - it is my previous experience that leaving crew work in the morning - they need to serve breakfast and help with getting the ship ready as the new crew are not there yet.  Having said that, we were the 3rd passengers back on the ship on Sunday and just before getting off I saw a good number of crew coming down a ramp.  They still had uniforms on.   As we crossed the bridge to get on, I could see crew gathered around on the dock area.  Some of them had luggage but I'm not sure if they were the new crew or not.  Although there is more work to do in the cabins on Sunday compared to other days the cabins do get done quite quickly.  

Kathy - Ask Terrence if he knows what time a bus would be going to Maimi for any other crew leaving and having flights from there.  That may give a clue.

16 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

Re crew leaving - it is my previous experience that leaving crew work in the morning - they need to serve breakfast and help with getting the ship ready as the new crew are not there yet.  Having said that, we were the 3rd passengers back on the ship on Sunday and just before getting off I saw a good number of crew coming down a ramp.  They still had uniforms on.   As we crossed the bridge to get on, I could see crew gathered around on the dock area.  Some of them had luggage but I'm not sure if they were the new crew or not.  Although there is more work to do in the cabins on Sunday compared to other days the cabins do get done quite quickly.  

Kathy - Ask Terrence if he knows what time a bus would be going to Maimi for any other crew leaving and having flights from there.  That may give a clue.

Wayne

Great idea. I just sent him a what's app but he already told me he had to do his cabins for turnaround before leaving the ship. I have asked him several times now what time he gets off. He just says he can't give me an exact time but I know his flight leaves for India around 6 I think. I would have to go back to check. It is not really a big deal I could tell him to call me when he knows he is getting off as I am about 25 minutes away. There also is no traffic out on Sunday down here unless the snowbirds are messing around or until I get to the port. But I think the cruisers will already be off so maybe the traffic in the port won't be too bad.

LOL
Kathy

On 2/26/2022 at 6:28 PM, Waynetor said:

@WaynetorThanks ever so much for all your posts. West Coaster here looking forward to boarding once the ships get to Vancouver. The wide range of topics and information you provide is great reading in anticipation of what lies ahead for me!

8 hours ago, Waynetor said:

Also, the crew in uniform, were sending off our Captain Marco, who was leaving 

the ship on Sunday.  Must have been a little farewell in the terminal for him.