Amtrak station FLL

sj25

Anyone lately ever go to the Amtrak station from the port after the cruise?  I am looking into it and didn't know if you have a hard time ever just being on a cruise and also didn't know how much a taxi is to the station from the port.  I am looking to see maybe take it to Lakeland Florida South(LKL) Thanks 

Right now I get an UBER price of $18 for standard and $26 for "X"

note prices on UBER are dynamic and can change so this is an ESTIMATE. Typically a few dollars less than a taxi.  Also the Port covers a lot of territory and you don't mention (know) which terminal go I just picked one 'in the middle'

AND BE AWARE there are multiple train lines with different stations. Be sure you ask for the AMTRAK station (which is ALSO the Tri-Rail station)

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

And be sure to check the train time for the FLL station.  It is my understanding that due to Amtrak staffing concerns, there is only one train currently.  The Silver Star has been combined with the Silver Meteor.  I do not know which train is actually in service Northbound.  

• Like 1

Used Amtrak after our cruise in November.

We had no problem disembarking and taking a cab directly to the Fort Lauderdale Amtrak station and making the 8:50am train to Orlando.

(Bad news now as they have cancelled the Silver Meteor (temporarily, at least not running in March for our next cruise) that goes directly from S Fla to Orlando..The Silver Star goes to Tampa and then back tracks to Orlando adding a couple of hours)

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Used Amtrak after our cruise in November.

We had no problem disembarking and taking a cab directly to the Fort Lauderdale Amtrak station and making the 8:50am train to Orlando.

(Bad news now as they have cancelled the Silver Meteor (temporarily, at least not running in March for our next cruise) that goes directly from S Fla to Orlando..The Silver Star goes to Tampa and then back tracks to Orlando adding a couple of hours)

We are going to LKL Lakeland south....it's showing on site going

How much did you pay for taxi

I think we paid around $30 for taxi....wish we had taken Uber though because cheaper but was concerned about time and the taxi was at the pier waiting.......took maybe 25 minutes because the taxi driver decided to miss the exit on 95 and go up and turn around....me thinks on purpose to increase the fare.  Another reason to use Uber. 

The 8:50am train that goes directly to Orlando is not operating when we need it in March.

The later train 12noon or  something.....goes to Lakeland then to Tampa then back to Lakeland and then to Orlando.   oh my.

For going to Lakeland, it's a great choice...enjoy the ride!

(funny how Amtrak just got billions in funding from the current Federal administration  but is cutting service to the folks....let's go Amtrak!)

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

(funny how Amtrak just got billions in funding from the current Federal administration  but is cutting service to the folks....let's go Amtrak!)

Amtrak's issue is staffing the trains.  Like other businesses, the "Great American Sickout", thanks to Covid, has impacted their ability to have sufficient operating crews at this time.  Check out the Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum for more details.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 3:38 PM, rkacruiser said:

Amtrak's issue is staffing the trains.  Like other businesses, the "Great American Sickout", thanks to Covid, has impacted their ability to have sufficient operating crews at this time.  Check out the Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum for more details.  

Yes.

like the airlines, Amtrak requires healthy crews at each crew change point. Lose a few people at any point along the route, and the whole train is a no-go.

here in the West Palm Beach area, each airline has canceled flights every day, citing a lack of available crews.

Amtrak has 2 trains a day to Florida (not counting Auto Train) and they just cut 1 train...So that is a 50% reduction in service.....

I look at all the Amtrak trains running in the Northeast Corridor (Washington to Boston) and wonder what would those folks think if 50% of their Amtrak trains were cut......

(It's government subsidized but seems to favor some parts of the country over others...the elites will have their Acela!)

On 1/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, rkacruiser said:

Amtrak's issue is staffing the trains. 

So it's January and they cancel trains in March because people are going to be sick? 

I think those cancelled flights were something that happened around a few days time. 

I think they just don't want to operate the train......

Amtrak used to divide its southbound train from New York  in Jacksonville FL. One section would go to Orlando and Tampa. The other section would go to Orlando and Miami.

The current, combined train goes to both Tampa and Miami, which adds time to the trip.

Exactly.....and they recently cut the other Amtrak train (Silver Meteor) that goes directly between Orlando & South Florida (without a detour to Tampa).

And the reasoning is they are short staffed due to Covid and the train we wanted was cut yet the trip is not until March!!!!  How would you know you will have Covid staffing issues two months from now?  That's some exact science they follow.   LOL>

(I hope they enjoy their recent billions in federal aid while cutting service for the folks)

Edited by FlaMariner

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

And the reasoning is they are short staffed due to Covid and the train we wanted was cut yet the trip is not until March!!!!  How would you know you will have Covid staffing issues two months from now?  That's some exact science they follow.   LOL>

(I hope they enjoy their recent billions in federal aid while cutting service for the folks)

I think I understand your frustration.  Your posts tell me that you are adverse to the increase in the Federal aid that Amtrak is going to receive.  For your Amtrak service area, such a reduction in service with more dollars in sight does seem to be a "slap in your face" as a potential Amtrak customer.  But, is there not a business that has not had to make adjustments because of this pandemic?  Amtrak has been relatively immune until the arrival of the Omicron variant.  

For me, in a very under served Amtrak area for a long time, those Federal dollars promise passenger rail service that has been lost since the Carter Administration.  As an Amtrak supporter, I am hopeful.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

As an Amtrak supporter, I am hopeful.  

Always been an Amtrak supporter (& railfan) but think it's time to re-think all the $$$ going into Amtrak with less service for the folks "not in the northeast corridor".  

Why cancel a train to Florida and say it is because of staffing due to Corona and the train trip is in March?  LOL.

I am excited about the Brightline high speed rail hopefully w/ Orlando to Miami service next year.  Mr. Flagler would be proud!  And the business case is built on real estate values. 

(BTW, instead of taking the 7 hour 10 minute train with a detour to Tampa, we are looking at Red Coach Bus with a 4.5 hour ride.......trying to stay out of the air for such a short trip and interested in how Red Coach delivers)

Thanks for your insight.......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Why cancel a train to Florida and say it is because of staffing due to Corona and the train trip is in March?  

Maybe to give possible passengers a "heads up" as to the possibilities?  Isn't that better than arriving at an airport to find your flight has been cancelled because there is not the crew needed to fly your aircraft to your destination due to Covid sick-outs?  

If the staffing situations change and more Amtrak crew could be available, more service could be restored.  

9 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

think it's time to re-think all the $$$ going into Amtrak with less service for the folks "not in the northeast corridor".  

When was the last time that you contacted your United States Senators and your member of the House of Representatives about your legitimate concern?  I have contacted mine.  But, for those of us who live in Ohio, the possibility of beginning Amtrak service on the 3C+D corridor is going to depend upon a very conservative General Assembly.  The Federal money will be there.  But, the General Assembly needs to come up with some dollars as well.  

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When was the last time that you contacted your United States Senators and your member of the House of Representatives about your legitimate concern? 

Last week when I got the "cancellation" of the train.....To our congressman.  Explained the concern in terms of less trains to Florida (50% cut not counting Auto Train) after you voted to give them billions and billions.  No response yet.  He voted for the $$$ to Amtrak. He needs to help us at least keep our current service......Frustrating. 

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe to give possible passengers a "heads up" as to the possibilities?  Isn't that better than arriving at an airport to find your flight has been cancelled because there is not the crew needed to fly your aircraft to your destination due to Covid sick-outs?  

That's true to everything.....Nothing would operate if the possibility that something might happen in the future might happen.  Can you imagine if an airline cancelled flights two months from now because they might not have staffing?  Not understanding why Amtrak can get away with that but then when I see it is a government service, it's understood. 

(I've ridden almost every "named" Amtrak train and love train travel but lately, I'm thinking Amtrak  is money down a rat hole (unless we live in the northeast corridor) and we need to stop if this is what we get)

I'm excited about Brightline.  Private.  

And I enjoy the discussion w/you and appreciate the viewpoint. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

And I enjoy the discussion w/you and appreciate the viewpoint. 

As I do as well.  

To our congressman

No response yet.  

Don't hold your breath until you get a response.  If your members of Congress are like mine:  my member of the House never responds, one Senator replies with long position statements that have nothing to do with my communication with him, (although several years ago, I did receive a phone call from one of his aides in response to a letter that I sent), and the other Senator does respond, but, then, I am on his e-mail list for a campaign contribution.  

When the Covid took root in 2020, many Amtrak and airline employees took advantage of early retirement offers. Others were furloughed, and took  jobs in different industries. Jobs where they were home every night

when passengers returned, many transportation companies found them selves very short staffed. It takes a while to train and qualify pilots, conductors, etc. Here in West Palm Beach, we see several airline cancels daily. Fort Lauderdale  had 50 cancels last weekend.

• Like 1

Let me know when the airlines cancel 50% of their service due to Covid staffing......that would be a concern, agree?

Amtrak cancelled 50% of Florida trains due to Covid staffing and the train does not depart for two months from now........After receiving billions from taxpayers.   Seems like somebody is not getting their money's worth.  

(I am an advocate for train travel but we have to get real...and Amtrak does not seem to get the message, IMO)

On 1/28/2022 at 9:01 AM, FlaMariner said:

(I am an advocate for train travel but we have to get real...and Amtrak does not seem to get the message, IMO)

As an advocate for train travel, I am sure that you are aware that Amtrak's management in recent years has had much difficulty in "getting the message" about a variety of issues.  Spending the money that was spent on the very nice and well equipped Viewliner II Dining Cars, putting them into service for a short period of time, and then changing the dining concept (and use of) on most of the trains that had those cars.  Just one example of past issues in the Executive Suite.  There is renewed hope that management decisions will be better in the future; and improvements on some routes have already been noticed.  

On 1/28/2022 at 9:01 AM, FlaMariner said:

Let me know when the airlines cancel 50% of their service due to Covid staffing......that would be a concern, agree?

Amtrak cancelled 50% of Florida trains due to Covid staffing and the train does not depart for two months from now........After receiving billions from taxpayers.   Seems like somebody is not getting their money's worth.  

Agreed, I'm just the messenger.

I'm surprised that Congress gave money under both the Trump and Biden administrations without demanding much in the way of Service guarantees

The big money was authorized w/the current administration.....yet now 50% of the Florida trains (not counting Auto Train) are cut.  LOL....Previous years were less taxpayer money and more service.  Does not compute. LOL.

Amtrak will receive $22 billion