wife has covid 60 days out from cruise, is there a chance she will still test positive?

danoconnl

There is small chance.  I tested positive 28 days before my cruise.  I was going back and forth between canceling or not.  I decided to do a home test a week before the cruise, and it was negative.  So, I had a rapid antigen test (not a PCR, which is more sensitive) 48 hours before sailing, and it was negative.  And then I was finally able to relax and enjoy!

Hopefully, your wife will have a similar experience.  

Officially, doctors will say you may test positive up to 90 days but there are so many factors that affect the "real world". If you're fully vaccinated and boosted the viral load will likely have been been less during your sickness so I've seen articles indicate you can test negative within 10-14 days. PCR tests will always be more sensitive than the rapid antigen tests.  We're cruising in two weeks and just went through this with my friend. He got Covid in mid December and was testing negative with the antigen test within 14 days. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, danoconnl said:

Tried looking online for this info because I've heard you can still show up as positive for a while.  Anyone have any experience?

Thanks

Dan

A chance.   Of course.  How low are the odds?   Probably very low, but no one can predict this.   Antigen is much less likely to show positive.   I wouldn’t be worried about it if it was me.  

15 vaccinated DS just had Covid.  Tested positive at first symptom on rapid antigen, was negative on rapid antigen day 7.  I think I’ve heard most people are showing negative on by day 10.  I think it’s highly unlikely she’ll still be testing positive 60 days out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jkaczanowski said:

15 vaccinated DS just had Covid.  Tested positive at first symptom on rapid antigen, was negative on rapid antigen day 7.  I think I’ve heard most people are showing negative on by day 10.  I think it’s highly unlikely she’ll still be testing positive 60 days out.

Agree.  Everybody is different.  My father was close to a ventilator, came out the hospital a few days later and tested negative two days after leaving the hospital.  I would plan on being on that ship.

It's a possibility but unlikely.  I tested positive with PCR test December 24, 2020, had not been vaccinated at that point. Tested negative on PCR test given January 3, 2021 to return to work. At the time my office had a company coming in every two weeks and testing every single employee. I was tested many times and only tested positive that one time. Husband had the same experience, tested negative 10 days after testing positive.  He actually got sick, I was asymptomatic. 

6 minutes ago, danoconnl said:

she is vaccinated and boosted, so hopefully she will start testing negative in about 10 days.

Dan

If she has the Omicron variant most likely a rapid test, where you get results in 15-30 minutes, won't detect it after 7-10 days. A PCR lab test, requiring a 24-48 hour wait period for results, might still pick it up.

If Delta, there's a strong probability any test will be positive 90 days out. Delta still impacts the unvaccinated and those not boosted with vaccines over 9 months old. Omicron doesn't discriminate, but is milder for most people and probably mutating away.

family member tested positive December 27th.  Negative test for one to go back to school on 1/4.  Had J and J.  21 yr old.  BIL tested positive 1/13.  Asthmatic, overweight, 62.  Fully vaccinated and boostered (Pfizer). Tested negative yesterday.  It all depends but you are really far out.

If you guys are stressing about it (I know I would be!!!!), maybe have her start taking the “free” rapid antigen tests every 5-10 days, to see when she flips to negative?  Note, I’m in an area blessed to have several free testing sites near me…. I realize not everyone has that 😞

• Like 1

I’ve been vaccinated and boosted.  No underlining medical issues. Started getting sick 6 days ago. Positive for Covid. Have had a miserable week. Still sick and basically either in bed or laying on sofa. Catching up on Hallmark movies!  Husband negative.  It’s a crazy disease. Shocked I got so sick with vaccines and booster. We’re also concerned about me testing positive long term. I’ll be going for a test in about a week and keep testing until it’s negative. I want to cruise!!

Our youngest vaxed and boosted (Pfizer) went back to college on 1/3 and had Covid within 5 days. He had symptoms of strept throat, tested negative for Covid and strept day one, then positive day 2 . PCR was used both times. He was quit ill but testing negative in PCR and rapid antigen at 11 days from initial swab.

He was afebrile but had a very intense sore throat and headache, mild non-productive cough.

Contact traces to dinner in a restaurant for a friend's birthday. One of the "gang" couldn't make the dinner, came just to drop off a gift and he ended up being the source .