Compass Rose Dining

Huggsy

Not in my experience, however unfortunately there have been tales of money changing hands to obtain the same or window tables but I have never in over 200 nights observed that. It is first come first served. I do believe that you can ask to sit in an area to have the same server.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swansong said:

Not in my experience, however unfortunately there have been tales of money changing hands to obtain the same or window tables but I have never in over 200 nights observed that. It is first come first served. I do believe that you can ask to sit in an area to have the same server.

On our first cruise, having lived in NYC (everyone in NYC tips everyone), the first night I tried to give the Compass Rose maitre d  $50.  He politely  refused, a wonderful man a true credit to his profession.  On our second cruise,  < three years later,  there was a lot of money changing hands in Compass Rose for better tables & service.  We were very surprised and disappointed.

I don't think you can ask for the same table.  We asked for the same side of the restaurant and they accommodated us.  I would bet if you said this is our anniversary we'd like a window table they would give you one.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

Through our butler we have requested specific wait staff for dinner and they always secured a table in that area.  Also again through our butler, we reserved the captains table one or two nights for a large group. 

I feel the need to add to this conversation that I have never seen money changing hands in a Regent dining room and have - almost- always been able to sit in the area (if not a specific table) that I preferred.  It is my experience that the Maitre d' and his team will do whatever they can to fulfil your every wish - within reason (!) and a smile and polite request...which becomes friendly and more personable as the cruise progresses....is key to a great evening.

Please, put your money away.

• Like 3

We always had the same table in Compass Rose for breakfast.  But then, not many people eat breakfast in Compass Rose.  We always entered from the backdoor and just sat down.  Did feel bad one sea day when we realized there was a line at the front door.  But we were halfway through breakfast when we realized it.

We did not have a butler but could reserve the large tables for a large group with the maitre'd.

55 minutes ago, Gilly said:

I feel the need to add to this conversation that I have never seen money changing hands in a Regent dining room and have - almost- always been able to sit in the area (if not a specific table) that I preferred.  It is my experience that the Maitre d' and his team will do whatever they can to fulfil your every wish - within reason (!) and a smile and polite request...which becomes friendly and more personable as the cruise progresses....is key to a great evening.

Please, put your money away.

It is because of this that dinner reservations now have to be made at the Dining Desk and not at the entrance to any restaurant.

11 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

It is because of this that dinner reservations now have to be made at the Dining Desk and not at the entrance to any restaurant.

You can make reservations for Compass Rose at the Dining Desk?  Not just for the specialty restaurants?  What about for Sette Mari?  And to OP's question--could you make a standing reservation in Compass Rose for the same table or time for the entire cruise?

I should have elaborated that the maitre'd on the first cruise told us it was Regents policy not to take tips.  Which we felt was an excellent policy.  I'm not sure if the policy changed by our second cruise, if the policy did change it shouldn't have IMO. 

I totally agree put your money away.  We didn't tip (thinking it was the policy) but if you are in an environment were that's the game you are almost forced to participate.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, loriva said:

You can make reservations for Compass Rose at the Dining Desk?  Not just for the specialty restaurants?  What about for Sette Mari?  And to OP's question--could you make a standing reservation in Compass Rose for the same table or time for the entire cruise?

Sorry - I don't know much about CR - we almost never eat there. I would imagine they would try...their success would depend on a number of factors.

36 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I should have elaborated that the maitre'd on the first cruise told us it was Regents policy not to take tips.  Which we felt was an excellent policy.  I'm not sure if the policy changed by our second cruise, if the policy did change it shouldn't have IMO. 

I totally agree put your money away.  We didn't tip (thinking it was the policy) but if you are in an environment were that's the game you are almost forced to participate.

There is not a policy to not accept tips. The policy is that tipping is not required. Tips are accepted and their are different policies depending on department and amount as to their disposition. This is a contentious topic...I am going to stick to facts and not opinions on this one.

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

There is not a policy to not accept tips. The policy is that tipping is not required. Tips are accepted and their are different policies depending on department and amount as to their disposition. This is a contentious topic...I am going to stick to facts and not opinions on this one.

They did have the no tipping policy in the past (2016) correct?  I specifically remember Regent saying No tipping individuals, if you want to tip give in the a "party fund" at the end of the cruise.

I'm not as politically correct I think tipping is a bad idea.  Wish I knew this if I have to play the game I will.

• Like 1

Back to the topic.

We eat early, have never had a problem getting a nice table by a window.  I only ask for a window table for two.

One cruise we were part of a party for 8 and the butler for the organizer did have a table for 8 arranged for us for dinner.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

They did have the no tipping policy in the past (2016) correct?  I specifically remember Regent saying No tipping individuals, if you want to tip give in the a "party fund" at the end of the cruise.

I'm not as politically correct I think tipping is a bad idea.  Wish I knew this if I have to play the game I will.

I cannot say for certain that it was/was not an official policy in the past as I have accrued all my nights more recently. I know that in 2015 the policy was tipping is not required but not prohibited because I specifically asked. The actual policy is in the FAQ on the website.

SHOULD I TIP ONBOARD

All gratuities are included in your cruise fare except for services from Serene Spa & Wellness."

Donations to the crew fund are not used to help people travel home (although this is a common misconception). These funds are used to pay for the department sponsored parties in the crew bar that rotate by department.

7 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

Back to the topic.

We eat early, have never had a problem getting a nice table by a window.  I only ask for a window table for two.

One cruise we were part of a party for 8 and the butler for the organizer did have a table for 8 arranged for us for dinner.

Its very much on topic.  If you want a specific table IMO find the person who decides table allocation and give them a couple hundred bucks.  Bet you get what you want. 

Oh dear, I seem to have opened a can of worms 😁

Seriously, I appreciate all your comments - on reflection, I realise how useful this site is; you are all a fountain of knowledge and I'm so glad I came on here leading up to my first cruise on Regent.

Thank you 👍

Edited by Huggsy

13 minutes ago, Huggsy said:

Oh dear, I seem to have opened a can of worms 😁

Seriously, I appreciate all your comments - on reflection, I realise how useful this site is; you are all a fountain of knowledge and I'm so glad I came on here leading up to my first cruise on Regent.

Thank you 👍

Last I knew Sette Mari was first come first serve.  Generally you need to be there close to when it opens for dinner (6:30 I think) to be assured of getting a table.  There is another seating around 8 when the first group leaves.  Sette Mari is an excellent alternative, its Italian & non specialty restaurant.  Its full menu w/ service with a buffet it you would like additional appetizers, salad & desserts.  Highly recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps just to put another point to my original post and reassure the OP. We have almost always asked for a table for two on entering Compass Rose and have never, ever, had to wait. Sometimes they sat us at a table for four and removed two places. So not to worry. Yes, as noted, Sete Mari is busy and to guarantee a table turn up at 6:30 or 8:00, not so in Compass Rose.

• Like 2

On our last cruise on Splendor just before everything canceled we requested a table in a certain area of the dining room. We really liked the waiter and told Jorge after dinner 

There after we were always seated in his area

Looking forward to being back on board on February 3 and seeing Jorge and others again!

• Like 2

Over 250 nights on Regent and have never seen money being given to secure a particular table, or anything else for that matter.

we have never had a problem getting the table we want or the section we want.   We do tend to dine early.

• Like 1

We have been sailing on Regent for years.
Our last sailing was December 2021. We were with my son and daughter-in-law. Our last nights dinner was in Compass Rose. We normally do not sit near the reception desk but our kids were already seated when we got there. 
We were shocked, watching so many guests tipping…… won’t mention who was being tipped. My kids asked me…. I thought you said tipping is included…

sheila

• Like 1

I would like to think that the recent tipping mentioned was more about trying to help crew members after a very difficult year when no one was working and their governments were not nearly as generous as the US government. I know on my first cruise back in September 2021 , I provided overly generous gratuities to several crew members who provided excellent service and never complained about what hardships they and their families had been thru during the past year and a half. I don’t consider the very temporary change in my tipping pattern on Regent to be permanent nor do I apologize for showing compassion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

I would like to think that the recent tipping mentioned was more about trying to help crew members after a very difficult year when no one was working and their governments were not nearly as generous as the US government. I know on my first cruise back in September 2021 , I provided overly generous gratuities to several crew members who provided excellent service and never complained about what hardships they and their families had been thru during the past year and a half. I don’t consider the very temporary change in my tipping pattern on Regent to be permanent nor do I apologize for showing compassion.

My cruise was in 2019.  IMO Regent should set up and advertise a fund to add extra compensation to the employees and equally distribute it.   Maybe they could also make it so people could donate their OBC.  I would donate generously to a fund of this nature. 

Arbitrarily handing out cash to employees is a very slippery slope and someone being opposed to it shouldn't be misconstrued as the person not having compassion.

• Like 2