Half Moon Cay drink package?

craig01020

1 hour ago, mcgore83 said:

I wish that Carnival would fix the glitch of not being able to use Cheers on HMC.  If Royal can offer the drink package on Coco Cay and Labadee, I cannot understand why it cannot happen on HMC.

The company has to have the system/means to do it but they choose not to.  Princess drink package works on Princess Cay but if you stop there on a Carnival Ship the drink package doesn't work there.  Makes no sense with it being the same parent company and everything.

Does HAL drink package work on HMC?

Edited to add: Google says HAL offers a HMC day drink package for like $30 but I know Carnival doesn't offer that.

Edited by cmp03
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

Thanks everyone!  I guess this info from Cruise Critic is outdated:

"A drink package is offered for Half Moon Cay, including up to 15 drinks per person, for $25. (If you have a drink package onboard your ship, it does not extend to the island.)"

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3145

HAL offers a drink package for HMC since it is HALs island

1 hour ago, mcgore83 said:

I wish that Carnival would fix the glitch of not being able to use Cheers on HMC.  If Royal can offer the drink package on Coco Cay and Labadee, I cannot understand why it cannot happen on HMC.

Carnival borrows HMC from Holland America, so it isn't the same as Royal where they own it.  Yes they may be the same parent company, but you can't use the same coupons at Pizza Hut as you can KFC.

• Like 1

Not to argue at all. But if you use your sign and sail card to purchase drinks on the island why can't Carnival adjust the number of drinks you purchase on HMC?  I could understand if you had to present cash or a credit card for purchase.  No worries. I still purchase drinks at HMC, I just don't understand. I agree with the previous poster.  They choose not to.

On 1/23/2022 at 2:46 PM, mcgore83 said:

Not to argue at all. But if you use your sign and sail card to purchase drinks on the island why can't Carnival adjust the number of drinks you purchase on HMC?  I could understand if you had to present cash or a credit card for purchase.  No worries. I still purchase drinks at HMC, I just don't understand. I agree with the previous poster.  They choose not to.

Because Carnival will not install the electronic hardware for instantaneous billing.  Everything is written by hand and someone could easily order over 15 drinks on HMC, thus exceeding the Cheers limit.  Since HAL owns the island Carnival has an additional money grab from those who already paid for Cheers and then buys more on HMC.

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Because Carnival will not install the electronic hardware for instantaneous billing.  Everything is written by hand and someone could easily order over 15 drinks on HMC, thus exceeding the Cheers limit.  Since HAL owns the island Carnival has an additional money grab from those who already paid for Cheers and then buys more on HMC.

Last time I was there, they had electronic kiosks at all the bars where they'd run your sail and sign card. They brought them over from the ship and they were used to do all the purchases instantly. It's not a logistical issue, it's a money issue; it'd cost them too much to let people drink for for. 

The most annoying part about it is that I was onboard the tender with all the bartenders and drinks going to HMC. They just brought it over from the ship and brought the leftovers back when the day was over. Makes it much harder to justify that it's not included. 

On 1/23/2022 at 1:28 PM, cmp03 said:

The company has to have the system/means to do it but they choose not to.  Princess drink package works on Princess Cay but if you stop there on a Carnival Ship the drink package doesn't work there.  Makes no sense with it being the same parent company and everything.

Does HAL drink package work on HMC?

Edited to add: Google says HAL offers a HMC day drink package for like $30 but I know Carnival doesn't offer that.

It did not for us when we took a Holland ship there however what they did offer and we loved was if you bought one of the Cabana's you had the option for your lunch to be served to you from the steak house on board the ship.  They brought us a menu prior to our day on HMC to choose our meal it was fantastic

53 minutes ago, ray985 said:

Last time I was there, they had electronic kiosks at all the bars where they'd run your sail and sign card. They brought them over from the ship and they were used to do all the purchases instantly. It's not a logistical issue, it's a money issue; it'd cost them too much to let people drink for for. 

The most annoying part about it is that I was onboard the tender with all the bartenders and drinks going to HMC. They just brought it over from the ship and brought the leftovers back when the day was over. Makes it much harder to justify that it's not included. 

Because while there are POS terminals brought over from the ship to the island to process transactions, and those POS terminals are likely pre-loaded with customer data to associate S&S cards with the user (like viewing age, photo, etc), they are not connected to the ship's accounting system (S&S accounts). So while the POS terminals can process transactions, it's not "live" updated to accounting/S&S cards. Those transactions are "downloaded" from the terminals at the end of the stay and then posted to the S&S account later in the evening. This is similar to the process for paper receipts the beach bartenders still issue. I've had HMC bar charges hit the S&S 1-2 days after the visit. Because of that, it's difficult to determine beverage count towards the CHEERS! limit.

To have transactions post instantly from HMC to the ship requires some sort of data connection, either hard line (telephone/ethernet), or transmit wireless. Wireless probably isn't the most secure option.

• 10 months later...
On 1/23/2022 at 1:48 PM, vwrestler171 said:

HAL offers a drink package for HMC since it is HALs island

Carnival borrows HMC from Holland America, so it isn't the same as Royal where they own it.  Yes they may be the same parent company, but you can't use the same coupons at Pizza Hut as you can KFC.

Carnival owns Holland America. They dont borrow the island from them. 

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:37 AM, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

Carnival owns Holland America. They dont borrow the island from them. 

You're not quite correct.  Carnival CORP owns HAL, not Carnival Cruise Line.  Its like saying Taco Bell owns KFC.  Same parent, but different company.

• Like 1