Royal Genie Regrets

21 minutes ago, CruisinSinceIwasBorn said:

That could be a regret from some people, so I think it's fair question!

The general rule of thumb seems to be about $500 - $700 for a week long cruise. This is what we plan to do (2 adults, 3 children). If service is excellent, the high end, if it's just schedule support and room service ordering, probably the lower end. 

I think you are in a reasonable range.  Just keep in mind that most of there job is scheduling for you and setting up your room services (food, drink, etc.)   So setting up your shows, meeting you and seating you, etc.  

I don’t yet know if they do less now with Covid, but much of the what they do is scheduling for you to make your trip easy.  Ex.  We (wife and I) changed our mind on our chosen restaurant about 30 mins prior and wanted it 30 mins later.  I called the genie to ask if that was possible and if I could get a lobster too even though it wasn’t on the restaurant menu we were trying to switch to that night.  The response was instant.  She simply said “done” and asked if I needed anything else?   But again, the great thing was how easy it was to make a change (scheduling).  That was the only curve ball we threw at her all week as I recall, but I wouldn’t tip less just because we didn’t throw many curveballs.  A lot of what they do is before the cruise too (setting up your scheduling).  

One other thing.  Think of what beverages you always want in the cabin.  Apple Juice for the kids?   Waters are standard, but soda?   Particular kinds of beers?   Make sure to request specifically what you want.  I asked for two specific beers and there was never a shortage of either all week and they were there before we ever got to our cabin on day 1.  It is great for an evening on the balcony after the kiddos are asleep.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, topnole said:

I think you are in a reasonable range.  Just keep in mind that most of there job is scheduling for you and setting up your room services (food, drink, etc.)   So setting up your shows, meeting you and seating you, etc.  

I don’t yet know if they do less now with Covid, but much of the what they do is scheduling for you to make your trip easy.  Ex.  We (wife and I) changed our mind on our chosen restaurant about 30 mins prior and wanted it 30 mins later.  I called the genie to ask if that was possible and if I could get a lobster too even though it wasn’t on the restaurant menu we were trying to switch to that night.  The response was instant.  She simply said “done” and asked if I needed anything else?   But again, the great thing was how easy it was to make a change (scheduling).  That was the only curve ball we threw at her all week as I recall, but I wouldn’t tip less just because we didn’t throw many curveballs.  A lot of what they do is before the cruise too (setting up your scheduling).  

One other thing.  Think of what beverages you always want in the cabin.  Apple Juice for the kids?   Waters are standard, but soda?   Particular kinds of beers?   Make sure to request specifically what you want.  I asked for two specific beers and there was never a shortage of either all week and they were there before we ever got to our cabin on day 1.  It is great for an evening on the balcony after the kiddos are asleep.  

Great advice! Yes, we requested our two favorite beers and plenty of Diet Coke and Seltzer. I didn't mean to diminish the importance of scheduling, which is why I didn't say no tip if that's just it. Simply stating, that of course warrants appreciation, but will determine if higher end if the extra "wow" is included.

In terms of COVID, yes, based on his responses, there are definitely quite a few changes. He has indicated he can't come in the room when we are there. Room service will just be dropped at our door on a trolley rather than placed on the dining table. We then place it back on the trolley and call to get it picked up. We also requested a movie night with ice cream and popcorn. He responded he can provide ice cream, but we have to go to the store and purchase popcorn as they don't have popcorn stands anymore due to COVID.  

1 hour ago, CruisinSinceIwasBorn said:

One thing our Genie wrote back to us tonight is that you need to book the Hibachi on your own as it's often full and they won't (and shouldn't) bump people. They will reimburse the cost when you get on board. You also need to book any spa appointments on your own. 

"I recommend booking this online due to limited availability on board. Hibachi is a vaccinated only venue and seats a total of 8 guests, so you could have other guests joining you at Hibachi."

But will they make this reservation if you do ahead of sailing and not wait until you are on the ship?

1 hour ago, CruisinSinceIwasBorn said:

Great advice! Yes, we requested our two favorite beers and plenty of Diet Coke and Seltzer. I didn't mean to diminish the importance of scheduling, which is why I didn't say no tip if that's just it. Simply stating, that of course warrants appreciation, but will determine if higher end if the extra "wow" is included.

In terms of COVID, yes, based on his responses, there are definitely quite a few changes. He has indicated he can't come in the room when we are there. Room service will just be dropped at our door on a trolley rather than placed on the dining table. We then place it back on the trolley and call to get it picked up. We also requested a movie night with ice cream and popcorn. He responded he can provide ice cream, but we have to go to the store and purchase popcorn as they don't have popcorn stands anymore due to COVID.  

Sounds like some Covid changes for sure.  Keep in mind too that each ship is different and you may get different answers depends on the genie or ship.  I know things varied a bit from the couple ships we were star class on and of course now with Covid things may vary even more.  Such are the times we live in.  

Are you in an aqua theater suite?  If so, you many want to enjoy an aqua show from your balcony and then you would want to consider the show times on that (and maybe order dinner before or snacks during - milkshakes, etc.). I’m sure the kids would love that and then easy to wind them down for bed after because you are 20 feet from your rooms.  All of your kids will love the aqua shows.   When my daughter was 2 she was in awe of it all.  Of course the older two will appreciate it even more.  We are just a few months away from our trip and now I’m getting even more excited.  Note: your kids low level expectations will soon be ruined and they will never accept a regular cabin again!  😂.  You just spent way more than this trip!!   Just kidding. 

10 hours ago, CruisinSinceIwasBorn said:

"I recommend booking this online due to limited availability on board. Hibachi is a vaccinated only venue and seats a total of 8 guests, so you could have other guests joining you at Hibachi."

We were told the same thing. This was the first time we were asked to make the booking ourselves for hibachi. However we had requested a 7pm dining time and the only online hibachi availability was the 5pm and 8pm hours. The Genie had sent us a tentative schedule to review with 7pm for hibachi. We never saw any way to schedule 7pm in the Cruise Planner so we didn't bother to do it online. We ended up dining at 7pm every night, including hibachi so I'm not sure if they held back the 7pm hour for people booking onboard or what was going on.

We also had our meals all brought into the room and the Genie came in the room as well on both times we have done Star Class since the restart, both different ships. We were told the rules that it wasn't allowed ahead of time so we were surprised when it happened.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, topnole said:

Sounds like some Covid changes for sure.  Keep in mind too that each ship is different and you may get different answers depends on the genie or ship.  I know things varied a bit from the couple ships we were star class on and of course now with Covid things may vary even more.  Such are the times we live in.  

Are you in an aqua theater suite?  If so, you many want to enjoy an aqua show from your balcony and then you would want to consider the show times on that (and maybe order dinner before or snacks during - milkshakes, etc.). I’m sure the kids would love that and then easy to wind them down for bed after because you are 20 feet from your rooms.  All of your kids will love the aqua shows.   When my daughter was 2 she was in awe of it all.  Of course the older two will appreciate it even more.  We are just a few months away from our trip and now I’m getting even more excited.  Note: your kids low level expectations will soon be ruined and they will never accept a regular cabin again!  😂.  You just spent way more than this trip!!   Just kidding. 

That is great advice on the milkshakes. I completely forgot about those at JR.

We are in the Royal Loft Suite for this cruise. We thought the location would work better for us than the AQS, and also, thought that having the hot tub on the balcony would be a nice treat for a respite from the pool.

Definitely agree with the 80s aqua show. Our kids loved it when we sailed OA in 2020 (week before shutdown...) We asked our genie to prioritize that show, and maybe even go twice!

Thanks everyone for the great tips!

17 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

We were told the same thing. This was the first time we were asked to make the booking ourselves for hibachi. However we had requested a 7pm dining time and the only online hibachi availability was the 5pm and 8pm hours. The Genie had sent us a tentative schedule to review with 7pm for hibachi. We never saw any way to schedule 7pm in the Cruise Planner so we didn't bother to do it online. We ended up dining at 7pm every night, including hibachi so I'm not sure if they held back the 7pm hour for people booking onboard or what was going on.

We also had our meals all brought into the room and the Genie came in the room as well on both times we have done Star Class since the restart, both different ships. We were told the rules that it wasn't allowed ahead of time so we were surprised when it happened.

Glad to hear that. It seems like some of the information in the welcome letter from the Genie was copy and paste RCL protocols. I hope it isn't as strict as they state in there.

• Like 2

Are they providing the "Behind the Scenes" tours for star class? Or have they tabled those because of Covid?

One other question, the website says Chef's Table is included as a Star perk.  If it is, do we need to book that online and then get reimbursed, or can our Genie make that reservation for us as well?

1 hour ago, screwsmcernst said:

Are they providing the "Behind the Scenes" tours for star class? Or have they tabled those because of Covid?

One other question, the website says Chef's Table is included as a Star perk.  If it is, do we need to book that online and then get reimbursed, or can our Genie make that reservation for us as well?

No behind the scenes tours for anyone right now.  If there are any alternative tours being offered, SC would be invited to participate.

Do not reserve or purchase anything (exception is cabana at Coco Cay) ahead of time.  The Genie can arrange Chefs Table for you.  There is a $25 PP charge for CT, even for SC. It is a wine upcharge.  No other costs.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 7:30 AM, CruisinSinceIwasBorn said:

That is great advice on the milkshakes. I completely forgot about those at JR.

We are in the Royal Loft Suite for this cruise. We thought the location would work better for us than the AQS, and also, thought that having the hot tub on the balcony would be a nice treat for a respite from the pool.

Definitely agree with the 80s aqua show. Our kids loved it when we sailed OA in 2020 (week before shutdown...) We asked our genie to prioritize that show, and maybe even go twice!

Thanks everyone for the great tips!

Don't forget Starbucks is included but not the food items.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:58 PM, CRUIS4ME said:

We have sailed on Oasis class ships in balcony rooms and now it appears I have to broaden my horizons….what is Star Class and who is this Genie?  

Look up the suite class perks on the RCI site. 

Thanks for starting the thread.  We're sailing in Star Class for the first time on March 6th (oasis) with our young kids (9, 9, 4) and I've enjoyed following along on this thread.  Looking forward to a much needed vacation!

The Chef's Table $25 for Star Class does not include under 21.  Our Granddaughter goes but is underage so there is no extra charge.  On Anthem over Thanksgiving our genie would not enter the room.  The room steward did not at first but as the cruise progressed he would step in and talk to us, which he said he should not do.  Other than that it seemed to be pretty much as before covid.  Looking forward to seeing how Symphony will be in March.