recommendations on lodging, April in Venice Italy

AlexCherie

We stayed a few nights after our transatlantic in 2019 at Ca Maria Adele in the mini palace. I would stay there again in a heartbeat! It was absolutely wonderful, and the staff was beyond amazing. One of the best luxury boutique hotels I've stayed at.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

They had to walk and carry luggage to Piazza Roma where they could get a taxi or shuttle bus to the ship

If you're already at Piazza Roma it's an easy walk to the people mover that takes you right over to the port. As long as you're ok walking  a bit while pulling luggage. We had no trouble with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Piazza Roma is convenient.  From there you can find land taxi, people mover,  vaparettos, water taxis, and ship shuttles.  Oceania had a shuttle from Piazza Roma to the dock.  Now that ships are docking out of the Venice area, the choices may be different.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ORV said:

If you're already at Piazza Roma it's an easy walk to the people mover that takes you right over to the port. As long as you're ok walking  a bit while pulling luggage. We had no trouble with it. 

14 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Piazza Roma is convenient.  From there you can find land taxi, people mover,  vaparettos, water taxis, and ship shuttles.  Oceania had a shuttle from Piazza Roma to the dock.  Now that ships are docking out of the Venice area, the choices may be different.  

Yes, after thinking about it anyone should probably disregard what I said about the people mover unless they're on a small ship or the policies there change. But, as has been mentioned, Roma Piazza is your terminus for pretty much everything. 

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Yes, after thinking about it anyone should probably disregard what I said about the people mover unless they're on a small ship or the policies there change. But, as has been mentioned, Roma Piazza is your terminus for pretty much everything. 

Food for thought.......  When I went  by  train,  I got off at the station just before  Roma Piaz.   There were a ton of cabs that took you direct to the pier.... fast cheap    In the future  with the new port y the west,,    This station might also be the choice to cab to anywhere east west north  etc..      I came from Milan one time and  Rome another..     

Too, with the new port, the private hotel launch to the Venice hotel  from the airport   might not be the  way to go....  maybe a cab from the airport direct as better........

.Just a thought looking forward is do you want to stay overnight in Venice with a complicated connection getting out of "downtown" Venice to the ship when done staying in Venice !

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Food for thought.......  When I went  by  train,  I got off at the station just before  Roma Piaz.   There were a ton of cabs that took you direct to the pier.... fast cheap    In the future  with the new port y the west,,    This station might also be the choice to cab to anywhere east west north  etc..      I came from Milan one time and  Rome another..     

That would be the Mestre stop. You are correct, it's very convenient to go either into Venice from there or down to Marghera  where cruise ships will soon dock.

Edited by Aloha 1
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 4:27 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Hotel Regina.....   cost a bit more  but on the grand canal.   Offers private launch between airport and hotel...   I think part of the Marriott Bonvoy family  so you can use points  ( or earn them   never spend $1 that you do not get $1.25 back)   Its a super class act and location-location-location   

In Rome for economy  The Park Marriott  near the airport..... or for the best  Hotel Carivali...  on the hill... has a mich*** restaurant on the roof ( la Pergola) and a view to die for............ciao

Hi Dan,  we have also stayed at the Regina a few times, it is spectacular.  It was closed for a bit over a year for a total refurbish and is now the St Regis Venice, still with the Regina name.  We are staying there 4 days pre cruise in May.  Hope it’s not a hassle getting to Mestre.  We plan to just take the train as opposed to the “O Bus”

We also stayed one night post cruise at the AC on Piazza Roma.  It’s great for taking a taxi to the airport, or the train, or the people mover, but now that the port is not accepting most ships, it kind of loses some of its appeal.

Where did you all get the info on the Marghera port opening in 2023???  That is fantastic news and I’d like to read about it.  There is a train stop at the port in Mestre so it will be a breeze into Venice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Where did you all get the info on the Marghera port opening in 2023???  That is fantastic news and I’d like to read about it.  There is a train stop at the port in Mestre so it will be a breeze into Venice.

If you check the Cruisemapper website and look at the planned dockings at Marghera, you will see Riviera and Nautica listed for THIS July. My cruise is in July so I didn't check any earlier months.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Hi Dan,  we have also stayed at the Regina a few times, it is spectacular.  It was closed for a bit over a year for a total refurbish and is now the St Regis Venice, still with the Regina name.  We are staying there 4 days pre cruise in May.  Hope it’s not a hassle getting to Mestre.  We plan to just take the train as opposed to the “O Bus”

We also stayed one night post cruise at the AC on Piazza Roma.  It’s great for taking a taxi to the airport, or the train, or the people mover, but now that the port is not accepting most ships, it kind of loses some of its appeal.

Ya...  The Regina was cool   However,  do not laugh,   I stay pre cruise in Zurich with friends..  Take the train via the super scenic  Brenner Pas/ San Moritz into Milan and then Venice to Mestre and then direct to ship via taxi    I am" Veniced" out  and don't ' speak Italian   ( German, swiss german and French yes)   

245.JPG

Thanks for the idea! I always wanted to take that train.  We did a couple of land trips to Italy in July and Sept prior to O’s resumption.  We took the train from Milan to Zermatt.  Beautiful!  Up Lake Maggiore then into the Alps.  Venice was also fabulous in July, very quiet and the Venetians were so happy to have customers.  It will probably never be that way again in my lifetime.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:20 AM, Aloha 1 said:

If you check the Cruisemapper website and look at the planned dockings at Marghera, you will see Riviera and Nautica listed for THIS July. My cruise is in July so I didn't check any earlier months.

Hi Aloha, thanks for the info.  Fantastic news.  I looked at cruise mapper and Riveria is there May 7 when we embark.  I’m going to have my 87 year old mom and my 35 yr old daughter who is blind, so the extra trip to Trieste was going to be challenging. My Brother, who was my absolute best friend growing up, has lived in Kailua for 30 years.  Every time I read your name, it reminds me of him and makes me smile!  Thanks for that!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Thanks for the idea! I always wanted to take that train.  We did a couple of land trips to Italy in July and Sept prior to O’s resumption.  We took the train from Milan to Zermatt.  Beautiful!  Up Lake Maggiore then into the Alps.  Venice was also fabulous in July, very quiet and the Venetians were so happy to have customers.  It will probably never be that way again in my lifetime.

The Train  from Zurich. is  an all day adventure  leave 0630 arrive 6;30 in Venice change Milan..... If your going to be in Italy  for much of the week....why not broaden the value of your vacation trip.  Switzerland is a delight  and probably the safest airport in  the world.....  If 40 yr visiting Switzerland  I have learned   you dont mess with the Swiss.....  Heidi has a Glock taped to her ankle........ peace---love or eat cold steel.      A quality more are appreciating today.    

If your ship overnights  it is the perfect time to board...   our luggage beat us to the room.

• Like 1