recommendations on lodging, April in Venice Italy

AlexCherie

So many worldly travelers here, and a good select group to ask for recommendations.

We are sailing out of Venice Italy on April 14th, 2023 for B2B roundtrip that ends in Rome and I'm going to start looking at lodgings. Probably two nights stay before the ship sails. 

Love ABNB, love places of character, want to start this European exploration on the right foot. Where have you stayed and can't wait to return?

(can't believe the deal on an interior room. Including all fees and gratuities, $9500 for both of us for 20 days at sea on O-life. Feel like I'm stealing!)

Edited by AlexCherie
clarity

Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo, San Polo quarter of Venice, a small hotel which is a short flat walk from the San Stae vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal. Also short walk to good restaurants. Great location, lovely outdoor garden for breakfast in nice weather, rooms overlooking a side canal, friendly helpful owners. Always highly ranked on sister website TripAdvisor. I have stayed here twice and prefer it to all the larger hotels we have tried. Books up fast. 

Check it out on TripAdvisor.

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, zoncom said:

I thought Port of Venice was closed to cruise ships. Lines are using Trieste and another one. Check it out ASAP.

By 2023, the new cruise dock at Maghera will be open just outside Venice. About a 15 minute cab from Venice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo, San Polo, a small hotel which is a short flat walk from the San Stae vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal. Also short walk to god restaurants. Great location, lovely outdoor garden for breakfast in nice weather, rooms overlooking a side canal, friendly helpful owners. Always highly ranked on sister website TripAdvisor. I have stayed here twice and prefer it to all the larger hotels we have tried. Books up fast. 

Great recommendation - but booked already I'm afraid.

Beautiful place though.

Just now, AlexCherie said:

Beautiful place though.

For 2023? Sometimes European hotels do not permit booking more than a year in advance. Any chance of that being the case?? 🙏

10 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

For 2023? Sometimes European hotels do not permit booking more than a year in advance. Any chance of that being the case?? 🙏

Yes  - it very well could be. When I failed, I tried another hotel in the same area and could not book (Hotel Al Codega), but it gave me a different error message. 

I'll look into it in April, for sure! Lovely look. 

10 minutes ago, boerneDQ said:

We stayed in the Hotel Antiche Figueroa (so).  Right on the Grand Canal across from the train station and loved it!

These all seem like wonderful hotels. Forget the cruise, I'll stay in town! Thank you.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

Beautiful place though.

Try again in a few months or send them an email.  I love that hotel.  This hotel is very easy to reach on the number one vaporetto…just very short walk with no bridges to cross. Also love the American hotel in the Dorsoduro area and the Pesaro Palace right at the Ça Oro vapotetto stop. We prefer the outer areas of Venice instead of the very crowded areas around St Marco. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo, San Polo quarter of Venice, a small hotel which is a short flat walk from the San Stae vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal. Also short walk to good restaurants. Great location, lovely outdoor garden for breakfast in nice weather, rooms overlooking a side canal, friendly helpful owners. Always highly ranked on sister website TripAdvisor. I have stayed here twice and prefer it to all the larger hotels we have tried. Books up fast. 

Check it out on TripAdvisor.

Everything CintiPam said.  We just stayed there for a few days in November 2021.  Our 4th stay there, and just as wonderful as the other three.  Walter and Sandro are hands-on, on-site owners of this hotel, and I think that makes a difference.  Sandro's wife is also a licensed guide, and gives wonderful walking tours.  BIG extra bonus?  The Aliguna (spelling) boat from the airport stops at San Stae - then you and your luggage are maybe 50 meters to the hotel, and no bridges.  Lots of restaurants around, included a well-regarded Osteria that has true Venetian food (Sardine en saur, squid ink pasta, etc).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexCherie said:

Beautiful place though.

probably not

The hotels do not show booking online more than 1 yr away

you would need to contact them directly & be sure they note it is 2023  you want or they may bill you for 2022 no show 

when the date passes 😉

Had that happen & had to fight to get my refund

3 hours ago, AlexCherie said:

So many worldly travelers here, and a good select group to ask for recommendations.

We are sailing out of Venice Italy on April 14th, 2023 for B2B roundtrip that ends in Rome and I'm going to start looking at lodgings. Probably two nights stay before the ship sails. 

Love ABNB, love places of character, want to start this European exploration on the right foot. Where have you stayed and can't wait to return?

(can't believe the deal on an interior room. Including all fees and gratuities, $9500 for both of us for 20 days at sea on O-life. Feel like I'm stealing!)

Hotel Regina.....   cost a bit more  but on the grand canal.   Offers private launch between airport and hotel...   I think part of the Marriott Bonvoy family  so you can use points  ( or earn them   never spend $1 that you do not get $1.25 back)   Its a super class act and location-location-location   

In Rome for economy  The Park Marriott  near the airport..... or for the best  Hotel Carivali...  on the hill... has a mich*** restaurant on the roof ( la Pergola) and a view to die for............ciao

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AlexCherie said:

Have you been to Venice before? Which ship is this on? 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Have you been to Venice before? Which ship is this on? 

1st time to Venice! On the bucket list, so we’re juiced. 

On the Riviera, same one we just sailed. Two, 10 day cruises that starts in Venice, moves down the Adriatic to Greece and out to Barcelona. Comes back to Rome after that, with lots of Spain and France. 

Since we’ll have to pay for … like 14 different excursions … we can’t afford an extended stay in Venice. Two days will have to do.

1 hour ago, AlexCherie said:

1st time to Venice! On the bucket list, so we’re juiced. 

On the Riviera, same one we just sailed. Two, 10 day cruises that starts in Venice, moves down the Adriatic to Greece and out to Barcelona. Comes back to Rome after that, with lots of Spain and France. 

Since we’ll have to pay for … like 14 different excursions … we can’t afford an extended stay in Venice. Two days will have to do.

That sounds like a fantastic itinerary. Lots to know about Venice. Spend some time at the Ports of Call section to pick up a lot of tips. We've been twice and loved it. Before you book a hotel make sure you understand the logistics of getting there from the airport and to the ship. Water buses(Vaporettos) are a great and economical way to get around, although they can be crowded. 

• Like 1

We stayed 3 nights prior to our cruise 11/18 at Gritti Palace on Marriott points. I’ve never felt so spoiled-got upgraded to a 3 room suite filled with antiques & windows overlooking Grand Canal. I think they took pity on us since luggage didn’t make it until next day!

It’s worth springing for private boat transfer from airport. That was on my bucket list & we ended up getting a tour of Venice canals on the way to hotel.

You’ll love Venice & your cruise.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Vertygo said:

We stayed 3 nights prior to our cruise 11/18 at Gritti Palace on Marriott points. I’ve never felt so spoiled-got upgraded to a 3 room suite filled with antiques & windows overlooking Grand Canal. I think they took pity on us since luggage didn’t make it until next day!

It’s worth springing for private boat transfer from airport. That was on my bucket list & we ended up getting a tour of Venice canals on the way to hotel.

You’ll love Venice & your cruise.

While people tout Air miles ..  Do not forget   Hotel points..    Marriott being the largest group in the world ( sheraton,-westin,Ritz Carlton, Renaissance)     Best beds too and comp up grades.  I only have- 2 cc:....UAL and Marriott Business .     Both are travel "weapons" it concentrate  everything on

15338766_1737033829947838_1617702137729648833_n.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 2

We've been lucky to visit Venice twice and the last time was post-cruise onboard the Riviera; we stayed two nights at the Hotel Londra Palace for its location (https://www.londrapalace.com). It's a boutique hotel that faces the lagoon and easy walking distance to St. Mark's Square and Basilica, Bridge of Sighs, Doges Palace etc.  Beautiful large room and bathroom with excellent service.  We had delicious breakfasts each day and a dinner in their restaurant; their outdoor patio restaurant is a great spot to enjoy a glass of wine watching the lagoon/street traffic.  We would stroll in the evening to St. Mark's Square as there was an outdoor orchestra in front of a restaurant in St. Mark's Square each evening where you could sit and enjoy the music under the stars with your beverage choice (magical). Water taxi (Vaporetto) is at your doorstep. We arranged a water transfer to airport with Igor at Tour Leader Venice (https://www.tourleadervenice.com) - highly recommend Igor and easiest way to the airport. Enjoy!

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 8:13 PM, ORV said:

That sounds like a fantastic itinerary. Lots to know about Venice. Spend some time at the Ports of Call section to pick up a lot of tips. We've been twice and loved it. Before you book a hotel make sure you understand the logistics of getting there from the airport and to the ship. Water buses(Vaporettos) are a great and economical way to get around, although they can be crowded. 

This is great advice - thank you ORV.

15 hours ago, Acrusa said:

If you're looking for old world charm and elegant atmosphere. It has to be the Hotel Danieli.With a room overlooking the Grand Canal 

In a movie, yes? "The Tourist", Johnny Depp and Angela Jolie. 

These are such amazing choices!!

14 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

We've been lucky to visit Venice twice and the last time was post-cruise onboard the Riviera; we stayed two nights at the Hotel Londra Palace for its location (https://www.londrapalace.com). It's a boutique hotel that faces the lagoon and easy walking distance to St. Mark's Square and Basilica, Bridge of Sighs, Doges Palace etc.  Beautiful large room and bathroom with excellent service.  We had delicious breakfasts each day and a dinner in their restaurant; their outdoor patio restaurant is a great spot to enjoy a glass of wine watching the lagoon/street traffic.  We would stroll in the evening to St. Mark's Square as there was an outdoor orchestra in front of a restaurant in St. Mark's Square each evening where you could sit and enjoy the music under the stars with your beverage choice (magical). Water taxi (Vaporetto) is at your doorstep. We arranged a water transfer to airport with Igor at Tour Leader Venice (https://www.tourleadervenice.com) - highly recommend Igor and easiest way to the airport. Enjoy!

Wow  -  what a comment. 

While the itinerary and the ship drive the choice, all of your descriptions paint a wonderful picture that contrasts terrifically with a poor reputation for a touristy city. 

Starting a trip in a dream - it's the counterpoint to finishing a wonderful dinner with the perfect cup of coffee or elegant, right sized dessert. These hotel choices set up Oceania well.

Hotel Canal Grande. We took a water taxi there from the airport which was fun. Good location near the train station. Used to be able to walk to the port from there. Lovely hotel right on the Grand Canal. Make sure to use the Vaporetto (water bus) to get around. Real neat public transit and you can buy a day pass.

• Thanks 1

Stayed at AC hotel Venezia in piazza Roma area.  Nice hotel.  Took a land taxi transfer from airport to hotel. You can also take the airport bus. No real need to take a water taxi.  Taxi let us off in front of the hotel.   While we were there, we walked or took vaperettos.   Vaparetto stops are very close to hotel.  There are many good restaurants, bars, and shops close.  We also experienced a vaparetto and water taxi strike one day.  People who were staying further up the canal had real problems getting to the ship. They had to walk and carry luggage to Piazza Roma where they could get a taxi or shuttle bus to the ship.  Venice often has strikes.  It was a mess. 

• Thanks 1