Cabin TV connections - means of streaming the winter Olympics

schmenge

14 hours ago, philv said:

None of this will help me with my ipad or iPhones. I wish Princess would relent and offer as part of their programming. Oh well.

Have you looked on Amazon for Lightning to HDMI adaptors?

I have not purchased this (yet) but looks like it will connect the two. Does apple software work with it is the question but you can check at home and return if it doesn't.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Certified-Compatible-Connector-Projector-NO/dp/B093T312D5/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1NHWHHCWV0YDB&keywords=lightning+to+hdmi&qid=1643640865&sprefix=lightning%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-6

image.thumb.png.dc69e95a72fba4ed667e34600c1fd937.png

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:02 AM, MissP22 said:

Yes you can just plug in an HDMI cable without pulling the TV out from the mount but it's difficult to reach for someone with large hands. Hence the need for needle nose pliers.  They've got wall mounts that are very stiff to dislodge and my husband has only used that approach one time. 

Once the HDMI cable is in place and the TV switched to that input you can feed it with anything that has an HDMI output. Leave the HDMI cable in place for the entire trip coiled up behind the TV & remove your player (phone, Roku, WD-TV, DVD player) when not being used. 

Note: My Roku device has the capability to plug in headphones into it's remote. The Princess TV's don't provide a headphone jack.

I'm not sure about the Enchanted but I'm guessing it's the same setup as all the other ships. 

Don't forget an extension cord to reach the AC outlet on the desk or wall.

So, a Roku would work on the high seas?

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

Have you looked on Amazon for Lightning to HDMI adaptors?

I have not purchased this (yet) but looks like it will connect the two. Does apple software work with it is the question but you can check at home and return if it doesn't.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Certified-Compatible-Connector-Projector-NO/dp/B093T312D5/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1NHWHHCWV0YDB&keywords=lightning+to+hdmi&qid=1643640865&sprefix=lightning%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-6

image.thumb.png.dc69e95a72fba4ed667e34600c1fd937.png

After reading reviews it looks like you need to pony up and purchase a true Apple brand converter (which of course is 3x the price of foreign made stuff). Here is a link and most all reviews are positive:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Digital-AV-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=psdc_3015395011_t2_B093T312D5

image.thumb.png.df4f1f7d03beec5215d1c18a55b5754c.png

This is great news! I looked at the link and it did show Olympic events but does Princess have this sport24live channel?

I really don't want to be messing around with cabin tv and would much rather watch on regular programming. 

1 hour ago, philv said:

This is great news! I looked at the link and it did show Olympic events but does Princess have this sport24live channel?

I really don't want to be messing around with cabin tv and would much rather watch on regular programming. 

Princess has very very very limited live programing on their TV’s which is surprising in this day and age…… I would not bet on seeing major Winter Olympic events on Princess…..

• Like 1

Well, this thread really took off on me. I have a good news, bad news update. I purchased the apple-brand converter like shown by AZJohn above. That allowed me to view both my iphone and ipad to the hdmi port (you need an hdmi cable and standard lightning cable too).  Unfortunately, when I tried to stream Peacock Plus (the online app that will play all olympics events) I could not get the video to show up. I have now read about hdcp compliant signals for which the cables do not allow the info to pass.  I also purchased an hdmi splitter that was claimed by some to make the signal compatible. Nope.  I have reached the end of my expertise (and patience).  Looks like I will be watching on the small screen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schmenge said:

Well, this thread really took off on me. I have a good news, bad news update. I purchased the apple-brand converter like shown by AZJohn above. That allowed me to view both my iphone and ipad to the hdmi port (you need an hdmi cable and standard lightning cable too).  Unfortunately, when I tried to stream Peacock Plus (the online app that will play all olympics events) I could not get the video to show up. I have now read about hdcp compliant signals for which the cables do not allow the info to pass.  I also purchased an hdmi splitter that was claimed by some to make the signal compatible. Nope.  I have reached the end of my expertise (and patience).  Looks like I will be watching on the small screen.

Interesting and thanks for sharing your experience even though it didn’t work. I went ahead and purchased the apple brand converter I posted about today as I have a trip in a few days to Maui and wanted to test it on the TV that is at our timeshare. I can stream our home Xfinity DVR which is the kind of the app I would use on our future cruise. Usually use my laptop to do this previously but would really enjoy not dragging that around if my iPad can work.

Best of luck if you can find another work around,

John

17 hours ago, AZjohn said:

After reading reviews it looks like you need to pony up and purchase a true Apple brand converter (which of course is 3x the price of foreign made stuff). Here is a link and most all reviews are positive:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Digital-AV-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=psdc_3015395011_t2_B093T312D5

image.thumb.png.df4f1f7d03beec5215d1c18a55b5754c.png

We have this and it works great on ship TVs to stream from an iPad. We have not used it since the startup because we haven’t cruised for more than 3 weeks at a time and weren’t starved for non-Princess TV entertainment,  but when we did use it, needle nose pliers and a universal remote worked well for us. 

The issue we’ve had for some sports events is that we tried to use the Xfinity app to access live TV, and it wouldn’t allow us to stream if not on home WiFi. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

The issue we’ve had for some sports events is that we tried to use the Xfinity app to access live TV, and it wouldn’t allow us to stream if not on home WiFi. 

I also have Xfinity and have though of using a VPN but yet to try it.

I'm thinking it might allow Xfinity to be streamed anywhere outside of the US. 

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:
33 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I also have Xfinity and have though of using a VPN but yet to try it.

I'm thinking it might allow Xfinity to be streamed anywhere outside of the US. 

Yes, the only "live" Xfinity channels I could stream outside US was what was identified as their "ToGo" stations.

My work around is (and why I mentioned it) was the DVR. Anything I record local I can stream anywhere (don't need a VPN to slow the streaming down even more). Usually outside the US I'm in a much different time zone anyway so, as long as I do not know the outcome of a sports event yet, streaming what I have recorded is like watching it live to me. And the Xfinity app you can now set up any future recording remotely (last year it couldn't).

So as an example, If I was on a cruise right now, I can remotely check the listings of the different channels a few hours from now (or tomorrow or following day) and set the recordings up for the events I want to watch later in the day. Only caution is the recording must be done recording to stream it anywhere in the world. So I might do a series of 1 hour recordings instead of one 4 hour recording so I can start streaming asap (hope I'm explaining this correctly).

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Yes, the only "live" Xfinity channels I could stream outside US was what was identified as their "ToGo" stations.

My work around is (and why I mentioned it) was the DVR. Anything I record local I can stream anywhere (don't need a VPN to slow the streaming down even more). Usually outside the US I'm in a much different time zone anyway so, as long as I do not know the outcome of a sports event yet, streaming what I have recorded is like watching it live to me. And the Xfinity app you can now set up any future recording remotely (last year it couldn't).

So as an example, If I was on a cruise right now, I can remotely check the listings of the different channels a few hours from now (or tomorrow or following day) and set the recordings up for the events I want to watch later in the day. Only caution is the recording must be done recording to stream it anywhere in the world. So I might do a series of 1 hour recordings instead of one 4 hour recording so I can start streaming asap (hope I'm explaining this correctly).

Thanks.

13 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Interesting and thanks for sharing your experience even though it didn’t work. I went ahead and purchased the apple brand converter I posted about today as I have a trip in a few days to Maui and wanted to test it on the TV that is at our timeshare. I can stream our home Xfinity DVR which is the kind of the app I would use on our future cruise.

Make sure you test it off your home wifi.

Xfinity is pretty picky about what they will show you when they don't think you are

at the location of their service.

There is/was a hacked android app that worked around this.  (which would do nothing for an iPad)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Xfinity is pretty picky about what they will show you when they don't think you are

There is/was a hacked android app that worked around this.  (which would do nothing for an iPad)

Thank you for the advice 🙂

It's scheduled to be delivered by this evening and would have never thought to try it at home (I guess I just don't think about people being dishonest and trying to steal).

Cheers,

John

8 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I’m sure glad you posted this. Tried it out on home Wi-Fi and would only get still images. When streaming a recorded game only got audio but not video (WTH???). Went on Amazon and they had a button next to my purchase for technical help. After 2 min chat explaining the problem they said do I want the return on a gift card or back to my credit card (lol)

I’m glad I found out the device doesn’t work for Xfinity streaming app and again thanks for your post.

Just will stream from my laptop to big screen like I have for years unless they disabled that also 😡

cheers,

John

7 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I’m sure glad you posted this. Tried it out on home Wi-Fi and would only get still images. When streaming a recorded game only got audio but not video (WTH???). Went on Amazon and they had a button next to my purchase for technical help. After 2 min chat explaining the problem they said do I want the return on a gift card or back to my credit card (lol)

An alternative might be...

If you know the sport you want to watch will be on a certain network...

Say, "ABC" download the "ABC" app, and log in with 'provider credentials' ... using your xfinity login.

That will generally work within the US, however the the ABC affiliate that you see will be local to where ever you are.

With the old MTN system on Princess, the satellite ground links terminated in California, so apps

identified you as being on the network within the US.

I don't know how it works on medallion net ships.   Once covid calms down, I will be willing to research this!

For the olympics, NBC says there will be coverage on their Broadcast/Cable channels, and on their Peacock App.

You might install the Peacock App.

Using Xfinity credentials, you get free access to the Peacock App.

(Peacock has a completely free service with ads, and two higher services with fewer commercials)

I think Xfinity gets you the middle service without so many ads)

https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-watch-2022-winter-olympics-nbc-and-peacock

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1