Cabin TV connections - means of streaming the winter Olympics

schmenge

I have heard that Princess will likely not have any broadcast of the winter Olympics, and I am trying to come up with a strategy to stream and connect via laptop or i-pad.  Would anyone be able to tell me what kind (if any) of connections are available on the TV? Is it possible to mirror?  Has anyone tried to stream Peacock Plus?

Thank you so much.

First of all you did not give the name of the ship in question.  All ships do NOT have the exact same TV setup.  Regardless, there have been many reports of the system being "locked out" even if you could get to the physical cable connections which may not be possible due to the way the TV is mounted.  I don't know for sure whether there are any "swing-away" style mounts on Princess ships...if so then ports should be accessible, but you may still be locked out.  Some have reported that if you take a "universal" remote with you that there's a least a chance of changing the setup.  Taking all of this into consideration...I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like 1

I watched the Summer Olympics aboard the Majestic Princess via Peacock+, but only on my i-Pad.  If you have an app for your cable or satellite system, you may be able to access the individual cable stations that are broadcasting as well, but again, only on your smartphone or pad, not on the TV.   It is unlikely that the sports channel Princess uses, Sports24, will have the games.

• Like 1

I’m on the CB feb 6 and am disappointed Princess will not have Olympics available. I’m bring iPad and getting wireless package and hope to stream. I downloaded NBC sports app that looks like it will provide full coverage. It would be great to connect to room tv with Bluetooth or something. Anyone technical advice would be appreciated. 

It’s impossible (at least for me) to move it away from the wall for fear of breaking.

I can’t see a way with the remote to change input settings, but it’s worth a shot.

58D73376-CDDC-4DA2-AF00-40A8240D5471.jpeg

Edited by Jadn13

2 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

It’s impossible (at least for me) to move it away from the wall for fear of breaking.

58D73376-CDDC-4DA2-AF00-40A8240D5471.jpeg

They do swing out from the bottom but it's quite a hard pull to get them detached. My husband is bringing a pair of long needle nosed plyers and once the HDMI connection cable is made, leaving it in place for the whole trip. All you have to do is change the TV's input as needed.(provided the Enchanted is the same as the other ships)

• Like 1

From a previous thread....

1.    Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port used by the the OceanView box.

2.    Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

3.    Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly).

4.    Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device."

Turning off the TV when finished, reset it to the original input when turned back on.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They do swing out from the bottom but it's quite a hard pull to get them detached. My husband is bringing a pair of long needle nosed plyers and once the HDMI connection cable is made, leaving it in place for the whole trip. All you have to do is change the TV's input as needed.(provided the Enchanted is the same as the other ships)

So, you can put the cable in with long needle nose without detaching TV?  Also, stupid question, but can you hook up a dvd player?  How is that done?  Anyone know on the Enchanted?

4 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

1.    Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port used by the the OceanView box.

2.    Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

3.    Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly).

4.    Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device."

Turning off the TV when finished, reset it to the original input when turned back on.

Wonderful will this  work with dvd player?  What is this could you explain a little more (Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port used by the the OceanView box.??)  Thanks.  We are not very good with this stuff!

3 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Wonderful will this  work with dvd player?  What is this could you explain a little more (Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port used by the the OceanView box.??)  Thanks.  We are not very good with this stuff!

In lieu of the Oceanview box, the HDMI port on the back of the TV will also work 

Your DVD will work as long as it has an HDMI port and you have an adapter to connect it to the HDMI port on the TV.

5 hours ago, mellon1 said:

If you have a tablet or smartphone, you may want to invest in this:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Supports-Passthrough-Connected-AVC002btBK/dp/B0893452HR

7 hours ago, mellon1 said:

What is this could you explain a little more (Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port used by the the OceanView box.??)

Ignore what was said about the Oceanview box. All you are looking for is a HDMI port as shown in post #8 just below the blue coloured USB port.

I think the Oceanview box is what was (is?) providing video on demand to the TV. I haven't been able to get on a ship for two years, so things may have changed.

Once you have a HDMI port connected to a HDMI cable, and you can switch the TV back and forth to that HDMI port, you can connect anything you like that has a HDMI output. Like DVD players, cameras, phones, laptops or Xboxes.

p.s. Don't pull anything out of the TV that is already attached. 😲

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mellon1 said:

So, you can put the cable in with long needle nose without detaching TV?  Also, stupid question, but can you hook up a dvd player?  How is that done?  Anyone know on the Enchanted?

Yes you can just plug in an HDMI cable without pulling the TV out from the mount but it's difficult to reach for someone with large hands. Hence the need for needle nose pliers.  They've got wall mounts that are very stiff to dislodge and my husband has only used that approach one time. 

Once the HDMI cable is in place and the TV switched to that input you can feed it with anything that has an HDMI output. Leave the HDMI cable in place for the entire trip coiled up behind the TV & remove your player (phone, Roku, WD-TV, DVD player) when not being used. 

Note: My Roku device has the capability to plug in headphones into it's remote. The Princess TV's don't provide a headphone jack.

I'm not sure about the Enchanted but I'm guessing it's the same setup as all the other ships. 

Don't forget an extension cord to reach the AC outlet on the desk or wall.

Edited by MissP22

On 1/29/2022 at 8:02 AM, MissP22 said:

Yes you can just plug in an HDMI cable without pulling the TV out from the mount but it's difficult to reach for someone with large hands. Hence the need for needle nose pliers.  They've got wall mounts that are very stiff to dislodge and my husband has only used that approach one time. 

Once the HDMI cable is in place and the TV switched to that input you can feed it with anything that has an HDMI output. Leave the HDMI cable in place for the entire trip coiled up behind the TV & remove your player (phone, Roku, WD-TV, DVD player) when not being used. 

Note: My Roku device has the capability to plug in headphones into it's remote. The Princess TV's don't provide a headphone jack.

I'm not sure about the Enchanted but I'm guessing it's the same setup as all the other ships. 

Don't forget an extension cord to reach the AC outlet on the desk or wall.

Thank you soooo very much for this info!  Our last trip in 2020 DH brought all the new John Wick and other action movies, only to not be able to hook up to the TV!  That was on the Grand class ships.  

On 1/28/2022 at 2:12 PM, LACruiser88 said:

I am printing and copying this to my email so my DH can do this on the trip.  So very helpful and simple to do!!!!!  Thank you

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 11:00 PM, LACruiser88 said:

In lieu of the Oceanview box, the HDMI port on the back of the TV will also work 

Your DVD will work as long as it has an HDMI port and you have an adapter to connect it to the HDMI port on the TV.

What is the adapter and where to get.  What exactly is it called?  Again, I totally know nothing about this stuff!!

I understand that princess doesn't want to pay to provide coverage of the olympics...

But, it seems really wasteful of bandwidth to have a zillion people streaming the same thing.

Maybe they should handle this like religious services...

There will be passenger-led olympics streaming in some lounge, at some time....

If princess happened to leave an hdmi cable around that was connected to some bigger monitor.  Voila!

(or for the internet forums, walla!)

n.b. I realise that only football should be compared to religious services.

Except during march madness.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mellon1 said:

What is the adapter and where to get.  What exactly is it called?  Again, I totally know nothing about this stuff!!

You need a cable that is long enough to reach from your device to the back of the TV.  The cable must have an HDMI output connection for the TV and a connection that is compatible to your specific device (tablet, laptop, smartphone, etc...).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

You need a cable that is long enough to reach from your device to the back of the TV.  The cable must have an HDMI output connection for the TV and a connection that is compatible to your specific device (tablet, laptop, smartphone, etc...).

Thanks for putting in terms I can understand, so will just get a long connection cord.  

• Like 1