Costa Magica to Carnival Fleet

brilliantseas

35 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Ownership has been transferred to the China brand, initially they are suppose to stay in Costa livery. 

Carnival should have taken the pair over Magica, I do wonder if Carnival will take on Fortuna as well in the future. 

Is Fortuna another Destiny class ship?

Edit:  I just looked at her deck plan.  Looks like a Sunshining candidate to me.  There seems to have been something done in '18.

Edited by jsglow

2 hours ago, jasong38501 said:

I'm curious about the two ships Costa was transferring to start a new Carnival China cruise line. I have found very little information about any changes they have made to those ships and I don't know that either of those have sailed for this new China brand. They are both just sitting off the coast of Dubai last time I looked with Splendor. They are both based off the Spirit Class. I would it would be just as easy to convert them to Carnival branding as it would a new Chinese brand. 

I just looked 'em up.  The Atlantica and Mediterranea sure look like Spirit ships to me.  Sometimes we're playing checkers when the beards are absolutely playing chess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Ownership has been transferred to the China brand, initially they are suppose to stay in Costa livery. 

Carnival should have taken the pair over Magica, I do wonder if Carnival will take on Fortuna as well in the future. 

Supposed to be two Vista class ships under construction for that brand as well. Makes you wonder if the China brand will actually get running and need that much capacity. The Chinese market seems to have grown cold during the post covid restart. And Costa had several ships in that market as well. 

6 hours ago, jasong38501 said:

Supposed to be two Vista class ships under construction for that brand as well. Makes you wonder if the China brand will actually get running and need that much capacity. The Chinese market seems to have grown cold during the post covid restart. And Costa had several ships in that market as well. 

One of the CSSC Vista ships has been floated out:

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/photos-china-floats-first-large-domestically-built-cruise-ship

10 hours ago, bamaone said:

No. Only Carnival and they have been in and out since they arrived. Mobile tried to get any ship possible during the previous Carnival pause. That one lasted about 5 years. Pretty much it's Carnival or empty. Unfortunately for Mobile, N.O and Galveston cover the same ports and are a much bigger draw. 

That said, Mobile does have some distinct advantages (and I compare more to NOLA than Galveston, since that would be more of a Texas market).  The biggest being that it does not have to navigate a River for 7 hours each way (which usually requires the stabilizers to be pulled in - I didn't realize that until we did the Serenade OTS out of NOLA and boy did it rock).  Mobile is direct into the bay/gulf, so timewise, you get to destinations quicker.  The second advantage is that it is generally a closer driving port than NOLA for cities such as Birmingham, Pensacola, Atlanta, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville.

It is my understanding that the bookings have done fairly well out of Mobile.  However, it's a bit of a chicken/egg thing.  Do more people cruise out of NOLA because it's NOLA, or because the ship is newer?  Point being, if Mobile had a newer (than the Ecstasy) ship, it may do better than it is now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

It is my understanding that the bookings have done fairly well out of Mobile.  However, it's a bit of a chicken/egg thing.  Do more people cruise out of NOLA because it's NOLA, or because the ship is newer?  Point being, if Mobile had a newer (than the Ecstasy) ship, it may do better than it is now.

I would like to see Spirit class updated and sunshine'd and moved into ports like Mobile. I do think people feel a night or two in NOLA sounds like an addition to the vacation, but it's a bit expensive. Mobile could do a bit more to holla about why we might want to go there instead. 

It looks like with the announcement from March 1, Elation is staying in Jacksonville through at least April 2024:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-cruise-line-reveals-additional-itineraries-into-2024-related-to-ship-reassignments-previously-announced-301492517.html

That's not to say it could be changed later, but I would suspect that limits Mobile to either Paradise (which affects sailings already open for booking) or a Spirit-class ship.

The difference between New Orleans and Mobile as a cruise port city is significant.  We've flown into NO, enjoyed the French Quarter, and sailed the next day.  I likely wouldn't ever consider flying to Mobile.  That makes the latter strictly a drive to, locals only port. And personally I'd be very surprised if Mobile got a Spirit class ship.  In my view, it's either Carnival's 'last' boat or none at all.  Such has been the case for all the years Carnival sailed from there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jsglow said:

The difference between New Orleans and Mobile as a cruise port city is significant.  We've flown into NO, enjoyed the French Quarter, and sailed the next day.  I likely wouldn't ever consider flying to Mobile.  That makes the latter strictly a drive to, locals only port. And personally I'd be very surprised if Mobile got a Spirit class ship.  In my view, it's either Carnival's 'last' boat or none at all.  Such has been the case for all the years Carnival sailed from there.

I think this is true, but it still makes me kinda sad. I wonder what it might take to improve the situation.

25 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I think this is true, but it still makes me kinda sad. I wonder what it might take to improve the situation.

Not arguing KMom but exactly why does it have to be improved? Mobile is a modest Gulf Coast city where the alternatives are simply significantly more attractive. And as discussed elsewhere, if a cruiseline thinks it can make money there, it will assuredly sail.

Said another way, should Cleveland get a ship simply because they want it?

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

In terms of passenger, capacity, Spirit class is now the bottom; Carnival Elation and Carnival Paradise are larger after their last refurbishment. Spirit is the oldest of the four Spirit-class vessels, and doesn't have work after September 2023.

Carnival Spirit is going to Mobile in October 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tidecat said:

In terms of passenger, capacity, Spirit class is now the bottom; Carnival Elation and Carnival Paradise are larger after their last refurbishment. Spirit is the oldest of the four Spirit-class vessels, and doesn't have work after September 2023.

Time will tell but I'll take that bet.

4 hours ago, jsglow said:

Not arguing KMom but exactly why does it have to be improved? Mobile is a modest Gulf Coast city where the alternatives are simply significantly more attractive. And as discussed elsewhere, if a cruiseline thinks it can make money there, it will assuredly sail.

Said another way, should Cleveland get a ship simply because they want it?

Well I don't know what needs to be improved, but Mobile wants the business and they are not drawing like NOLA.  So I meant if Mobile wants to compete more effectively they need some kind of oomph factor.

I agree that Mobile won't keep the business if they can't attract the passengers, though I love Cleveland and if a cruise sailed out of there I'd be on it. No, not one of the uber expensive little American Cruise Line ships. Like a Fantasy class ship. Speaking of which, no, Mobile is not entitled to the ship, but I like to see them being able to attract the tourists. I'm just wishing for something that isn't. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Cleveland is out because of the width requirements on the St. Lawrence Seaway. Even the original Royal Caribbean ships are like 9 inches too wide, every Carnival ship past and present is too wide.

Yes I’m aware and the model doesn’t work well financially to justify a special build.

6 hours ago, Pellaz said:

I'm still a bit surprised that Carnival pulled out of Port Everglades completely.  Up until our cruise on Mardi Gras I had an unbroken string of 5 or 6 PEV departures and I liked the port.  

What is the advantage of Port Everglades for Carnival? PortMiami is already connected to both MIA and FLL via airport shuttles, and Miami is better connected via direct flights for international passengers. 

I personally like the proximity of Port Everglades to FLL, but the two ports are so close that I don't really see an advantage to Carnival operating out of FLL instead of MIA, but splitting the MIA traffic adds cost and reduces efficiencies. Efficiency and terminal space is likely the same reason Princess and HAL only sail from FLL rather than splitting their fleets between the two cities during the winter season. 

I believe the only reason Carnival previously sailed Carnival Freedom from Port Everglades was due to terminal space constraints in PortMiami on Saturdays and Sundays. They likely didn't want to attempt a Friday or Monday departure for the 6/7/8 day itineraries. 

• Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 9:34 AM, tidecat said:

You knew something, didn’t you!!!

Can’t wait to sail her!

https://www.al.com/news/2022/03/carnival-spirit-will-sail-from-mobile-in-october-2023.html?outputType=amp

8 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

Is Ex Costa Magica going to sail out of China under the Carnival banner ? I was hoping it might come to Brisbane Australia.

I don't think so. I think it will be moved into the rotation of existing Carnival Cruise Line itineraries.  

CSSC (Carnival Cruise Shipping), a newer joint venture, will cover that market with the two Spirit class ships it already got from Costa and the two Vista class ships on the way, assuming all goes as planned.  Given the chaotic world situation who knows? Startups sometimes don't end up starting up, or if they do, not necessarily as per the original plans. 

It seems to me like the post Sunshine'd Destiny class ships fill a pretty important niche in the US market as Fantasy class is retired. I don't see any reason why one of these couldn't move into the seasonal Australia rotation as well, but I don't see one going over to China. 

• Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 12:11 AM, bmc alabama said:

... navigate a River for 7 hours each way

(which usually requires the stabilizers to be pulled in

- I didn't realize that until we did the Serenade OTS out of NOLA

and boy did it rock). 

Who'da thunk it?!

I would not have thought

that rockin and a-rollin would be a factor on a river!