Balcony vs deluxe balcony question (Regal Princess)

Brad548ye

Hi, 

I'm looking at booking a cruise on the Regal princess and was just wanting to ask a question about the balcony state rooms. Firstly, although i know there is an extra 11 sq feet of space in a deluxe is this in the room or on the balcony, essentially i just want to know if the actual balcony's are the same size or not. Also is it right that if there is a third guest (my 9 yr old daughter), using the pullman bed in the standard balcony would that mean the main bed has to be split into two twin beds? 

Many Thanks

Brad

A deluxe balcony cabin is slightly larger and has a two seat sofa that is also the 3rd berth. Most balconies are 9ft x 4ft. If you search the deck plans at the site below, deck by deck, you will be able to spot some deluxe balcony cabins with larger balconies, some angled.

A standard balcony cabin does not have a sofa, just a desk chair. Again most balconies are 9ft x 4ft. But a search of the deck plans will show some with larger balconies mainly on the lower decks. The 3rd berth lowers from the ceiling adjacent to the closet wall. Normally the lower bed is split into the twin configuration with one twin under the upper berth against the closet wall and the other next to the desk. There is a nightstand in between the two lower beds. Splitting of the lower beds allows access to the 3rd upper berth. It is possible to leave the lower bed in the queen position, but access will be more difficult. Speak with the cabin steward.

https://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=GP

Select 3 persons to find cabins that have a 3rd berth. Check the connecting cabin box if you wish to find or eliminate cabins with an interior connecting door. 

I have stayed in L101 aboard the Royal, Regal's sister ship. The two lower beds can be pushed together to make a queen. The sofa makes into a twin bed and the fourth bunk lowers from the ceiling above the sofa. This configuration does not impede access to the twin beds, so it's doable. It does block the access to the balcony door, but your steward will put everything back away each morning. The balcony is huge, but a little windy when you are sailing. 

I have also stayed in L103. This cabin is a three person room and does not have the pull down bed from the ceiling, only the sofa bed. 

7 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Every time I look at deluxe balconies on the web site, it won't let me choose, so I'm stuck with a standard one. I don't understand their reasoning.

Currently, on most ships with deluxe balconies, you have to book a guaranteed cabin.  Meaning that you don't choose location and a cabin will be assigned as you get closer to the sailing.

13 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Every time I look at deluxe balconies on the web site, it won't let me choose, so I'm stuck with a standard one. I don't understand their reasoning.

High demand for these cabins? Guess Princess wants ability to move people around. 

Well just as i was about to book this cruise i got told i couldn't as princess now won't take my 9 yr old daughter as being in the UK she's obviously not had the opportunity to have the vaccination yet. I am beyond gutted!!!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brad548ye said:

Well just as i was about to book this cruise i got told i couldn't as princess now won't take my 9 yr old daughter as being in the UK she's obviously not had the opportunity to have the vaccination yet. I am beyond gutted!!!! 

Hopefully, you will in the future.

We were in E502 on Regal which is a regular balcony cabin, and the pullman bed comes out of the ceiling next to the balcony. If you are a regular person without any physical ailments that don't allow you to bend a little and walk under that pullman bed, you will be able to use the balcony whilst the bed is down. Our twins were pushed together into a queen and weren't in the way of the pullman bed at all. 20191124_141840.thumb.jpg.b47343428ab4016d7ee50ac25ea1e0cc.jpgOur DS loves pullman beds. In the morning, once DS was out of the bed, I pushed it up into the ceiling myself so it's not in the way.

We were also in E322 (or e332?) previously, which is a deluxe balcony (obstructed), and the third bed was a sofa bed, not a pullman. The twin beds in that room were separated, but we didn't ask for them to be put together because I ended up sleeping on the sofa, while DH and DS took the twin beds. At that time all of the Regal beds were rock hard with awful lumpy mattresses. The sofa bed was just a tiny bit easier on my poor back (I have a very bad back due to a trauma many years ago).