Automatic upgrades

lilyafloat

Hi

I've been reading about the cabin upgrades and realised that it can be a bit of disaster if you have picked a good room, but I was wondering if it can be a good thing. If I booked a cabin at the top of it's grade and was happy with any of the potential upgrade cabins would it be a good idea ? Plus, does it happen that often or are CC members just really lucky 🙂

Welcome Lilyafloat. It depends how wedded you are to the cabin you booked. I usually opt into cabin upgrades as I am not overly bothered where my cabin is. But have to say I have not had many with P&O, more often with Cunard. On Adonia we got swapped from an inside to an outside and on Queen Victoria I got swapped from an inside to a balcony but maybe three or four free upgrades in over 50 cruises.

• Like 1

I think one ship or rather two, Iona and Arvia, merit a good think about upgrades because of the 'dreaded' promenade deck 8 where you can end up with a balcony that passers by can look into and even worse some right forward that not only have people looking in but can also have an unusable balcony when the ship is moving because of the wind.

• Like 1

Thank you both. I am looking at Aurora where the lowest suite cabins are all in places I would be more than happy to be upgraded too 😁 and the deluxe balconies look great.

Unlike some of the other ships where the 'upgraded room' over the nightclub or under the pool deck would not be an upgrade to me 😮

Edited by lilyafloat
  • Like 2

Real upgrades are very, very few and far between and sometimes not a good thing as the OP has concluded.

Personally I tend to lock in my cabin unless the moves to the side (which is the most likely “upgrade” people get) or upwards when a proper upgrade is offered, look ok. This requires a close scrutiny of the deck plans.

Same applies to taking a guarantee. As Dave says above I would not even consider a guarantee or not locking in my cabin on Iona given some of the truly horrible cabins (for me anyway) that I might end up in if I did.

Its interesting to see that the differential in cost between a guarantee cabin and a select cabin is getting significantly bigger.  I’ve noticed one or two cruises (particularly on Iona) where the difference is a third of the price which never used to be the case. Given that select now offers less value because of freedom dining it could perhaps be in recognition of the fact that there are some cabins people simply won’t purchase and an attractive guarantee price is the only way to get rid of them.

• Like 1

Can they move you sideways in a grade? I assumed that it would always be upwards and to shift you out of your nice easily re-sold cabin to an 'upgraded nobody in their right minds would want cabin' 😂

If that's the case then I shall tick the box once I have the cabin of my choice. Only another 8 months to study deck plans in my quest for the perfect room!

1 minute ago, lilyafloat said:

Can they move you sideways in a grade? I assumed that it would always be upwards and to shift you out of your nice easily re-sold cabin to an 'upgraded nobody in their right minds would want cabin' 😂

If that's the case then I shall tick the box once I have the cabin of my choice. Only another 8 months to study deck plans in my quest for the perfect room!

Yes. A move from a forward or aft cabin to a mid ship in the same type eg standard balcony aft to standard balcony mid ships is considered by the cruise lines as “an upgrade”. 

On some ships this could mean moving from a nice open sunny aft cabin to a mid ship under the overhang which then shades the balcony. Look at the pricing which will increase depending on location, this shows what they consider to be an upgrade within the same category.

Some ships have particular issues for example Brittania was well known for having a bad issue with soot for cabins and suites towards the back of the ship (I’m not sure if this has now been resolved). Iona has the conservatory mini suites which would be an upgrade from a balcony but have no privacy.

Side ways “upgrades” can also move you to above the disco or under the running track so check the plans and look for the worst possible move. If you are happy enough with the prospect then fine, if not lock in your cabin choice.

• Like 1

Thank you Eglesbrech. Can they move your cabin within a band? I'm looking at Aurora and have assumed that if I book an EA deluxe cabin then they could only 'upgrade' me to a CD mini-suite or higher.

I'm happy with all the suite locations so I would take a gamble on that, but wouldn't want a sideways move within the deluxe EA grade due to the rooms next to the lift/stairwell.

13 minutes ago, lilyafloat said:

Thank you Eglesbrech. Can they move your cabin within a band? I'm looking at Aurora and have assumed that if I book an EA deluxe cabin then they could only 'upgrade' me to a CD mini-suite or higher.

I'm happy with all the suite locations so I would take a gamble on that, but wouldn't want a sideways move within the deluxe EA grade due to the rooms next to the lift/stairwell.

I can’t say for certain but I have personally never known them to do that.

What I will say is that they can very occasionally move you regardless. It doesn’t happen often but there have been recent examples when a move was required to create a quarantine zone. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I can’t say for certain but I have personally never known them to do that.

What I will say is that they can very occasionally move you regardless. It doesn’t happen often but there have been recent examples when a move was required to create a quarantine zone. 

Hopefully by the time I get to sail quarantine zones will be a thing of the past. Now I just have to wait and see where Aurora will be sailing in 2024 🙂

20 hours ago, Fionboard said:

I always try to get C deck on Ventura - standard cabin but biggest balcony. If I get  upgrade I could get D deck deluxe - bigger cabin but smaller, overlooked balcony! Depends on the ship really.

I think the point most people miss regarding upgrades is that it relates to moving from one grade to a higher grade.  This might mean you book a Standard Balcony Cabin on "C" Deck on Ventura having a very large balcony area at a grade HD. You might be "lucky" to get an upgrade to an HA grade Standard Balcony Cabin having a much smaller balcony on "A" Deck.  You are not always moved to a different type of cabin. This is a false assumption passenger make regarding upgrades.

To avoid this problem booking HA grade standard balcony will limit the problem as the next highest grade is bottom grade Superior Deluxe Balcony.

Booking a top grade Standard Balcony Cabin on Iona in a nice location of your choosing will again mean any upgrade needs to be to a different cabin type such as a Conservatory Mini-Suite on the Promenade Deck with the associated privacy issues mention on this thread.

The problem in my opinion is caused by people taliking about "Balcony  Cabin" being a grade. It is not.

Regards John

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 1:17 PM, lilyafloat said:

We had an upgrade from our standard balcony on Brittania to a deluxe. Very nice it was, but 2 cabins forward would have put us right under a large overhang. Since then we have ticked the box to ' no upgrade '.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Yes, if you pay Select to choose your cabin you do not want to be moved. No upgrade for me.

This is true in most cases but on Ventura for example if you booked the top grade Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin on a DA grade, the only upgrade that you could receive will be a Suite.  This might be attractive to people who are not that bothered about losing a location if they received suite benefits.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1