Itinary change Iona G205 Southampton to Canaries 19th Feb 22

bobstheboy

We find Gibraltar to be a concrete nothingness and it’s probably our least favourite port of call. Once you’ve done the Rock, cable car and dodged the terrorist monkeys that’s about it (other than the tacky shops). One of our favourite cruise stops ever was the beautiful city of Ceuta, which is a Spanish enclave carved out of Morocco directly across the Straights of Gibraltar. The contrast was incredible. This was on Aurora and it’s almost never used as a port call by P&O, even the small ships, which is a great shame as it’s ten times better. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

We find Gibraltar to be a concrete nothingness and it’s probably our least favourite port of call. Once you’ve done the Rock, cable car and dodged the terrorist monkeys that’s about it (other than the tacky shops). One of our favourite cruise stops ever was the beautiful city of Ceuta, which is a Spanish enclave carved out of Morocco directly across the Straights of Gibraltar. The contrast was incredible. This was on Aurora and it’s almost never used as a port call by P&O, even the small ships, which is a great shame as it’s ten times better. 

I'd agree with you. Hopefully if the weather is good, stay onboard,  and enoy the sun whilst everyone else goes ashore to save £2 on a bottle  of  gin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

One of our favourite cruise stops ever was the beautiful city of Ceuta, which is a Spanish enclave carved out of Morocco directly across the Straights of Gibraltar. The contrast was incredible. This was on Aurora and it’s almost never used as a port call by P&O, even the small ships, which is a great shame as it’s ten times better. 

Yes it would be nice if Ceuta turned up more on P&O schedules. I only went there once, on a school cruise way back in 1968, but I remember it was lovely. I've seen it very rarely listed on P&O itineraries in recent years, but was unable to book as I was a full-time carer for my parents for years. Now that I'm "free" to go anywhere - Covid permitting! - I've chosen as one of my flexible transfers a 19-nighter on Arcadia which - hopefully!  - calls at Ceuta.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valfan said:

Yes it would be nice if Ceuta turned up more on P&O schedules. I only went there once, on a school cruise way back in 1968, but I remember it was lovely. I've seen it very rarely listed on P&O itineraries in recent years, but was unable to book as I was a full-time carer for my parents for years. Now that I'm "free" to go anywhere - Covid permitting! - I've chosen as one of my flexible transfers a 19-nighter on Arcadia which - hopefully!  - calls at Ceuta.

Ironic that Ceuta is a contested Spanish outpost in Morocco, very similar to Gib being a British outpost in Spain.

Goodness knows,  I'm not an imperialist, but Spain has a serious problem with double standards here.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'd agree with you. Hopefully if the weather is good, stay onboard,  and enoy the sun whilst everyone else goes ashore to save £2 on a bottle  of  gin.

After visiting the Trafalgar Cemetery, we walk, in my case push back to the Chinese Restaurant, just before the roundabout, nice people, they look after us. We always dine there. and we always look forward to going back

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Ironic that Ceuta is a contested Spanish outpost in Morocco, very similar to Gib being a British outpost in Spain.

Goodness knows,  I'm not an imperialist, but Spain has a serious problem with double standards here.

Yes, we thought exactly the same thing whilst we were there! We also wondered that, if Spain was so desperate to get hold of Gibraltar, perhaps they would consider swapping it for Ceuta? That would be a definite win for us! 😉 

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

Depends on your cruise.  Full day last November on Princess, and we have another full day in May (Princess again)

If you remember the ship was running pretty quick on the return, even in bad seas, but did get back to Southampton late.  Must have cost a bit in fuel as well.  We did have a reasonable time there though, until about 4pm I think.

Edited by tring

I was talking about P&O not Princess. Very rarely have we had a full day in Gib. Usually 7am to lunchtime. Not that I am bothered as been there dozens of times and not keen on it! Seem to remember when I used to sail Celebrity we had full days but that was years ago.

1 hour ago, smoggymonster said:

hi devonuk

yep.....still haven't officially been informed. I have been able to check in however still can't print tickets and boarding passes. has anybody been able to yet?

cheers

Ours are all done  

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well we quite like Gib. Travel broadens the mind, staying on board broadens the waistline. Each to their own, but we like to have a look at the monkeys on the Rock ( it isn't made of concrete, it is made of.........rock).🤣

• Like 2

Just had this email. In Gib we also like the botanical gardens just a bit further from the cable car. 

“Following a review of the itinerary, it has been necessary to change the dates of Iona’s calls to Cadiz. Iona will now visit Cadiz on Thursday 2 March.

In addition to this, due to operational reasons they have been made aware that Iona’s call to Lisbon can no longer go ahead. To ensure that you can enjoy your time ashore, you will now visit Gibraltar on Wednesday 1 March.

All pre booked excursions for Cadiz will be automatically transferred to the new date. All pre booked excursions for Lisbon will be automatically cancelled and refunded to you. A revised shore excursion programme for Gibraltar will be available on My P&O Cruises.

All other information regarding the itinerary remains unchanged and P&O Cruises thank you for your attention to this notification and look forward to welcoming you on board Iona for a memorable cruise.”

Edited by Stu UK

20 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Just had this email. In Gib we also like the botanical gardens just a bit further from the cable car. 

“Following a review of the itinerary, it has been necessary to change the dates of Iona’s calls to Cadiz. Iona will now visit Cadiz on Thursday 2 March.

In addition to this, due to operational reasons they have been made aware that Iona’s call to Lisbon can no longer go ahead. To ensure that you can enjoy your time ashore, you will now visit Gibraltar on Wednesday 1 March.

All pre booked excursions for Cadiz will be automatically transferred to the new date. All pre booked excursions for Lisbon will be automatically cancelled and refunded to you. A revised shore excursion programme for Gibraltar will be available on My P&O Cruises.

All other information regarding the itinerary remains unchanged and P&O Cruises thank you for your attention to this notification and look forward to welcoming you on board Iona for a memorable cruise.”

Leave Cadiz on Thursday, arrive Southampton early Saturday morning, that will take some doing.

5 hours ago, smoggymonster said:

hi devonuk

yep.....still haven't officially been informed. I have been able to check in however still can't print tickets and boarding passes. has anybody been able to yet?

cheers

yep me too not been officially informed, had a email this morning about my changed excursion dates in Cadiz only, I’ve been able to check in bit cannot print of my tickets yet and the cruise before this one  can’t print off yet maybe ther going to up grade me 😂 wishful thinking 🤔 

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

yep me too not been officially informed, had a email this morning about my changed excursion dates in Cadiz only, I’ve been able to check in bit cannot print of my tickets yet and the cruise before this one  can’t print off yet maybe ther going to up grade me 😂 wishful thinking 🤔 

On the cruise before Hamburg has just become Le Harve. 

17 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Just checked my cruise itinerary. They have got the days wrong, Tuesday Gib, Wednesday Cadiz. 

P&O couldn't organise a P ...  Up in a brewery.

And, I haven't received an email.

Still no email informing me of the itinerary change and despite several reminders to register the grandchildren into the Reef club…. You’ve guessed, the system isn’t working 🤣

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 9:16 PM, Selbourne said:

We find Gibraltar to be a concrete nothingness and it’s probably our least favourite port of call. Once you’ve done the Rock, cable car and dodged the terrorist monkeys that’s about it (other than the tacky shops). 

Gibraltar is one of my least favourite cruise stops, I agree it's just loads of shops and pubs other than the rock & monkeys. 

Then recently I was watching an episode of something with Bethany Hughes, and she was exploring some of the archaeological sites on the island, and it was really fascinating. I genuinely had no idea all of that stuff was there. Why aren't they publicising stuff like that to visitors, it's far more interesting than buying duty free! (I'm not sure if all sites are actually open to visit, but if not they really need to work on it) 

• Like 2

We love Gibraltar - so much more than just the high st and ocean village.  On our many stops there apart from the cable car up to the Apes Den we have visited the Great Seige Tunnels, Alameda Gardens, Europa Point with the lighthouse and Hardings Battery, the Moorish Castle, St Michaels Cave, The 100 Ton gun, the small cemetery where a couple of sailors from the Battle of Trafalgar are buried, the Mediterranean Steps (definitely not one for the unfit or faint-hearted!), watched the re-enactment of the ceremony of the Keys (only on Saturdays) and just for fun and because we can, taken pictures of each other standing in the middle of the runway!

We have still yet to visit the WW11 tunnels and O'Haras Battery - they are for our future visits. 

And we still get our duty free too.

We are fans!

Michele

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mewat said:

We love Gibraltar - so much more than just the high st and ocean village.  On our many stops there apart from the cable car up to the Apes Den we have visited the Great Seige Tunnels, Alameda Gardens, Europa Point with the lighthouse and Hardings Battery, the Moorish Castle, St Michaels Cave, The 100 Ton gun, the small cemetery where a couple of sailors from the Battle of Trafalgar are buried, the Mediterranean Steps (definitely not one for the unfit or faint-hearted!), watched the re-enactment of the ceremony of the Keys (only on Saturdays) and just for fun and because we can, taken pictures of each other standing in the middle of the runway!

We have still yet to visit the WW11 tunnels and O'Haras Battery - they are for our future visits. 

And we still get our duty free too.

We are fans!

Michele

We enjoy our stops in Gib. All the things you say + a bit of window shopping. The Britishness is quite unique in that part of the world. Giving it to Spain would be a betrayal of the Gibraltarians.

Neighbours off to Med next week have had Lisbon cancelled and both their Italy stops, due to covid requirements there. This is on Fred. Seems all lines are changing itineraries daily. Don't know where you are going nowadays. Pot luck but still worth it I hope!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1