iflyrc5 Almost Live from the Nieuw Statendam - Feb 2 - Mar 16 (we hope)

iflyrc5

We board Feb. 13th.  What I don't see on the Navigator App is anything scheduled for the Rolling Stone Rock Room.  Is there a band playing there or have they come down with Covid?

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone posting our departure photo and yes that is us.

I got the Internet package today so here is my update.

Wednesday - Feb 2 - Our boarding group was C at 12:40.  We got off the rental car shuttle at 12:15 and we were in our cabin in less than 15 minutes.  The first stop was to check our passport, boarding pass, Vax card and negative Covid results - then around the corner and through the security scanner with our carryons, then the facial scan - the up the elevator to board the ship - no waiting at any stop.   On the ship we went up the center elevator to deck 4 and found out that from that area aft to the rear elevators is the Covid quarantine area and maybe also on deck 5 so we had to go up to 6 - walk back to the rear elevators then down to 4 and we were good to go.  There are 12 balcony cabins on our side from the rear elevators to the back and only 5 cabins have people (don't have anyone on either side) and I have seen anyone in the inside cabins.  We got to the MDR for lunch and had the fish tacos and steak tacos which were good.  Will probably do that again. Our steward said it is the same on the other side too.  I have asked several crew and they said about 900 passengers on this cruise.  We were and hour late leaving because of delayed flight arrivals.  We got a table for 2 in the MDR about 6pm and were in and out is about an hour and it was only about half full.  There was a cocktail party for 4 and 5 star and President club members in the Billboard on Board and it was packed so there must be a lot of long time HAL cruisers on this ship.  Many of the senior staff were there to greet us including the CD and Hotel Manager and others. Overall at great first day of being back on a DAM ship.

Will update more on Thursday and Friday after dinner tonight.

If you have questions I will try and get you answers.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Thursday-Feb 3 - Partly cloudy - 75 and gale force winds so the ship is rocking and rolling which we love as it rocks you to sleep at night.  This was our first of 2 consecutive sea days as we head for St Maarten.  The winds were such that there was know one at the sea view pool which made the center lido pool area very busy but the roof was open so masks were not required in that area.

Our cabin steward Putu notified us that with this cruise that they will only be servicing the cabins one time a day and asked if we wanted morning of evening.  We told him mornings and also ask for ice replacement in the evening and new towels in the bathroom.

Tonight was our first of 2 gala nights.  The MDR was very full when we arrived at 6pm and only sharing tables were available.  There were 5 of us at the table that could seat 8.  We asked our waiter to try and hurry as we all wanted to make the show at 7:30pm  Tono did a great job and got us out by just after 7pm so we could attend the welcome aboard by the captain at 7:15 and then the Step One Dance Company show Humanity.  We have seen this show several time on the Koningsdam and this one uses the dynamic features of the 270 World Stage screen to the fullest.  If you have not been on a Pinnacle ship with this screen don't miss this show.  I estimate that the showroom was 60% full for the show.

I typically spend about 45 minutes walking the deck and then some time in the gym using the weight machines.  The sign when entering the gym states masks are required - however, the gym trainers said that if you are using the treadmills, bikes or other aerobic machines you did not need to wear a mask.  There are probably 30 or so aerobic machines in the gym and when I was there just before lunch there were only 3 people using them so you could spread out.

My observation of procedures for handling Covid safety is that the HAL staff is doing the best then can but some guests just don't get that they agreed to the policy when board and don't fully  comply with the mask requirements.  During the day most all guests are following the mask indoor policy however in the evening the compliance drops drastically in the music venues.  The captain and CD reminds all guest about the mask policy at the end of every announcement and yet tonight at the Rock Room none of the 30 or so guests on the dance floor were wearing masks and even many standing in the passage way watching were without a masks. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Friday - Feb 4 - Sunny - 77 and still having strong winds.   Did my usual deck walk and then some weight machines in the gym.  After lunch spent most of the day around the center lido pool in the sun and reading as there were not any ship activities that were of interest.  There was a movie on the  big screen but with the wing and water sloshing in the pool it was hard to hear. 

I did get setup with the wifi which seems to be working fine from out cabin on deck 4 - portside - aft.  Certainly not as fast as our 1gig speed at home but with the "Surf" package having no trouble with email, Facebook, messenger or getting on Cruise Critic.

When checking my account yesterday there was a substantial about of OBC that was not showing up on my statement so I stopped by the front desk and they scanned a copy of my paper work (always bring a hard copy) that they set to the home office.  We got a call late this afternoon that all is good and checking our statement tonight the missing OBC is now showing.

In looking at the MDR versus Lido menu for diner tonight what we were wanting was available in the lido so we had diner there tonight.  We arrived at 6pm and only about 60 or so people with no lines.

We had a very nice meal and were out by 7pm to head for the World stage to see Cantare'.  We have been on over half of the HAL ships with 35 cruises and yet had never encountered this group before yet they said there first time on a HAL ship was 10 years ago.   It was 4 male singers with great voices, some dance moves and good harmony.  They will be doing several shows during the cruise so we plan to be back.  I estimate the showroom was about 70% full.  The show ended at 8:15pm so we headed for the BB King lounge to see comedian Jim David.  He did a very funny show to a full crowd and is scheduled to be back on Sunday and so will we. 

Tomorrow is St Maarten.  The plan of the day shows that you will not need to have a ships tour or govt approved tour to get off.  We plan to let the rush get off then depending on the weather (forecast is change of rain) we will walk into town and have drink and a little shopping then back to the ship for lunch.

Again - any questions let me know.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Enjoying your live from!  My question - on our NS cruise in July, we have booked 4046.  I couldn’t quite figure out from your post if that was a stateroom that is included in the quarantine area.  Would you mind checking that out for me, please?

also, when we were on NS pre-Covid, there were wine tastings done in Club Orange, are they still doing that?

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Enjoying your live from!  My question - on our NS cruise in July, we have booked 4046.  I couldn’t quite figure out from your post if that was a stateroom that is included in the quarantine area.  Would you mind checking that out for me, please?

also, when we were on NS pre-Covid, there were wine tastings done in Club Orange, are they still doing that?

We did get an invite to wine tasting but we don't like the dry wines that they usually serve so we didn't go.  Don't remember the location but yes it did happen on our first sea day.  When get a chance later I will see if I can get to 4046 and let you know.  I know that the section between the center and aft elevators on deck 4 is closed but don't know about the area forward of the center elevators.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

We did get an invite to wine tasting but we don't like the dry wines that they usually serve so we didn't go.  Don't remember the location but yes it did happen on our first sea day.  When get a chance later I will see if I can get to 4046 and let you know.  I know that the section between the center and aft elevators on deck 4 is closed but don't know about the area forward of the center elevators.

Thank you.   I do wonder why they have closed off midships.  I think when we were on Eurodam it was just the forward section of deck 4, which they could close off with the watertight doors.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

head for the World stage to see Cantare'.  We have been on over half of the HAL ships with 35 cruises and yet had never encountered this group before yet they said there first time on a HAL ship was 10 years ago.   It was 4 male singers with great voices,

They were aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam during her first season and performed at her dedication ceremony.  Their performance was the best that I have seen on a ship.

19 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

Our cabin steward Putu notified us that with this cruise that they will only be servicing the cabins one time a day and asked if we wanted morning of evening. 

In the current issue of Cruise Industry News, the Vice-President Hotel and Food and Beverage, Mr. Frits van der Werff, discusses changes to the hotel operation on HAL ships and mentions the one day service for staterooms that has been instituted.  He added that if the guest wants twice a day service, that will be done as well.  It's the choice of the guest.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

They were aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam during her first season and performed at her dedication ceremony.  Their performance was the best that I have seen on a ship.

In the current issue of Cruise Industry News, the Vice-President Hotel and Food and Beverage, Mr. Frits van der Werff, discusses changes to the hotel operation on HAL ships and mentions the one day service for staterooms that has been instituted.  He added that if the guest wants twice a day service, that will be done as well.  It's the choice of the guest.  

Yes - We asked for fresh towels and ice at night and they are taking care of us just fine.

• Like 4

Just now, iflyrc5 said:

Yes - We asked for fresh towels and ice at night and they are taking care of us just fine.

Good to know that what the Vice-President said ought to happen is, indeed, happening.  Best wishes for a safe and pleasant cruise.  

• Like 1

Thank you for your posts.  I'm surprised to hear that masks are still required on the dance floor yet they are having guests share dining tables with strangers?  Are people expected to keep their masks on at their tables in MDR too?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ehge80 said:

Thank you for your posts.  I'm surprised to hear that masks are still required on the dance floor yet they are having guests share dining tables with strangers?  Are people expected to keep their masks on at their tables in MDR too?

This is where I get so confused about wearing and not wearing masks. Wear them dancing with your partner. Wear them to walk into the MDR. Then take them off when you sit down for a meal with folks you have never seen before. 

• Like 3

So Ted, I want to ask about your internet package. I have it “free” for my first leg, and oddly, not on my second leg. Being 5*, I know we get a bit of a discount on the purchase on board, but I also recall I got a discount for purchasing before I boarded, although I don’t remember how much. Did you look at that before deciding to book aboard?  I also can’t remember if I can “transfer” any SBC from leg one to leg two (It may happen, since drinks and tips are covered)?

wear your masks, wash your hands, but enjoy your time! You also need to share what Barb is doing, inquiring minds want to know about crosswords, sudoku…

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ehge80 said:

No not required to keep them on when not eating but we did.  It was a long table for 8 so the 3 sat at one end and we sat at the other end.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 10:56 PM, Vict0riann said:

As of now 4046 is in the quarantine zone - basically everything forward of the aft elevator is blocked off but who knows what it will be like in July.  Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

As of now 4046 is in the quarantine zone - basically everything forward of the aft elevator is blocked off but who knows what it will be like in July.  Good luck.

Oh, pooh!  We had had a similar stateroom on Koningsdam and enjoyed it.  We may decide to get the Club Orange and hope for a good upgrade.  I'm going to be on the lookout for a sale!  (I do have a feeling these quarantine areas are going to be around for a while.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Oh, pooh!  We had had a similar stateroom on Koningsdam and enjoyed it.  We may decide to get the Club Orange and hope for a good upgrade.  I'm going to be on the lookout for a sale!  (I do have a feeling these quarantine areas are going to be around for a while.)

We bought Club Orange for this Dec on the Nieuw Statendam.  Price was $25/person/day for 1st two in room or $300 total for the week.

We had actually booked a V-category cabin then read about Club Orange's within-category cabin upgrade option.  We called HAL to discuss options.  They allowed us to downgrade to a VH (similar to what you are booked in), buy Club Orange, then upgrade back to the same V cabin originally booked.  The deal was great.  We got the same cabin we originally booked but at a savings of $60 off the original booking price, meaning we essentially get Club Orange for free.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

St Lucia - Feb 6 - Sunny and low 80s.  The ship arrived early and was cleared before the scheduled arrival time of 8am.  Most times in St Lucia we have used the pier across from the town near the airport where there are some shops and a couple bars but today we used the more industrial pier in the center of town.  I believe the reason was that the RC Anthem of the Seas  and a smaller Regent ship so we got the town pier.  Today the When and Where and the announcements said that you needed to either have a HAL tour or take a govt approved taxi although I believe that you could also just get off and walk the area however, being a Sunday not much is open.  They said that you were to have our temperature taken, wear a wrist band and required to wear a mask while on shore.   We saw many folks getting off and doing tours but since we have been here many times decided to stay on board and enjoy the empty ship - it wasn't exactly as others had the same idea but there were only a couple people using the gym around noon and just a very few at the sea view pool until about 2pm.  All aboard was at 3:30  and we were underway before 4pm.   As is normal for this port we sailed down the coast to Soufriere Bay after leaving port and the ship did some station keeping and rotations off the Pitons for everyone to get a good look and then by about 6pm headed south on our way to Barbados.  We ate in the MDR today at 5:30 and no trouble getting a table for 2 by the window.  The World Stage tonight had the Step on Dance Company presenting Musicology at 7:30 (estimate about 70% full) and immediately following was Jim David with his comedy in the BB King lounge at 8:15 which was again full with standing room.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 2/4/2022 at 1:34 PM, iflyrc5 said:

On the ship we went up the center elevator to deck 4 and found out that from that area aft to the rear elevators is the Covid quarantine area and maybe also on deck 5 so we had to go up to 6 - walk back to the rear elevators then down to 4 and we were good to go.  There are 12 balcony cabins on our side from the rear elevators to the back and only 5 cabins have people (don't have anyone on either side) and I have seen anyone in the inside cabins. 

Thanks for your live post....these are my favorite to read.     Do have a question for you regarding the quarantine rooms on deck 4.    We sail on April 3rd, and have an aft facing balcony on deck 4 and I was wondering if the aft facing rooms are part of the designated quarantine rooms?   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Thanks for your live post....these are my favorite to read.     Do have a question for you regarding the quarantine rooms on deck 4.    We sail on April 3rd, and have an aft facing balcony on deck 4 and I was wondering if the aft facing rooms are part of the designated quarantine rooms?   

No, everything aft of the aft elevators is open but all the cabins forward of the aft elevators are currently in the blocked off area.

• Thanks 1