iflyrc5 Almost Live from the Nieuw Statendam - Feb 2 - Mar 16 (we hope)

iflyrc5

20 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

We bought Club Orange for this Dec on the Nieuw Statendam.  Price was $25/person/day for 1st two in room or $300 total for the week.

We had actually booked a V-category cabin then read about Club Orange's within-category cabin upgrade option.  We called HAL to discuss options.  They allowed us to downgrade to a VH (similar to what you are booked in), buy Club Orange, then upgrade back to the same V cabin originally booked.  The deal was great.  We got the same cabin we originally booked but at a savings of $60 off the original booking price, meaning we essentially get Club Orange for free.

I would like Club Orange for our cruise, just as a test, but I'd prefer $15 pp/pd, as it's 19 days.  @iflyrc5, if you wouldn't mind, could you check the chairs in Club Orange?  I seem to remember it is more comfortable seating than on Koningsdam, there the chairs had bamboo-like arms and back that dug into you, I seem to remember that NS had nicer, better-upholstered seating?

I emailed our PCC this morning to see what our options are.  Our cruise is on the current promo, so we'll see what is the best deal.  Thanks for all the information and advice!  I do envy you your cruise...

• Like 1

We will be looking forward to your info. 
it might make me feel warmer while I pack. 
We are driving to Ft Lauderdale from Northern Indiana. It’s great not to weigh the suitcases   
Hope to meet you on our cruise beginning February 23, 2022. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I would like Club Orange for our cruise, just as a test, but I'd prefer $15 pp/pd, as it's 19 days.  @iflyrc5, if you wouldn't mind, could you check the chairs in Club Orange?  I seem to remember it is more comfortable seating than on Koningsdam, there the chairs had bamboo-like arms and back that dug into you, I seem to remember that NS had nicer, better-upholstered seating?

I emailed our PCC this morning to see what our options are.  Our cruise is on the current promo, so we'll see what is the best deal.  Thanks for all the information and advice!  I do envy you your cruise...

We walked past Club Orange after eating in the MDR.  The chairs have wooden rail backs and sides, kind of barrel like with a cushioned seat.  The forward half of the club are standard height tables and chairs and the aft half are taller tables with taller chairs but the backs are all the same.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Barbados - Feb 7 - partly sunny with temps in mid 80s and 15mph breeze.  We were the only cruise ship in port today.  In the when and where we were told that we would have to take a HAL tour of govt approved taxi but when the CD did her announcements she said that we were free to go off into town with not restrictions.  We waited until abut 1030 to get off.  We were backed right into the basin so it was a very short walk into the terminal.  They had a temp scanner, hand sanitizer and required masks in the terminal.  Most of the shops were open and happy to see us.  We walked into town along the water front and into the downtown area.  Lots of people out in the streets with most everyone wearing masks.  After about an 90 minutes walked back to the ship. Stopped at the bar just outside the entrance and had a drink then purchased a couple bottles of vanilla to take home.  Back on the ship for lunch then to the pool.  We were in the MDR tonight and had Prime Rib which was very good and baked Alaska for desert. Tonight on the World Stage was the Cantare' singers again doing "Timeless" and they are excellent.  When we got back to the cabin we had a towel animal and chocolates - this is 2 nights in a row so it appears that the evening service has returned.  Overall another great day on a DAM ship and on our way to Grenada which is a alternate port having replaced Martinique.  The When and Where is giving the same report about HAL tours and Govt approved taxi so we will just have to wait and see in the morning.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

We walked past Club Orange after eating in the MDR.  The chairs have wooden rail backs and sides, kind of barrel like with a cushioned seat.  The forward half of the club are standard height tables and chairs and the aft half are taller tables with taller chairs but the backs are all the same.  Hope this helps.

That sounds like the uncomfortable ones on the Koningsdam.  Are they like these?

IMG_8006.thumb.JPG.33338fba585982e653aac5e680e2a0f1.JPG

• Like 1

Ted,  the next time we cruise together, I'll collect my royalty for the use of the "Almost Live".  😉

Nice reporting.  We really enjoyed Cantare and the comedy club was always packed on our cruises as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

Yes - those are the chairs in Club Orange in the NS.

Yeah, it's too bad they aren't like the new design in the Rotterdam's Club Orange (below).

I read it's because the Koningsdam's Club Orange started life as America's Test Kitchen but was so popular and overcrowded they repurposed the space into Club Orange.  That's probably why they have all the monitors above the kitchen area...to let you see overhead camera shots of the test kitchen.  The furnishings were what were fitted out for the Test Kitchen so that's why they have more of a kitchen dining look.  Nieuw Statendam was too far into construction to change the design so it has the Test Kitchen look too.  They had the chance to redesign the room and furnishings on the Rotterdam to make it look more luxurious.  I wouldn't be surprised if this will be the Club Orange look on the K and NS after they go through their next drydocks.

RotPla-99111-1636231473.webp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Ted,  the next time we cruise together, I'll collect my royalty for the use of the "Almost Live".  😉

Nice reporting.  We really enjoyed Cantare and the comedy club was always packed on our cruises as well.

OK - I will buy you a beer - looking forward to sailing with you again in the future.

• Like 1

St George's, Grenada - Feb 8 - 85 and sunny with winds about 15.   It was a short sail overnight from Barbados to Grenada so we arrived early around 7am but the ship was not cleared until closer to 8am.  The announcement was made that to go anywhere you needed to  be on a HAL tour or a government approved taxi. We had our breakfast out around the Sea View Pool where there are lots of table in the shade - this has become our location for breakfast and lunch. I like it as it is the closest area to the omelet station for breakfast.😁  After breakfast I finished my Clive Cussler book and so about 10:30 decided to get off the ship and go into the terminal. There was a bar there with lots of shops and a few taxi drivers offering tours.  They were not pushy at all.  We talked to one about a beach trip and he gave us his card with his email address so on our visit here in 3 weeks we may take him to go for a beach day.  We did a little shopping and with Grenada being the spice island there was lot of different spices for sale along with the usual island items. Everyone was required to wear a mask in the building.  We got to the end of the terminal and talked to the security guard and the only way we could leave the building is if we had a local guide.  It was interesting that locals and hotel guests staying on the island were free to come and go.  Got to spend about a half hour in the terminal talking to Bill and Mary Ann that are also doing the blog on the cruise. Back to the ship for lunch about 12:45.  Then some reading and out to the center lido pool to swim and watch the movie Cry Macho on the big screen.  The center pool is not as deep as the sea view pool so to those of us that sink, rather can float have a much better time in this pool.  I will also add that as opposed to the KDam the NS has the steps entering the shallow end and not the deep end.  Ready for a shower - will update tonight's activities later.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

Yeah, it's too bad they aren't like the new design in the Rotterdam's Club Orange (below).

Your photo depicts what an "up scale" dining venue ought to appear to be as compared to what Nieuw Statendam's is.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

St George's, Grenada - Feb 8 - 85 and sunny with winds about 15.   It was a short sail overnight from Barbados to Grenada so we arrived early around 7am but the ship was not cleared until closer to 8am.  The announcement was made that to go anywhere you needed to  be on a HAL tour or a government approved taxi. We had our breakfast out around the Sea View Pool where there are lots of table in the shade - this has become our location for breakfast and lunch. I like it as it is the closest area to the omelet station for breakfast.😁  After breakfast I finished my Clive Cussler book and so about 10:30 decided to get off the ship and go into the terminal. There was a bar there with lots of shops and a few taxi drivers offering tours.  They were not pushy at all.  We talked to one about a beach trip and he gave us his card with his email address so on our visit here in 3 weeks we may take him to go for a beach day.  We did a little shopping and with Grenada being the spice island there was lot of different spices for sale along with the usual island items. Everyone was required to wear a mask in the building.  We got to the end of the terminal and talked to the security guard and the only way we could leave the building is if we had a local guide.  It was interesting that locals and hotel guests staying on the island were free to come and go.  Got to spend about a half hour in the terminal talking to Bill and Mary Ann that are also doing the blog on the cruise. Back to the ship for lunch about 12:45.  Then some reading and out to the center lido pool to swim and watch the movie Cry Macho on the big screen.  The center pool is not as deep as the sea view pool so to those of us that sink, rather can float have a much better time in this pool.  I will also add that as opposed to the KDam the NS has the steps entering the shallow end and not the deep end.  Ready for a shower - will update tonight's activities later.

Here is the rest of the story on Feb 8.  The World Stage show tonight was listed as The Step One Dance Company presents Off the Charts - it turned out to be a combination show with the 2 singers from the Bill Board on Board, the lead female singer from BB King and the Dance company combining their talents for a high energy show of singing and dancing with  many popular songs from the 60s - 80s.  The singers were a little difficult to hear but the dancers did a great job and the 270 degree screen came alive during much of the show.  The show was not done until 8:17 and by the time we rushed down to the BB King to listen the comedian, Keith Bender it was already an SRO crowd.  He was pretty good and we enjoyed his routine except about half way through the show several totally obnoxious folks show up and stand in front of people already there and in seats totally blocking their view.  Some people just don't have any consideration of others.  Tonight we are running at 20 knots on our way to the Port of St Kitts.  It is a long run and we won't be arriving until 10am.  There was nothing in tonight's When and Where about limitations on going out and about so we will just need to see if that changes tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Your photo depicts what an "up scale" dining venue ought to appear to be as compared to what Nieuw Statendam's is.  

I totally agree with you. Rotterdam's isn't super high end looking but certainly is more upscale and comfortable looking than the kitchen look of the Koningsdam's and Nieuw Statendam's Orange Club.  I don't mind that Test Kitchen look, the Rotterdam's look is just more designed for a dining experience than the Test Kitchen's viewing and food tasting experience.

On the other hand, the food and service quality is far more important to me than the look and feel of the furnishings so I'm quite happy with either look.  I think most everyone has had outstanding food/service in rather sketchy restaurants and poor food/service at upscale restaurants.

• Like 4

iflyrc5 - Thanks for your posts!  If you want to go up to the Retreat Cabana (8AM-5PM, but you could go before or after for my question) and take detailed inside photos of one of two two family cabanas (one is in each corner) and email them to me ( janet AT haskett DOT org ) that would be great. 5 of my sisters and I will be on the NS for 14 days next year and I need to reserve 3 2-pax cabanas OR 1 family cabana and one 2-pax one. It depends on how many chaise lounges (and type of chaise lounges) are inside the family cabana. If you don’t have a camera/smart phone, ignore this question. Thanks in advance!!

Janet

janet AT haskett DOT org

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LadyVol1 said:

iflyrc5 - Thanks for your posts!  If you want to go up to the Retreat Cabana (8AM-5PM, but you could go before or after for my question) and take detailed inside photos of one of two two family cabanas (one is in each corner) and email them to me ( janet AT haskett DOT org ) that would be great. 5 of my sisters and I will be on the NS for 14 days next year and I need to reserve 3 2-pax cabanas OR 1 family cabana and one 2-pax one. It depends on how many chaise lounges (and type of chaise lounges) are inside the family cabana. If you don’t have a camera/smart phone, ignore this question. Thanks in advance!!

Janet

janet AT haskett DOT org

The family cabanas on the Pinnacle class ships have 2 chaise lounges and 2 "sit up" chairs (like sitting in a restaurant chair).  On the Rotterdam in December we had them remove those 2 chairs and there was just enough room to drag a 3rd chaise lounge in there.  No way could you get 4 people relaxing comfortably on chaises in there.  In fact, on my next Nieuw Statendam cruise I have a family cabana booked for 2 of us.  It's a shame they're so much smaller than on the older ships.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nanlaur said:

Though with all the ships sinking in his books, that might be a strange choice 😆

When the Amsterdam was sailing in New Zealand/Australian waters, I finally found a book at the Australian Maritime Museum in Sydney concerning the accident/sinking of the Mikhail Lermontov near New Zealand.  Reading it in such an area, I almost wondered if I ought to cover it with some type of covering like many of us did with our college textbooks.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Basseterre, St Kitts - Feb 9 - low 80s - cloudy - sunny - showers - repeat.  Today was one of those typical Caribbean days where one minute the sun was out and the next minute we had a shower - then cloudy.  We arrived around 0945 with a strong wind on our port stern quarter and it took quite a while for the Capt to get the NS turned around and backed into port along the pier.  I have noticed that he likes to have the ship in a position to just pull straight out when it is time to leave.  There were to other smaller cruise ships already in port and one anchored out that did not seem to have passengers but it was too far out and I could not see the name.  We waited until about 1130 to get off and walk into the port area.  We were able to walk freely here without a HAL tour or approved taxi however there were signs everywhere that masks were required outside and in the stores and it would stay that 99% of people including locals were in compliance.  Another interesting feature is that many of the stores had device at the door that dispensed hand sanitizer and read your body temperature automatically and would then give an audible indication that your temperature was normal.  This is something that I have never seen in the USA.  It was easy and quick and I wish we had them in our stores in Indiana.   Anyway - we walked through the shopping areas and out to the main street but it at the point one of the several rain showers was going through so we turned around and made our way back.   Made a stop one of the stores and bought a really nice tropical shirt for $12.   Back on the ship for lunch.  We had not tried a pizza yet from the NY Deli so used the Navigator APP to place our order for a Bronx pizza.  The order went through fine and said it was processing.  After 15 minutes it was still showing as processing and since it not busy I went up to check it was ready to go. When I got back to our table the app started buzzing saying the order was ready.  I guess I will need to check this out again to figure out the process.  Anyway - the pizza was very good.   Then some reading time around the pool - then some pool time - the water was much cooler than yesterday (Kathi it was a 2 today) then more reading then shower and off to the MDR about 6pm.  No trouble getting a table for 2 at 6pm tonight.  Since we had a late arrival we also had a later departure and pulled lines about 6:45 and on our way to St Thomas.  DW had the breaded lemon sole and I had the beef Wellington and both were excellent then a brownie cheese cake for desert that was really good.  The World Stage tonight had and EXC talk called Island of the Minds and it was a video/live presentation about Jimmy Buffet, Hemingway, and Ian Fleming and their ties to the Caribbean.  Again using the features of the big screen.  Leaving the show at 8:15 the music walk venues were rather empty compared to other nights - maybe folks getting tired after all the consecutive port days.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas, US Virgin Islands - Feb 10 - Sunny with a few passing showers and 80s with a breeze of about 10mph.   When we arrived at 0830 we were the only ship at the port and a Celebrity ship arrived later in the morning.  We were cleared by 0840 and guests started getting off for their tours.  We had breakfast at around 0900 then some time for reading and left the ship to walk around about 1045.  The NS was tied up at the very far end of the pier so it was a rather long walk to get down to the gate.  We walked along the pier until it ended in the Marina at the end and then out to the street.  It was getting rather warm and with not much breeze on shore we decided to head back looking for the KMart (yes KMart - they are all closed in Indiana but they have on here in St Thomas and it was very busy) that we visited on a previous trip.  It is a block off the main street outside the port - go right at the light where there is a Wendy's.  We walked around some in the air conditioning, bought 2 cold diet Cokes to drink on the way back to the ship.  Walked through the shop area on the way back and got to the ship about 1245.  Stopped at the Dutch Cafe' on the way to the cabin one of their giant cookies and the apple pie for our lunch desert.  Hit the Asian  for some lunch then spent the afternoon out by the sea view pool in the sunny/clouds/showers reading. Dinner in the MDR tonight - they had "Almond Chicken Fingers" as one of the appetizer tonight which is one of my favorite so I asked if I could have that as my main course - they brought out a big plate with about a dozen for me - as an appetizer you got 3 and they were excellent.  Tonight on the World Stage is the movie Dune so instead of doing that we are going to the BBKing lounge at 2015 for the Secret Identities Game and then staying for the comedian, Keith Bender.   Tomorrow, Friday is a sea day as we make our way back north stopping at Half Moon Cay before arriving back at Ft Lauderdale for our turnaround day.  Tomorrow is also our CT or Covid Test Day.  We are to report to the dining room at 0930 to be tested and then go to our cabin - we don't get a call in 30 minutes we are negative and good for the next ten day cruise to keeping everything crossed that we are good to go.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, 510picker said:

We are scheduled to be on the April 6th for an 11 day cruise. Received an email today saying due to azipod issues, our cruise has been cut down to 9 days and now leaves April 8th. Have you heard any reports of azipod issues while onboard? 

Nothing - we are running along at 19 knots headed for HMC.  Are you on the NS?  I read that one of the other HAL ships was having pod issues.   I have seen the Capt in the lido several times - if I see him again I will ask.

• Like 1