iflyrc5 Almost Live from the Nieuw Statendam - Feb 2 - Mar 16 (we hope)

iflyrc5

Amber Cove, Dominican Republic - Sunday - Feb 20 - low 80s - sunny - lite winds.  We arrived today at 0800 and when looking out the sky was clearing but the decks and pier were wet so there had been rain earlier.  All aboard is not until 1730 so after breakfast we did a little reading and then headed our to the large pool area at the port about 1100.   I walked around shops area a little and up the hill to the bar/lookout area while Bard headed directly to the pool.  We stayed at the pool until about 1230 then walked back to the ship for lunch then back to the pool area until about 1600.  We were the only ship in port and with many guests doing tours there were probably less than 50 people around the pool area all day.  The ship departed about 1800.  With all the sun and pool time we decided to have dinner in the lido and head up there about 1830.  Shortly after we got to the lido the Captain came on the PA and said that because of a medical emergency we were turning around to disembark a passenger.  We got turned around - off loaded the passenger then back on our way to the next port, Grand Turk by about 2000,  Since the next port is only about 110 miles we will be arriving on time at 0800 and we also move our clocks back an hour to go back to EST tonight.  Tomorrow is also our next Covid test so we can continue on the next segment - go to the World Stage at 1500 to be tested and then the 30 wait again for test results.

DSCN0822.JPG

DSCN0839.JPG

DSCN0883.JPG

DSCN0897.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

@iflyrc5

Was the music by the pool blaring loudly?  We were there earlier this past week (on Rotterdam) along with a Carnival ship and I went over towards the pool area but you couldn't hear yourself think so skipped it.  We've been there on prior cruises but the music was so loud that we left.  Just wondering if the music level was a little more tolerable for you.  We like the pool but not the loud music.

Linda R.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

@iflyrc5

Was the music by the pool blaring loudly?  We were there earlier this past week (on Rotterdam) along with a Carnival ship and I went over towards the pool area but you couldn't hear yourself think so skipped it.  We've been there on prior cruises but the music was so loud that we left.  Just wondering if the music level was a little more tolerable for you.  We like the pool but not the loud music.

Linda R.

We had our Roll Call meet and greet there Day 1  ( 2/14) and it wasn't annoying.  Everyone has different perception though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

We had our Roll Call meet and greet there Day 1  ( 2/14) and it wasn't annoying.  Everyone has different perception though. 

I totally realize that about perception.  Were you the only ship in that day?  When we were there last week with Carnival, we could hear them shouting to drink, drink...loud sirens going off...and this was when we were back onboard, way out on the dock on the ship.  Typical stuff for the Carnival crowd.  To each his own; we just prefer not to deal with that.   I've always been an "old" soul...liking quiet I guess.  I started sailing HAL in my late 30's and fell in love with it! 😎

Linda R.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

@iflyrc5

Linda R.

I assume you are asking about the Amber Cover pool.  No the music was not too loud at all.  We were the only ship and lot of people on tours so very few people around the pool area.  We swam/floated just out from the bar and I would not call it loud at all.  If you were over on the other side by the restrooms you could not even hear the music.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StartrainDD said:

Enjoying your reports!  We board the day you leave, so sorry we will miss you.

Just wondering, this is a last-minute booking for us, so no beverage package, etc.  Are the daily Happy Hours being offered?

Thank you!

Today's When and Where has a 4pm happy hour at the Billboard on Board and Ocean Bar and at 5pm in the Rolling Stone Rock Room.   I think they have also been having some specials at other times during the day.  We don't drink much so don't roll that too much.

Just now, iflyrc5 said:

Today's When and Where has a 4pm happy hour at the Billboard on Board and Ocean Bar and at 5pm in the Rolling Stone Rock Room.   I think they have also been having some specials at other times during the day.  We don't drink much so don't roll that too much.

Thank you!  We will buy a wine package with our mariner discount, but I occasionally like to have a cocktail.  That sounds perfect!

• Like 1

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos.  Monday Feb 21, sunny - low 80s.  Arrived at 0800 and ship was quickly cleared.  We stayed on until about 1000 then got off and walked about the port a little before heading out to the beach.  Saw a nice display about John Glenn and his orbital flight landing in the ocean near Grand Turk.  Walked do the beach looking for the little bar what we usually went to but it was a pile of rubble with only the roof still there.  I found that owner had setup shop a little closer to the port and still had cheap local been and conch fritters.  Could not understand what he told me about what had happened to the building.  Instead of swimming off the beach we used the pool area at the Margaritaville complex which is very similar to the pool area at Amber Cove.  Did our Covid test at 1500 with no call to the room so we are good to go for another 11 day segment.  Tomorrow is Half Moon Cay the back to Ft Lauderdale.

20220221_131557.jpg

DSCN0957.JPG

DSCN0941.JPG

DSCN1003.JPG

DSCN0937.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

@iflyrc5

Could you possibly report back on how condiments are currently being dispensed at Dive-In?

TYIA

Ketchup and mustard are given to you in little ceramic cups.  It is the same in the lido and there they also have bottles of various "stuff" in the Asian station.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Ketchup and mustard are given to you in little ceramic cups.  It is the same in the lido and there they also have bottles of various "stuff" in the Asian station.

2 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

Add relish to that...just had it Saturday on the Rotterdam.

Linda R.

Thanks!

• Like 1

@iflyrc5 I'm enjoying your reporting and pictures!  The pier at Grand Turk looks like a long walk to the entrance.  Did they offer any type of shuttle/pedi cab/golf cart to help mobility challenged people get back and forth to the ship?  I know some ports do, which will be a great help to me until I get my new knee next year!!

Thanks,

~Nancy

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oakridger said:

@iflyrc5 I'm enjoying your reporting and pictures!  The pier at Grand Turk looks like a long walk to the entrance.  Did they offer any type of shuttle/pedi cab/golf cart to help mobility challenged people get back and forth to the ship?  I know some ports do, which will be a great help to me until I get my new knee next year!!

Thanks,

~Nancy

They did not have anything sort of transportation at Grand Turk but it is really not that long of a walk - they used  the forward gangway on the ship which made it a little closer.  At Amber Cover they have guys on bikes offering rides for a tip as that pier is probably twice as long at Grand Turk.

• Like 2

Half Moon Cay - Tuesday - Feb 22 - Sunny - low 80s - winds about 15.  We arrived at HALs private island, Half Moon Cay at 0800 and the tendering process started almost immediately.  Not a lot of people heading over early.  We had a late breakfast then got to the tender (they were using the large shore tenders) about 1030 for the short ride into the island.  Seemed like some guests did not go ashore today even though it was a perfect beach day.  We hit the water for about and hour then up to the BBQ for a burger, Barb had the fish tacos.  Back to the beach and the water then caught the tender at 1400 back to the ship.  The last tender was scheduled for 1430 and about 1500 a quick shower passed over the ship but everyone was back on board and we were getting ready to pull anchor and head back to Ft Lauderdale.  Tonight was the Culinary Council Menu.  Barb had the Halibut and said it was excellent.  The World Stage had the Cantare' group doing the Timeless show.  We had seen it before but it was excellent so went back to see it again.  Arrival Wednesday at Ft Lauderdale at 0700.  We will see if they have worked out the turn around day problems that we had last time.

DSCN1027.JPG

DSCN1036.JPG

20220222_181813.jpg

20220222_181844.jpg

20220222_181851.jpg

20220222_181853.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Ft Lauderdale - Wednesday Feb 23 - sunny - 80 and not much wind.  Today was our turn around day in FLL before our 11 day cruise to the eastern Caribbean.  The ship arrived at 0700 and the call for self debark was given at 0741 with the last group being called about 0845.   Our meeting time for the in-transit was 0915 and as usual some people did not show up until 0930.  The process was much smoother this time than last time.  Jeff from the HAL shore team came on board - explained everything and all went smoothly.  They used the facial recognition machines (there were 4) so getting the 190 of us through in the terminal went quickly and we were back on the ship by 1000.  Today at pier 21 was the largest cruise ship in the world - the Royal Caribbean Wonder of the Seas.  It can carry almost 7000 guests and 2300 crew. There was also a 317 foot yacht at the pier behind us at pier 26 today. Sail away was right on time at 1600 and from talking to the crew we are again at about 900 guests.  We had dinner in the Tamarind again tonight - the filet is really good.  I noticed in looking at When and Where for tomorrow which is a sea day that they will now be doing 2 shows in the World Stage - one at 1900 and one at 2100.

20220223_115226.jpg

20220223_102031.jpg

20220223_162058.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2