Covid test positive, so no cruise, but not sick?

39august

If I or husband test positive for covid 2 days prior to boarding a cruise, thus are denied boarding,  would our trip cancellation insurance  cover as if we were sick, even tho' asymptomatic? This is after the cruise line's deadline for automatically refunding your cruise costs have expired, which they do April 30 this year. We generally buy cruise line insurance which does NOT exclude covid. 

15 minutes ago, 39august said:

If I or husband test positive for covid 2 days prior to boarding a cruise, thus are denied boarding,  would our trip cancellation insurance cover as if we were sick, even tho' asymptomatic? This is after the cruise line's deadline for automatically refunding your cruise costs have expired, which they do April 30 this year. We generally buy cruise line insurance which does NOT exclude covid. 

Hi 39august,

> would our trip cancellation insurance cover as if we were sick, even tho' asymptomatic?

Which exact policy did you buy?

Steve Dasseos

8 hours ago, 39august said:

We currently have Celebrity's Cruise Care.  Thanks for responding to my question. 

Hi 39august,

I'm not a travel agent so I don't know the details about Celebrity's Cruise Care. It's best to ask the person who sold Celebrity's Cruise Care to you.

Steve Dasseos

If the policy covers COVID, I expect that you’d have to confirm a positive test with a doctor’s diagnosis and orders not to travel because you would be denied boarding under current protocols and CDC guidance. 

Until that changes, a diagnosis disqualifies you from sailing and is a covered reason for cancellation even if you are asymptomatic. There is a period where you can spread the infection, and that is the point of the prohibition.

I’m not a travel agent or an insurance professional. I’m just trying to apply logic to the terms of the policy. If the person who sold it to you can’t explain it, try calling the company for clarification.

There are probably many people who would like to know the answer as cruise line assistance plans expire.

• Thanks 1

Hi 39august,

After reading Babr's reply, I believe I missed the gist of what you were asking. I have a followup question: You said "We generally buy cruise line insurance which does NOT exclude covid."

Does the Celebrity Cruise Care plan you bought cover Covid?

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

I have some thoughts and hope that Steve will add his professional comments.  Most cruise lines, including Celebrity, have special policies in place for COVID.  Celebrity says (on its web site) that they will provide a 100% refund for those who test positive for COVID during the 14 day period prior to a cruise (for cruises sailing prior to April 30, 2022).   One should read the fine print since it is specific as to the circumstances of the actual test.  Most folks will not accept an unproctored home test (such as the free home tests distributed by the US Government).  So one should generally get a medically supervised test that meets the written criteria specified by their cruise line (and airline).  What Celebrity will do for cruises after April 30, 2022, is a good question and I guess folks will need to wait and see.

So we then get to the issue of Travel/Trip insurance (of which I am no expert).  Insurance companies will generally not pay a claim unless there is a demonstrated loss.  So if the cruise line does issue a 100% refund it is very unlikely that any normal travel insurance would add to this payment (unless it is clearly specified in the policy).  It also gets interesting with air since most (not all) airlines will issue a refund or voucher (for future air) if one cannot fly due to testing positive for COVID.  So again, most insurance companies will not pay out if the airline has provided a refund/credit.  

So the OP would not likely have much financial loss if they did test positive prior to the cruise.  

Hank

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I have some thoughts and hope that Steve will add his professional comments.  Most cruise lines, including Celebrity, have special policies in place for COVID.  Celebrity says (on its web site) that they will provide a 100% refund for those who test positive for COVID during the 14 day period prior to a cruise (for cruises sailing prior to April 30, 2022).   One should read the fine print since it is specific as to the circumstances of the actual test.  Most folks will not accept an unproctored home test (such as the free home tests distributed by the US Government).  So one should generally get a medically supervised test that meets the written criteria specified by their cruise line (and airline).  What Celebrity will do for cruises after April 30, 2022, is a good question and I guess folks will need to wait and see.

So we then get to the issue of Travel/Trip insurance (of which I am no expert).  Insurance companies will generally not pay a claim unless there is a demonstrated loss.  So if the cruise line does issue a 100% refund it is very unlikely that any normal travel insurance would add to this payment (unless it is clearly specified in the policy).  It also gets interesting with air since most (not all) airlines will issue a refund or voucher (for future air) if one cannot fly due to testing positive for COVID.  So again, most insurance companies will not pay out if the airline has provided a refund/credit.  

So the OP would not likely have much financial loss if they did test positive prior to the cruise.  

Hank

Agree that no insurance company will pay a claim if the cruise line issues a 100% refund. The OP’s question contained the qualifier that she was concerned if the policy would pay for asymptomatic cancellation after the cruise line’s refund policy expired.

I contend that it will because a doctor’s diagnosis and orders not to travel would satisfy the requirement for an illness that requires quarantine or one that keeps the patient from traveling on medical advice. Being symptomatic is not the criteria. Being able to transmit a highly contagious infection is.

10 minutes ago, Babr said:

Agree that no insurance company will pay a claim if the cruise line issues a 100% refund. The OP’s question contained the qualifier that she was concerned if the policy would pay for asymptomatic cancellation after the cruise line’s refund policy expired.

I contend that it will because a doctor’s diagnosis and orders not to travel would satisfy the requirement for an illness that requires quarantine or one that keeps the patient from traveling on medical advice. Being symptomatic is not the criteria. Being able to transmit a highly contagious infection is.

Perhaps the big question is whether cruise lines (and airlines) will continue to extend their current generous COVID-related policies....and for how long?   If they fail to extend the current policies they run the risk of many folks turning to other travel options.  As to insurance, one can usually find a policy to meet most needs/wants but lots of folks will not want to pay the cost.  Many will either turn to other travel options or simply wait until the last minute (inside the final payment period) to book cruises if the bookings include some kind of COVID-related guarantee.  Most cruise ships are still operating way below their capacity so there is pressure on the cruise lines to create policies that will encourage more bookings.   I would not that we have recently seen some cancelations of future cruises which may well have been caused by soft bookings.

Hank

Indeed, it is a double-edged sword for the cruise lines. They need to encourage people to sail; but, at the same time, they can’t spend themselves into bankruptcy. I’m sure their accountants are looking closely at the cost/ benefit of their assistance plans.

Cruise line flexibility that allows for refunds, FCC, or rebooking seems reasonable. I’m not so sure about plans that pay all expenses related to a COVID diagnosis even to the extent of private jets for return transportation as Celebrity and Royal have done.

People may not want to take responsibility for themselves by paying for insurance, but the cost of those freebies will show up as increased fares and reduced services or perks.

• Thanks 1

Cruise Care does not exclude covid-19, therefore, I infer, that illness caused by covid is covered.  I was hoping Steve or some other knowledgeable person could answer this question, but perhaps, since this has not happened to anyone, and won't as long at the cruise lines guarantee refunds if so diagnosed, there is no known answer. I will just hope they move up the covid refund guarantee to the end of this year rather than expiring Sept. 30. 

Whether anyone has reported first-hand experience here does not change the answer. CruiseCare covers COVID as any other illness meaning that the policy provides for reimbursement if the illness is diagnosed by a physician at the time of cancellation.

• Thanks 2

On 2/8/2022 at 9:47 AM, FlightMedic555 said:

Many policies will not pay anything if a future cruise credit is provided.  They generally will only cover the cost of what is truly lost and a credit, for the cruise/hotel/air, is not considered lost.

This needs to be emphasized and applies not only to Future Cruise Credits but also to Airline Vouchers.  If this is a concern you must carefully read the policy (always a good idea) to see if this issue is addressed.  Otherwise I would strongly suggest calling Steve (tripinsurance.com) or another reputable travel insurance broker to find out if there are any policies that will reimburse even if FCCs are offered.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

This needs to be emphasized and applies not only to Future Cruise Credits but also to Airline Vouchers. 

Many have indicated in this forum insurance will nor reimburse you if you receive an airline voucher.  I filed a claim with Nationwide in March 2020.  They were willing to reimburse the airfare even though we received a voucher, as long as we certified we would not use them.  Here is the text from the form they sent us.  I'm not sure if the policy has changed, or if any other company has a similar policy. 

In order for us to complete your claim at this time, please find the following which should be signed and returned to our office.
Your airline tickets will have transferable value until one year from the original booking date. It is necessary for us to have a document in hand from you verifying that you do not plan to use the tickets as outlined below.
If this is agreeable to you and ____________ please sign this letter as indicated below and return the signed document to me at the address on this letterhead.

Agreement
The above noted parties agree that they do not plan to use the value of the tickets describe above by themselves or by transfer/sale to another party, and that these tickets should be considered null and void. Even so, should the listed tickets be used by anyone, all parties noted above agree to reimburse Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and affiliated companies the value of the used ticket/tickets paid by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company less any fees associated with reactivating the tickets for use (except fees for use of the tickets by another party not listed above as an original ticket holder). Based on this agreement, Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and affiliated companies agree to refund the full insured value of the tickets. Please note: Your signature on this agreement is not a guarantee of payment. All final claim determinations are subject to; but not limited to, the following: policy provisions, policy definitions, policy limitations, policy exclusions and member eligibility.

• Thanks 2