Self Administered PCR On Board

ALD18

2 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Sure we will. Another thread indicated that Vancouver port is hiring this week. If you embark in a Canadian port (Vancouver) and disembark in a Canadian port and fly home within Canada, currently there is no testing. We are still waiting from the government on this. The government isn’t going to make all guest (3,000 +) require a PCR test at disembarkment and if they do Alaska cruises will be cancelled. The chances of that happening is so slim.

I work at the port....they aren't hiring yet, just hosting a job fair and gathering interest. We are currently still running a vaccination clinic out of the port (which I also work at) but that is due to close on Feb 20th, which gives me some hope. They are planning for a cruise season but still have no definite decision. Our first ship in should be Caribbean Princess from San Diego - 4 day cruise so passengers would need to be PCR tested on ship? Not all cruises start/end in Canadian port but must travel through Canadian port. I agree, there would have to be exemptions to the rule but if they exempt cruise travellers then they just as well drop the whole thing for everyone! It' will be interesting to see what will transpire!

• Like 1

While those of us here are focussed on the testing requirements for the Alaska cruise season, a far greater number of people are now applying pressure to have the molecular test requirement dropped in time for the school March break. Quite frankly, I think that politicians from all parties are far more likely to pay attention to this broad voter base wanting a vacation without the cost of testing the entire family than they are to listening to comparatively small and elitist (their perception, not mine) cruise community. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Only if you don't visit a foreign port along the way. 

The government needs to address that and they will. They have rules for air and land but not cruise ships. In the USA for a example, a cruise leave Florida and stops at visits countries and when arriving back to the USA guest don’t require testing at disembarkment. However, to enter USA by air or land you need a negative antigen test. Trusting this government will take the same approach. 

Edited by DHP1

33 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

The government needs to address that and they will. They have rules for air and land but not cruise ships. In the USA for a example, a cruise leave Florida and stops at visits countries and when arriving back to the USA guest don’t require testing at disembarkment. However, to enter USA by air or land you need a negative antigen test. Trusting this government will take the same approach. 

OK, I agree, currently no testing because there is currently no cruising to or from Canadian ports. But Transport Canada already has the framework in place (https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-february-1-2022) and has already stated that "Additional details on testing will be provided through periodic updates to this document."

Like you, I'd like to see a model similar to that of the US, but at this point I'm wondering if the GOC would be willing to make any exceptions. I wonder if there isn't as good a chance that they'll drop the molecular test requirement for everyone as there is dropping it just for cruise passengers. As I said in another thread, pressure is coming from a broad spectrum of travellers, including those viewing molecular testing as an impediment to March break family vacations.