Self Administered PCR On Board

ALD18

Anyone used the self administered PCR tests while actually on board the ship?  Is the basic internet package sufficient to do the video link?  Or did you have to upgrade to a faster package to accommodate the video?  Pricing, timing, quick results, and convenience of the self administered test looks attractive.  Thanks.

Is the Switch PRC RT lamp acceptable for travel into Canada though? I've read a few articles that say the border won't accept them as they're not done in a US lab? 

Wish we could get some clarification.. Called Switch several times, they won't answer my question, they say I need to contact the border agency.

Any insight would be great

From what I am reading they are acceptable - there was one instance with someone crossing the border by car where it was questioned by a CBSA agent - but it was finally allowed - but otherwise seems to be 'successful' for most!

If I read the Switch Health page right the Lamp test is the one you can take with you while travelling before you come back to Canada.  The antigen to get out of country to those requiring it.  The RT-PCR for in Canada use.  Here is link I used:

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

Yes, I have done a ton of research and it doesn't seem clear they are being accepted, I want to test on the ship just in case we're positive and then royal has to take care of us.

Edited by jillyalex

Just got my Switch LAMP test today. I am going to do it on the ship with the upgraded internet. If I test positive Royal takes care of quarantine and transportation costs to get home. If the test malfunctions I have rapid antigen tests so I can test anyway and get Royal coverage if positive.  If negative plan B for PCR test is pier and/or airport.  

This testing is really frustrating.    I am in support of following public health measures but am increasingly having difficulty understanding the need for PCR testing at this point in the pandemic. 

• Like 6

Wow, It's a lot , heh! I'm thinking on the same lines as you.. I don't want to test once I'm off the ship as we won't have the Royal coverage. People don't seem to understand how complicated is now! I just got off the Navigator Jan 7th and the onboard testing was still available .. now different story. I just wish we could test onboard and pay for it.. When do you cruise?

I suppose you could utilize the data plan on your phone if/when you are close enough to shore to pick up a signal.  Or, wait until you dock disembark day and "linger" on board until you get tested and have results.  Response times with Switch Health's 24/7 test Centre would be your bottle neck timing wise.  We don't have an issue doing post cruise testing at the disembark location, just the jockeying to get the test compounded with normal disembark chaos.  We don't have flights home until following day which takes some timing issues away.  I still don't think feds are going to eliminate return home testing, but I would really like it to be pulled back to an antigen.  

• Like 1

We are going to try to use the Switch Health tests to come back from our Alaska cruise in May.  Figure we’ll do them on our last port day (night?) which is the Victoria stop, and use our data instead of trusting the ship wifi.  My mom lives just outside of Victoria, so we really have no need to get off the ship there…been there, done that…

If anyone uses the Lamp tests before May, please post back to this thread with your border crossing results.  🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WeExplore said:

This testing is really frustrating.    I am in support of following public health measures but am increasingly having difficulty understanding the need for PCR testing at this point in the pandemic. 

Right?  Especially since only a select group here in Ontario can get a PCR test, and I can guarantee lots are not going to pay for a rapid test.   So there's LOTS of people walking around d with covid who have no idea.

2 minutes ago, Halo19 said:

Right?  Especially since only a select group here in Ontario can get a PCR test, and I can guarantee lots are not going to pay for a rapid test.   So there's LOTS of people walking around d with covid who have no idea.

Not just Ontario.  I think most provinces now have restrictions on who can get a PCR test, some are more strict than other. It's frustrating. 

I am planning on the Switch Health test to return.  If there is an issue arriving in Canada, I will take the fine and contest it in court.  But from what I have read, there haven't been a ton of issues.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jillyalex said:

Wow, It's a lot , heh! I'm thinking on the same lines as you.. I don't want to test once I'm off the ship as we won't have the Royal coverage. People don't seem to understand how complicated is now! I just got off the Navigator Jan 7th and the onboard testing was still available .. now different story. I just wish we could test onboard and pay for it.. When do you cruise?

February 15 on the Enchantment leaving from Baltimore. Hoping all goes smoothly. This is my third cruise since October and so far all has gone well.  It is fabulous being on the ships with such low occupancy.  Not being able to get tested onboard is the only frustration this time. The last 2 cruises Royal provided the testing so it was stress free. 

I was on the Navigator at the same time as you! 

Just to summarize, I'm not worried about paying for testing on board, internet etc just need to be tested while still on the ship in order to have Royal pay for our Covid home & quarantine if needed. 

Hope by the time I sail again in March the covid rules have changed in Canada 🙂 

Love, Love cruising! Just want to plan my cruise not worry if I can get home again lol 

Cheers 

20 hours ago, WeExplore said:

Just got my Switch LAMP test today. I am going to do it on the ship with the upgraded internet. If I test positive Royal takes care of quarantine and transportation costs to get home. If the test malfunctions I have rapid antigen tests so I can test anyway and get Royal coverage if positive.  If negative plan B for PCR test is pier and/or airport.  

We have exactly the same plan for our upcoming Royal cruise. How long did it take to receive your LAMP kits in the mail? I’m holding off ordering these as long as possible since I need 4 kits for the family, hoping the re-entry requirements will change very soon.

2 hours ago, karebare22 said:

We have exactly the same plan for our upcoming Royal cruise. How long did it take to receive your LAMP kits in the mail? I’m holding off ordering these as long as possible since I need 4 kits for the family, hoping the re-entry requirements will change very soon.

I held off as long as I felt comfortable as well hoping that the government would at the very least change the requirement to an antigen test. It took 4 days to get my test. 

• Like 1

I also have the same plan if I end up going on my Virgin Voyages cruise in 2 weeks. I have agonized and flip-flopped over whether to go. Three tests = three chances to be positive. UGH. I ordered the PCR tests from Switch Health yesterday with expedited shipping so hoping they arrive before I leave on the 24th. Planning on doing the test on the ship and if it does end up being positive heading to medical centre for a ship test and then they should cover the extra days in Miami...hopefully. I can't believe we still have so many hoops to jump through as Canadians....

1 hour ago, ALD18 said:

My luck we'll spend the $300 for the 2 test kits, have them packed, and the feds will drop the PCR test requirements.  

I'm not going to lie, I've been hesitant to order ours for the same reason.  I need 3. 
I think the website said you can order the week before and they ship pretty quick.  So i'm waiting just a lllliiiiiiitttttttllllllleeeee longer. 

• Like 2

We have decided to go on Princess and Holland America as they both provide free PCR test for Canadians to return home. They are both good cruise lines and offer good food and service.  Too much stress to travel Celebrity and Royal. 

9 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I also have the same plan if I end up going on my Virgin Voyages cruise in 2 weeks. I have agonized and flip-flopped over whether to go. Three tests = three chances to be positive. UGH. I ordered the PCR tests from Switch Health yesterday with expedited shipping so hoping they arrive before I leave on the 24th. Planning on doing the test on the ship and if it does end up being positive heading to medical centre for a ship test and then they should cover the extra days in Miami...hopefully. I can't believe we still have so many hoops to jump through as Canadians....

Not sure how Virgin works but other cruise lines, specifically Celebrity, only covers five days of hotel/food costs for quarantine post cruise if you test positive following disembarkation. You’d be responsible for the remaining 6days unless you pay to be tested sooner in hopes of getting a negative test. Just something to keep in mind. 

20 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Not sure how Virgin works but other cruise lines, specifically Celebrity, only covers five days of hotel/food costs for quarantine post cruise if you test positive following disembarkation. You’d be responsible for the remaining 6days unless you pay to be tested sooner in hopes of getting a negative test. Just something to keep in mind. 

Thanks - it doesn't mention the length of time specifically on their site. It just says that they will cover land based expenses if required to quarantine...I'm planning on testing on the ship 3 days prior to my flight so should only have 8 days to stay in Miami if positive. I do also have Covid insurance that covers $300 a day so I "should" be ok? Let's hope the requirement is lifted by the time I need to fly (first week of March)?!?

• Like 1