Self Administered PCR On Board

ALD18

16 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Thanks - it doesn't mention the length of time specifically on their site. It just says that they will cover land based expenses if required to quarantine...I'm planning on testing on the ship 3 days prior to my flight so should only have 8 days to stay in Miami if positive. I do also have Covid insurance that covers $300 a day so I "should" be ok? Let's hope the requirement is lifted by the time I need to fly (first week of March)?!?

If you test negative on the ship three days before your flights then you’re planning to test again on the last day? Because that original test won’t be able to be used to get back to Canada as it needs to be within 48 hours. Your Covid insurance should be a good fallback just in case. 🤞 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

If you test negative on the ship three days before your flights then you’re planning to test again on the last day? Because that original test won’t be able to be used to get back to Canada as it needs to be within 48 hours. Your Covid insurance should be a good fallback just in case. 🤞 

I thought it was 72 hours?

Did it change again since I last looked?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Is there any reason I can’t take this test in my carry-on?  I would hate to have it lost or stolen from my checked luggage. 

We bought a bunch of the Antigen tests at a CVS in Vegas last month, had no trouble bringing half a carry-on full of them home to YYZ.  That said, your experience may vary depending on the caffeination level of the security agent at your airport and the phase of the moon.  There wasn’t anything I could find on the TSA website either permitting or banning the tests from carry-ons or checked bags, so it will just be up to whoever looks at your bag, I think.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Is there any reason I can’t take this test in my carry-on?  I would hate to have it lost or stolen from my checked luggage. 

For US origins, see the blue info box towards the page bottom, https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/.

CATSA doesn't seem to have any specific guidance on test kits. (I expect they would be considered medical equipment and are likely permitted.) https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en provides guidance for asking questions on line.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:58 AM, 1kaper said:

I'm not going to lie, I've been hesitant to order ours for the same reason.  I need 3. 
I think the website said you can order the week before and they ship pretty quick.  So i'm waiting just a lllliiiiiiitttttttllllllleeeee longer. 

On 2/8/2022 at 8:58 AM, 1kaper said:

I'm not going to lie, I've been hesitant to order ours for the same reason.  I need 3. 
I think the website said you can order the week before and they ship pretty quick.  So i'm waiting just a lllliiiiiiitttttttllllllleeeee longer. 

Sounds like me right now 😆 I’m also anxiously delaying ordering these, I need to have 4 of them by next Friday. Seriously wondering if we should just skip ordering these, and if the testing requirement doesn’t change, we would just get tested at the terminal when disembarking ($175 US per person, in San Juan). Especially since 2 of us aren’t returning home until mid-March after a B3B. The Federal Order pertaining to covid testing/quarantine protocols  was effective until Jan 31, 2022, not sure if it was extended or updated. 

It’s unfortunate that there are no refunds/returns, these tests are just so expensive.

Does anyone know if you can take the test in Mexico or does it have to be in the country you are flying from? Thinking about back-up options. I could technically take it in Cozumel and then continue on the cruise until Miami. Flight is out of Miami. I can't seem to find any info regarding whether it has to be in country of departure?

13 minutes ago, karebare22 said:

Sounds like me right now 😆 I’m also anxiously delaying ordering these, I need to have 4 of them by next Friday. Seriously wondering if we should just skip ordering these, and if the testing requirement doesn’t change, we would just get tested at the terminal when disembarking ($175 US per person, in San Juan). Especially since 2 of us aren’t returning home until mid-March after a B3B. The Federal Order pertaining to covid testing/quarantine protocols  was effective until Jan 31, 2022, not sure if it was extended or updated. 

It’s unfortunate that there are no refunds/returns, these tests are just so expensive.

I ordered the Switch Health test on Sunday night. I paid the extra $15 for expedited. The tests arrived yesterday, so very fast for my case! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broberts said:

For US origins, see the blue info box towards the page bottom, https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/.

CATSA doesn't seem to have any specific guidance on test kits. (I expect they would be considered medical equipment and are likely permitted.) https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en provides guidance for asking questions on line.

Thank you for the link to the FAA website. Since it specifically states the test kits do not contain dangerous goods (which is what I was concerned about) I am going to hope CATSA sees it the same way. 

48 minutes ago, karebare22 said:

Yeah.  It's $300 USD a person for 3 of us if I pay for testing in Houston. 
So I'm balancing my anxiety not getting them in time/supply issues with my cheapness. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

$300 a head makes the decision a bit easier.  Get the LAMP tests, pack them, and hit the high seas.  Not cheapness...............thrifty🙃

Oh that's the decision.  

The cheapness factors in with the debate on when to buy them. I'm worried I'll buy them early and the requirement will be dropped. 

With the pressure mounting at the federal level by the opposition and the provinces starting to relax rules not sure how I see the feds going.  I don't like all this "we're following the science" stuff.  Just like the 16 weeks before the 1st and 2nd shots science they used before.  Internal, not global science.  My drop dead date for ordering a LAMP kit is going to be 5-6 weeks prior to sail date.  So they will drop PCR at 4 weeks for sure..................

Edited by ALD18
tweak
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ALD18 said:

With the pressure mounting at the federal level by the opposition and the provinces starting to relax rules not sure how I see the feds going.  I don't like all this "we're following the science" stuff.  Just like the 16 weeks before the 1st and 2nd shots science they used before.  Internal, not global science.  My drop dead date for ordering a LAMP kit is going to be 6 weeks prior to sail date.

😬  I'm 45 days

7 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

Just curious …what are the chances the feds will drop the PCR test requirements….seriously….

Honestly, I have no idea...but I have to at least hope they are "discussing" the idea. With Canada cruise season just week away, they are going to HAVE to drop the requirement if they want ships to come to Vancouver/Victoria?

11 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Honestly, I have no idea...but I have to at least hope they are "discussing" the idea. With Canada cruise season just week away, they are going to HAVE to drop the requirement if they want ships to come to Vancouver/Victoria?

Me neither but I’m looking at the provinces loosening or dropping restrictions and wondering if the Feds will soon too 

12 hours ago, abby1257 said:

Just curious …what are the chances the feds will drop the PCR test requirements….seriously….

Good question. Chances are slim dropping it within the next 3 months. Eventually they will drop it by this summer and replace it with the Antigen Test. Australia just did that. 

27 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Good question. Chances are slim dropping it within the next 3 months. Eventually they will drop it by this summer and replace it with the Antigen Test. Australia just did that. 

If that's the case, we wouldn't be able to have a cruise season here in Vancouver again (which I'm still not sure will happen to be honest) as how could the ship handle all the PCR testing for every person onboard? There was a small period if time that the 3 day PCR wasn't required, right? It changed recently if I recall correctly? Honestly, I just can't keep up with the constantly changing, inconsistent requirements!

Agree with DHP1 on timing.  Think you will see all provinces, including Ontario, reduce the mandates by mid March.  But the Feds will drag their feet until early/mid summer.  Also interested to see what the CDC/US will do with their required antigen entry requirements.  Would not be shocked to see that dropped sooner rather than later as well.

5 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

If that's the case, we wouldn't be able to have a cruise season here in Vancouver again (which I'm still not sure will happen to be honest) as how could the ship handle all the PCR testing for every person onboard? There was a small period if time that the 3 day PCR wasn't required, right? It changed recently if I recall correctly? Honestly, I just can't keep up with the constantly changing, inconsistent requirements!

Sure we will. Another thread indicated that Vancouver port is hiring this week. If you embark in a Canadian port (Vancouver) and disembark in a Canadian port and fly home within Canada, currently there is no testing. We are still waiting from the government on this. The government isn’t going to make all guest (3,000 +) require a PCR test at disembarkment and if they do Alaska cruises will be cancelled. The chances of that happening is so slim.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Agree with DHP1 on timing.  Think you will see all provinces, including Ontario, reduce the mandates by mid March.  But the Feds will drag their feet until early/mid summer.  Also interested to see what the CDC/US will do with their required antigen entry requirements.  Would not be shocked to see that dropped sooner rather than later as well.

Agreed. I expect very soon or change it to 3 days.