COVID testing before the cruise after March 1

AK Dreaming

On 2/9/2022 at 1:00 PM, Sand and Seas said:

I tried looking on the CVS website.  It sounds like it will try to bill your health insurance.  Not sure what your health insurance would think of covering the test for travel.  

Has anyone been through CVS testing travel?

For the record I'm Medicare with private. When on CVS site I put in the private companies name. CVS site said did not exist. (Huge company we all know name). So I just said Medicare. Went to CVS for test. Pharmacist just asked if I said Medicare, she said ok. Took test, and went home. Zero cash out, zero issue. That was in January 22, a Crystal Cruise that did not happen. 😞 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

For the record I'm Medicare with private. When on CVS site I put in the private companies name. CVS site said did not exist. (Huge company we all know name). So I just said Medicare. Went to CVS for test. Pharmacist just asked if I said Medicare, she said ok. Took test, and went home. Zero cash out, zero issue. That was in January 22, a Crystal Cruise that did not happen. 😞 

In which state? Did you have to fib on the questions implying you might have been exposed, or had the sniffles? I'm hearing some people do, some do not. I think it might depend on the state.

Sorry about your Crystal cruise, but at least you were not stranded at sea somewhere "on the lamb" from the law. 😉

16 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Sounds like a simple way of doing things. How did you order the kits? Cost? I have been thinking of using Walgreens/CVS, etc mainly because I am unfamiliar with how the those online proctored kits work. I have visions of the video link dropping off or whatever, which would invalidate the test. I suppose you used your phone for the video link? I don't have (nor want!) a camera on my desktop PC....I don't think my laptops have a camera either.

Doug

My. computer died so please bear with me on this tablet.  Go to NCLcom under the explore tab at top. Scroll down to sailsafe option. In the middle of  that page there is a link to doing the test at home with insure and click. Do a mock set up just to see how it's done. You don't pay til the end.. At the end of set up they ask you which test kit you want. 1 cost 40 dollars or 3 for 80 dollars. I bought 3 and the extra can be used for family members. The questions they ask you to fill in include personal info, ship, date of cruise,  how many are traveling with you. Then they have you schedule appt (either 1 or 2 days before your cruise and the time). After you complete the whole process for yourself they send a confirmation  email to go and pick a password and then log into your account to add others that are traveling with you. I have not done the test itself but I do a lot of video calls with family members thru an app on my phone so I would bet they would do it that way. It probably tells you on their website, I just didn't look for it,

29 minutes ago, ravenjls said:

My. computer died so please bear with me on this tablet.  Go to NCLcom under the explore tab at top. Scroll down to sailsafe option. In the middle of  that page there is a link to doing the test at home with insure and click. Do a mock set up just to see how it's done. You don't pay til the end.. At the end of set up they ask you which test kit you want. 1 cost 40 dollars or 3 for 80 dollars. I bought 3 and the extra can be used for family members. The questions they ask you to fill in include personal info, ship, date of cruise,  how many are traveling with you. Then they have you schedule appt (either 1 or 2 days before your cruise and the time). After you complete the whole process for yourself they send a confirmation  email to go and pick a password and then log into your account to add others that are traveling with you. I have not done the test itself but I do a lot of video calls with family members thru an app on my phone so I would bet they would do it that way. It probably tells you on their website, I just didn't look for it,

Oh shoot, your computer caught Omicron and is deceased!😲 Should have gotten its shots I suppose.......

Than online test sounds like a good idea, thanks for those directions. I know what you mean about using a tablet; compared to the desktop or even a laptop a tablet is a PITA. I use a stylus on my tablets because it "bothers" me to have finger prints, hence my "typing" is very slow!

My wife picked up a couple or those home tests at the store yesterday "just in case". I suppose we can ask our primary care doc about using those to pre-cruise us, but I have no idea if that will suffice for NCL. I mean, it would be monitored by a "qualified medical person", but I don't know what proof the cruise line(s) would accept for that.  Maybe just a note from the doctor?

Anyone know? Anyone done that?

Doug

Doug

We depart 3/13. NCL's website says a "verified third party." How do we know which third parties are verified? They don't provide a list. Thankfully, this city of Miami has had plenty of testing sites/centers with quick, free, and easy testing. We have used this for international travel in the past year. Was planning on doing the same, but I don't want to show up with a test that they don't accept. Thanks!

1 hour ago, zackarykeef said:

We depart 3/13. NCL's website says a "verified third party." How do we know which third parties are verified? They don't provide a list. Thankfully, this city of Miami has had plenty of testing sites/centers with quick, free, and easy testing. We have used this for international travel in the past year. Was planning on doing the same, but I don't want to show up with a test that they don't accept. Thanks!

Very wordy, but these are the instructions straight off of the NCL site:

Cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022:
At the time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party, via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/) or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service (BioReference sends a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests must bring printed proof of negative test results. Test results need to be in English and include the following information:

• Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
  • Your date of birth
  • The result of the test
  • The date the test sample was collected
  • The name of the test provider
  • Confirmation of the type of test provided

If a guest is unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, testing will be available at the terminal at the guests' expense (cost may vary depending on the port and the vendor). If you booked a pre-cruise Cruisetour, please view additional FAQs.

Should you need to locate a testing provider prior to beginning travel or while traveling prior to your cruise, please visit TestForTravel.com, an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world. Simply enter your zip code, or city and country, and the website will display locations, contact information, and testing hours. It also allows you to search by test type – PCR or Antigen.

For guests that prefer to test prior to travel in the comfort of their home or while traveling, we have partnered with Inspired Diagnostics to provide FDA-approved, proctored, in-home antigen testing for our guests. Inspired Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services. Testing at home is safe, simple, and convenient. Purchasing in-home testing kits takes just five simple, easy steps at: https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/.

Should you have any questions about Inspired Diagnostics’ in-home testing services, please visit https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/, call Inspired Diagnostics at 949-207-3315, or email info@inspirediagnostics.com. Please be certain to identify yourself as a guest of Norwegian Cruise Line.

To understand the earliest you should test prior to your cruise vacation, see below:
table-embark-US-NonUS.png

As a reminder, all guests are responsible for checking on travel restrictions and complying with all requirements, which may include additional pre-embarkation testing at the terminal. NCL recommends for all guests to follow, and where possible, sign up for notifications from their local government on international travel regulations that may prevent, restrict, or require additional documentation when traveling to another country for embarkation or during their cruise.

For additional information, please visit www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

Very wordy, but these are the instructions straight off of the NCL site:

Cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022:
At the time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party, via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/) or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service (BioReference sends a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests must bring printed proof of negative test results. Test results need to be in English and include the following information:

• Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
  • Your date of birth
  • The result of the test
  • The date the test sample was collected
  • The name of the test provider
  • Confirmation of the type of test provided

If a guest is unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, testing will be available at the terminal at the guests' expense (cost may vary depending on the port and the vendor). If you booked a pre-cruise Cruisetour, please view additional FAQs.

Should you need to locate a testing provider prior to beginning travel or while traveling prior to your cruise, please visit TestForTravel.com, an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world. Simply enter your zip code, or city and country, and the website will display locations, contact information, and testing hours. It also allows you to search by test type – PCR or Antigen.

For guests that prefer to test prior to travel in the comfort of their home or while traveling, we have partnered with Inspired Diagnostics to provide FDA-approved, proctored, in-home antigen testing for our guests. Inspired Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services. Testing at home is safe, simple, and convenient. Purchasing in-home testing kits takes just five simple, easy steps at: https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/.

Should you have any questions about Inspired Diagnostics’ in-home testing services, please visit https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/, call Inspired Diagnostics at 949-207-3315, or email info@inspirediagnostics.com. Please be certain to identify yourself as a guest of Norwegian Cruise Line.

To understand the earliest you should test prior to your cruise vacation, see below:
table-embark-US-NonUS.png

As a reminder, all guests are responsible for checking on travel restrictions and complying with all requirements, which may include additional pre-embarkation testing at the terminal. NCL recommends for all guests to follow, and where possible, sign up for notifications from their local government on international travel regulations that may prevent, restrict, or require additional documentation when traveling to another country for embarkation or during their cruise.

For additional information, please visit www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country.

I understand that, but it still doesn’t say who is and who is not a “verified third party.”

Edited by zackarykeef
Updated

3 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

This is all I can find on the site…

AEFCEFD6-90BD-4BB3-9204-836462BA6796.png

The Binax Now AG Card tests ordered through E-med are "proctored" (verified) using the "NAVICA" App!

Since NCL is currently using CVS to tests at multiple ports, and you would get a Text/Email with your results, directly from CVS if you used them, they are a verified third party!

Or, using the TestForTravel.com (link provided by NCL) would be a good source.

Also, Walgreens is "likely" a verifiable source, since it is a recognized national chain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wampuscat7 said:

This is a dumb question, but can I take my covid test the same day I get on the boat? I don't see why not, but the NCL recommended proctored test site won't let me schedule my test for the sail day. 

Some people have had long wait times for their "proctor" to come on-line with them.  So, I would imagine THAT is one of the the reasons.

11 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Some people have had long wait times for their "proctor" to come on-line with them.  So, I would imagine THAT is one of the the reasons.

Interesting. I've heard from people who have done the NCL-recommended service and BINAX service that it was quick with very little waiting. 

Thanks for the input. 

14 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

I understand that, but it still doesn’t say who is and who is not a “verified third party.”

I asked the same exact question and didn't get anywhere.  Where does it say CVS is a verified third party.  I can not find.  Yes, I understand many have used them but with all the changes etc., I do not want to arrive and be surprised.

4 minutes ago, wilsonsmw said:

I asked the same exact question and didn't get anywhere.  Where does it say CVS is a verified third party.  I can not find.  Yes, I understand many have used them but with all the changes etc., I do not want to arrive and be surprised.

No doubt, NCL's information is, at best, very obscure!

NCL does not list "Verified Third Parties" because the list would be too long (and probably still not cover everyone's choices).

So, here is the important information we all need to understand...

1) Is the testing facility a recognized company?

2) Does (will) your text/email information include the following?

"Test results need to be in English and include the following information:

Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents

Your date of birth

The result of the test

The date the test sample was collected

The name of the test provider

Confirmation of the type of test provided."

Need more proof? (link straight off the NCL website)

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC#sail-safe-faq 

THEN, open the first question," Do I need to take a COVID-19 test prior to the arrival at the terminal?

25 minutes ago, wilsonsmw said:

This question is "over thinking" the real point!.

And the bottom line, up front, is this...

"Test results need to be in English and include the following information:

Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents

Your date of birth

The result of the test

The date the test sample was collected

The name of the test provider

Confirmation of the type of test provided." 

Otherwise, you would need to pay to retest at the port, or be denied embarkation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wampuscat7 said:

This is a dumb question, but can I take my covid test the same day I get on the boat? I don't see why not, but the NCL recommended proctored test site won't let me schedule my test for the sail day. 

The Abbott at-home proctored test can be done the same day, but you risk getting shut out if the service is slammed for whatever reason or there's another Amazon Cloud outage or similar act of God.  And that test can't be scheduled for any day or any time; just log in when you're ready to go.

• Like 2

Another question on those pre-sail tests:

Several weeks ago we were trying to find two "home tests" just to have for general use if one of us felt ill. We didn't buy those to be used for the cruise since that pre-cruise test must be monitored I know. However, at one point the few testing sights (not online) had no test kits of their own.

Anyone know if I could have one of my test kits monitored at my doctor's office <etc>? Would that "count" as a valid test for the cruise lines? I have no idea if there is any difference between the actual kits themselves. Anyone know?

We still plan on using CVS/Wlgreens/Doctor's office as our primary and backup test facility for pre-cruise, but you never know..........

Doug

3 hours ago, wilsonsmw said:

NCL uses CVS at the port in Miami and will be using CVS at the port through the end of February. After February, if you have to be tested at the port, it is through CVS. I spoke with a CVS tester a couple weeks ago when my oldest was being tested for COVID, and she told me that their tests are accepted by cruise lines. The results are emailed to you with a pdf document containing all of the required info.

Hope that helps clarify. 

21 minutes ago, scorpioncrawl said:

We are getting the rapid antigen test at our local Walgreens with results to our  email/phones on Friday, 2 days before we board,. The rapid diagnostic test is processed thru a lab and takes longer.

Does Walgreens also offer a hard copy of you results? I'd much prefer that over just an email that may get lost in the web somewhere.....

Doug

On 2/6/2022 at 4:51 PM, AK Dreaming said:

This may seem like a dumb question, but do we get the test 2 days before we embark or does it mean get the results 2 days before we leave?  If I embark on Saturday and book my test for Thursday, it is possible I would not get my results back in time?  Also, my CVS is charging $139 for a travel test.  Is the what everyone is paying or is there a better place.  I am in Florida.

Walking around downtown Miami (Brickell) there were lots of small tents on the street set up for free covid testing. This was last week, 2/16.