COVID testing before the cruise after March 1

AK Dreaming

For anyone living in Miami area I found this link and preregistered for our upcoming cruise on 3/5.  They provide results directly to the cruise line and within 24 hours to you.  You will need to enter your ship name, sailing date and the reservation number.

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/initiatives/coronavirus/testing-locations.page

Good luck.

On 2/21/2022 at 3:34 PM, pghflyer said:

I just noticed that the Binax Now AG Card tests are on the FDA list that most insurances are required to cover at 8 tests per month.  So this is looking to be the ideal option for me. eMed (as noted by @ggTexasGal above) is selling them at 6 tests for $150, and I can just submit it back to my insurance for coverage.

Insurance will cover $12 per test, so you will get reimbursed for $72 of the $150.   They rest of the cost is for the video proctoring .   FYI, if you don't need 6 tests you can get 2 test from optum.com with the eMed for $70 ($24 back from insurance).  Also https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/  is $80 for 3 tests ($36 back from insurance), includes the video proctoring and is tied back to NCL.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

What is the source of this information? If that's true, going to Walgreens is out of the question because almost none of them do antigen tests. (In Florida the closest antigen test on the Walgreens site is in Virginia!) And the PCR test might take 3 days for results, and you need results in 2 days.

That leaves their ID-Now test, a NAAT test, which you say is unacceptable. I have a hard time believing NCL won't accept the only viable test from one of the two major national sources of Covid tests. I suspect they'll end up accepting them or a significant percentage of people will end up being turned away at the port. But it sure would make us more comfortable if they said that.

NCL's written documentation specifically states it must be and antigen or PCR test.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rpg said:

For anyone living in Miami area I found this link and preregistered for our upcoming cruise on 3/5.  They provide results directly to the cruise line and within 24 hours to you.  You will need to enter your ship name, sailing date and the reservation number.

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/initiatives/coronavirus/testing-locations.page

Good luck.

THIS is what I was talking about earlier when I had asked about “verified” tests. We live in Miami and always use this site for travel…it is SO easy and FREE! This is what I was planning on doing, but I didn’t know they report directly to the cruise line?! That’s amazing! How did you find that out? I always see the check box for “this test is for a cruise,” so I’m assuming via that? Thanks!

6 hours ago, Married90 said:

NCL's written documentation specifically states it must be and antigen or PCR test.

A PCR is an NAAT, so the ID Now from Walgreens is likely accepted. It’s been accepted for travel elsewhere. If they’re accepting antigen tests (which are horrible and a joke), the ID Now is WAY more sensitive and should be accepted as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Married90 said:

Insurance will cover $12 per test, so you will get reimbursed for $72 of the $150.   They rest of the cost is for the video proctoring .   FYI, if you don't need 6 tests you can get 2 test from optum.com with the eMed for $70 ($24 back from insurance).  Also https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/  is $80 for 3 tests ($36 back from insurance), includes the video proctoring and is tied back to NCL.   

Just remember if a test has a “inconclusive” reading or you drop, something in front of the proton you will  need to start over with a new test kit. The three test option seems like a good idea to me. 

Edited by milolii

6 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

A PCR is an NAAT, so the ID Now from Walgreens is likely accepted. It’s been accepted for travel elsewhere. If they’re accepting antigen tests (which are horrible and a joke), the ID Now is WAY more sensitive and should be accepted as well.

That maybe true but a PCR test can take up to seven days for results.  The test must be administered NET two days prior to embarkation.

13 hours ago, Married90 said:

OK, that's what I was driving at. Agreed, that is the way it reads. I just didn't know if JustSomeLady had some additional information confirming the Rapid Diagnostic Test/ID Now is definitely not acceptable.

I'm still of the opinion that this was just poor wording on NCL's part and the ID NOW test will be accepted. From what I understand it's a more accurate test than the antigen, but not as accurate as PCR. So why would NCL accept the less accurate antigen but not the ID NOW?

Or, perhaps it isn't NCL's wording that is bad, but it's my understanding that is bad. I think PCR is a NAAT test, and ID NOW is also a NAAT test, but ID NOW isn't a PCR test. But perhaps I'm wrong.

I guess once the first cruises sail after March 1st we'll know for sure, because some people are sure to show up at the port with a Walgreens ID Now negative test result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

That maybe true but a PCR test can take up to seven days for results.  The test must be administered NET two days prior to embarkation.

What does that have to do with my comment? I’m just saying people are saying the NAAT isn’t accepted, when a PCR is (which is a type of NAAT). Trust me, they’ll accept the NAAT/ID Now/rapid diagnostic.

Also, if you’re in the Miami area and aren’t worried about testing prior to flying here, Miami has plenty of walk-up, free sites that get you PCR results in 6 hours.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zackarykeef said:

What does that have to do with my comment? I’m just saying people are saying the NAAT isn’t accepted, when a PCR is (which is a type of NAAT). Trust me, they’ll accept the NAAT/ID Now/rapid diagnostic.

Also, if you’re in the Miami area and aren’t worried about testing prior to flying here, Miami has plenty of walk-up, free sites that get you PCR results in 6 hours.

I want to get my testing done prior to leaving for the port.  For that reason, I pointed out that it may take up to seven days to get PCR test results.  Availability of testing here in North Alabama is hit or miss.  Most pharmacies only offer the PCR test which I'm not comfortable with taking.  I was able to locate two antigen testing facilities.  One wanted $340 for testing for wife and I.  The other does it for free.

My apologies if this has already been asked.  Does Norwegian accept the Walgreen's rapid diagnostic test (IDNow}?  Thank you!

Update:  I called Norwegian and asked about this test specifically and the answer was yes, they accept the IDNow test.

Edited by srussell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, merlekins said:

one less thing to worry about if you're sailing out of Vancouver [like we are in May.]

Wondering if NCL will follow suit?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/03/government-of-canada-will-remove-pre-entry-test-requirement-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers-on-april-1.html

According to this article, cruise ship passengers will still need to be tested upon arrival (just not at the end of the cruise). It's still early, Canada may lighten up even more..

Additionally, travelers who board a cruise ship will also be required to get tested before their scheduled departure, as the government announced last week, but Alghabra said they will not have to get tested again before getting off the ship.

Canada Eliminates Pre-arrival Testing for Vaccinated Visitors | Travel + Leisure (travelandleisure.com)

• Thanks 1