Masking requirements in ports of call - Western Caribbean

My wife and the couple traveling with us are having concerns regarding masking requirements for our upcoming cruise on Liberty departing on March 20th. They do not want to have to wear masks wherever they go. We know what the requirements will be on the ship as of Feb. 14th. We would like to know what the requirements are in the various ports we will be visiting. Our cruise has stops in Costa Maya, Cozumel and Roatan. Can anyone that has recently visited these ports please share their experiences with masking requirements. Are they required in taxis/tour buses? Bars & restaurants? Shops? What about open areas such as the beach? Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm on liberty now and on with you March 20.

It could be a misunderstanding but I was told they skipped roatan and did Belize 2 weeks ago because roatan had a huge covid outbreak. Our excursion was very strict about wearing your mask onboard the vehicle. She said they are watched and she would be in trouble if people are caught without a mask.

My advice is get over it. No one like masks ... the ports are not as covid free as maybe where you live. Even on the tender to Belize last week masks were required. I stayed on the ship. Not sure how you could keep them on in the wind. Cozumel outside of the port shopping no one said anything when we took them off. ..but they say required. 

Who knows in march.

11 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm aware of this. I'm trying to convince at least my wife to go. If she won't be required to wear a mask everywhere in port, she might go.

Are you flying to the port embarkation point? The TSA masking requirement for airplane travel might still be in place. As for the ports who knows what requirement will be in place in March. During a pandemic, four or five weeks away is a very long time.

Good luck.

I was in all three of those ports this week. Taxi drivers were wearing masks so as a courtesy to them we wore masks in their vehicles although they didn't ask unmasked people to put on a mask. Otherwise no masks were needed in the port areas or at beach resorts. Organized tour operators might be more strict, especially inside their buses.

I asked our host at Paradise Beach Club in Cozumel what the mask rules are and he laughed and said "no rules".

We are planning on staying in the port area at Costa Maya. In Cozumel we are planning on going to Paradise Beach Club. We have never been to Roatan and are really looking forward to some sort of tour there, hopefully getting to see some sloths. Do you know what the masking requirements/restrictions are in Roatan?

5 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We are planning on staying in the port area at Costa Maya. In Cozumel we are planning on going to Paradise Beach Club. We have never been to Roatan and are really looking forward to some sort of tour there, hopefully getting to see some sloths. Do you know what the masking requirements/restrictions are in Roatan?

Just came back form Roatan. You need to put on masks inside some places.  We did the Monkey/sloth thing. You can take your mask off any time. I highly suggest booking with Rony's. Best private tour I ever had. 

5 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

The port area in Costa Maya didn't seem concerned about masks, and our tour operator was concerned about it only when we were indoors or in the van. That concern was because of government requirements, and they didn't want to get on the government's bad side. Cozumel was the same way, although the resort where we did our excursion asked that we put our masks back on when not with our group (we were in our own beautiful outdoor area).

I don't know about Roatán. We stayed on board. Many got off for the sloths, but I don't remember about masks. Someone over in the excursions area likely will know. 

So, the bottom line is that you'll need them from time to time but not always unless things change for the worse. 

By the way, the Mexology excursion in Cozumel was a heck of a lot of fun. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in such a thing.