The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

Still love this thread, long but think I have tried to check each page always looking for tips to make our vacation time together special.

We are not on a larger ship we are on the Pearl in 30 days. I am surprising the boys with the Haven, we have always had 2 bedroom suites on NCL it works for us. Now question cabin 14508, has anybody stayed in this cabin? Assume the balcony is small but we are across from the pool so they can use the public areas. Second question my 13 year old grandson is big he looks much older and is a quiet young man for sail away or coming in and out of Bermuda will he be allowed to go to the top deck? He is a camera buff and will want to take pictures. I don't want any grief bringing him up there this trip will most likely be our last one together. 

Thanks everybody for all the tips and information so far. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Still love this thread, long but think I have tried to check each page always looking for tips to make our vacation time together special.

We are not on a larger ship we are on the Pearl in 30 days. I am surprising the boys with the Haven, we have always had 2 bedroom suites on NCL it works for us. Now question cabin 14508, has anybody stayed in this cabin? Assume the balcony is small but we are across from the pool so they can use the public areas. Second question my 13 year old grandson is big he looks much older and is a quiet young man for sail away or coming in and out of Bermuda will he be allowed to go to the top deck? He is a camera buff and will want to take pictures. I don't want any grief bringing him up there this trip will most likely be our last one together. 

Thanks everybody for all the tips and information so far. 

Are you talking about the Haven Sundeck? I have not sailed on the Pearl but the Breakaway and BReakaway+ ships there are signs 16 and over. Me personally I never cared as long as the kid acts correct, but some may have an issue. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickeysgal said:

We took deck 17 - 17726

Do you happen to have any balcony pictures? We ended up taking 17726. We are super excited. 

You should be! Enjoy every moment and you chose, what I would consider, the best deck!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Are you talking about the Haven Sundeck? I have not sailed on the Pearl but the Breakaway and BReakaway+ ships there are signs 16 and over. Me personally I never cared as long as the kid acts correct, but some may have an issue. 

Yes the sundeck, I read this is for 16 and older. Husband thinks as he is quiet and looks 15-16 nobody will have an issue. Not like he would be taking a sacred lounger. NCL lets people do this in other parts of the ship but we wouldn't on this deck it wouldn't be fair with the prices people pay to have him take a chair. It's not all day just certain times, I will not be able to go up because of the stairs but his Dad, Uncle, and Grandfather will be with him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Yes the sundeck, I read this is for 16 and older. Husband thinks as he is quiet and looks 15-16 nobody will have an issue. Not like he would be taking a sacred lounger. NCL lets people do this in other parts of the ship but we wouldn't on this deck it wouldn't be fair with the prices people pay to have him take a chair. It's not all day just certain times, I will not be able to go up because of the stairs but his Dad, Uncle, and Grandfather will be with him.

I am sure he will be fine. usually on the haven sun deck 16 and over is simply so its a quiet place with ut much smaller childern running around and making a ton of noise. Or overruning the hotubs 

• Like 2

On a thread on this board, perhaps this thread, is a lively discourse over whether well-behaved minors under the age of sixteen should be permitted on the Haven sundeck.  The "Yes!" and "No!" camps both make valid arguments.

That said, I tend to agree with wolft927.  The no-minors-under-sixteen rule is intended to preclude disruptive, uncontrolled children.  It's the relief measure to dispense with such annoyances.  But, generally, shipboard staff enforcement of the rule is triggered by a complaining Haven guest.  It's not like there's a checkpost at which a crewman examines the ID of everyone stepping off the elevator.

The point being that your son's presence on the Haven sundeck relies on the implicit assent of the other guests present.  As long as your son acts maturely and is as well behaved as you and your husband attest, then in all likelihood, none of the other guests will notice or even care.  I know that would not, and you can imagine how important rules and regulations have been in my life.

Best wishes to you for a most enjoyable cruise.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

I am sure he will be fine. usually on the haven sun deck 16 and over is simply so its a quiet place with ut much smaller childern running around and making a ton of noise. Or overruning the hotubs 

Thank you, this is a very special cruise for us.

Making memories 😊.

@mickeysgal I don't have pictures of the balcony but looking at the deck plan for the Encore it should be the same situation as the Bliss. The last time this was discussed on these threads a lot of people joined in and commented on these cabins for the Bliss - perhaps someone who has stayed in 17126 or 17726 on the Encore can comment and with luck have pictures! If it is the same large balcony you will enjoy it. I noticed in another comment that some people have been successful asking the pre cruise Haven concierge for loungers on their deck and they were there when they arrived, it can't hurt to ask - if not your room attendant will do it for you. During the day you will hear the music coming from the main deck but for me that added to the experience. At night it is quiet. Enjoy your cruise and please follow up with your experience I am currently searching daily for a deal on the Encore and will book it when it happens and will also hope to get cabin 126/726!

Edited by Beamco
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Always Cruising said:

Not sure if the 16 and over policy is on the Jewel class ships. 

Policy is the same. I haven’t been on the Pearl, but I’ve been on the Gem. I agree with the general sentiment here that a mature looking kid who is well behaved would not be asked to leave nor would he raise an eyebrow. 

• Like 1

Everyone who thinks rules should be bent for them because they are traveling for a "special occasion" should read this; 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2023-03-15/white-lotus-vibes-hawaii-superstitions-and-other-resort-secrets

That being shared - sail aways at the beginning of the cruise are loose and if your grandson wants to take pictures I am fairly certain no will complain, and probably not complain if he is taking pictures as you sail into and out of other ports, but you are correct you run the risk if he is occupying a lounger etc.

• Like 1

We stayed in the Encore’s 17726 on our Panama cruise last year. Sorry I don’t have any pictures but the balcony was large enough for two loungers plus the original two (fairly large) chairs and table.  Diners close to the window in the Haven outdoor restaurant look down onto the balcony. We were seldom out there during main dining times so that didn’t bother us. 

what did bother us was the aforementioned constant slamming of the crew door. We loved the room and its location with easy access out the door to the rest of the ship but I would not book that room again because we found the noise disruptive. 

On 3/19/2023 at 1:07 PM, mearsfansinboise said:

The ONLY thing that bugs me about the Haven is the menu that never changes ....  especially the desserts.  I don't like/want ANY of the desserts on the menu there - mayyyybe the cheesecake, but certainly not enough to have it more than once.  

Depends on the cruise, moreso the length I suppose. Just got off the Joy earlier this month and for our 15 day PC transit, each day there was a special app, entree, and dessert to pick from in addition to the standard menu.

If you give them enough notice and ask nice enough, they can run dishes from the MDR over to the Haven restaurant for you as well. But always better to pre-warn them rather than to ask while sitting at the table.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:11 AM, mickeysgal said:

My travel agent refers to Haven room categories as HE, HF, etc. I’ve also seen Haven room categories as H2, H7, etc. Is there a list somewhere of these categories? I have no idea what these are referring to. Thanks 

www.cruisedeckplans.com - this is your new friend.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:20 AM, mickeysgal said:

Another question- 

What is more preferable …deck 17 or deck 18? 
I have a choice for 18126 or 17726 

Are there any disadvantages to either due to their location? They are both the last cabin in a line of cabins on each floor. 

Generally speaking, the lower decks tend to have larger (deeper) balconies based on the overall ship shape. It starts to slope in at the top, so you lose some square footage the higher up you go.

12 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

As all have said... well behaved children are always welcome near me. Last trip we had a satanic beast who turned 3 during the trip. Each meal time the child had no less than 3 staff members chasing them around and scooting them out of the kitchen. Parents were non-parental (nicest way I can say it without bluntly calling them the worst in the world I've ever seen). I think it was a mom and grandma looking after little Ivy. The fact that everyone in the Haven knew this kids name and was warning each other to hold off on going to meals when she was sitting in there is enough to be said...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

Depends on the cruise, moreso the length I suppose. Just got off the Joy earlier this month and for our 15 day PC transit, each day there was a special app, entree, and dessert to pick from in addition to the standard menu.

If you give them enough notice and ask nice enough, they can run dishes from the MDR over to the Haven restaurant for you as well. But always better to pre-warn them rather than to ask while sitting at the table.

www.cruisedeckplans.com - this is your new friend.

Generally speaking, the lower decks tend to have larger (deeper) balconies based on the overall ship shape. It starts to slope in at the top, so you lose some square footage the higher up you go.

As all have said... well behaved children are always welcome near me. Last trip we had a satanic beast who turned 3 during the trip. Each meal time the child had no less than 3 staff members chasing them around and scooting them out of the kitchen. Parents were non-parental (nicest way I can say it without bluntly calling them the worst in the world I've ever seen). I think it was a mom and grandma looking after little Ivy. The fact that everyone in the Haven knew this kids name and was warning each other to hold off on going to meals when she was sitting in there is enough to be said...

You wouldn't happen to know about the outlets in the master bedroom of the two bedroom suite. Have been in these cabins before but he Pearl looks to have had this area changed. They removed the tub and made the shower larger so wonder if they made any other changes. In the past we needed an detention for my husbands cpap but now I need a plug for my oxygen machine as well.

10 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:
22 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

You are being much too kind here…lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

You wouldn't happen to know about the outlets in the master bedroom of the two bedroom suite. Have been in these cabins before but he Pearl looks to have had this area changed. They removed the tub and made the shower larger so wonder if they made any other changes. In the past we needed an detention for my husbands cpap but now I need a plug for my oxygen machine as well.

The only 2br I've stayed in was on the Epic and that was before the recent revamp. You'll need to ask someone else who was on the ship you'll be sailing on.

We were on the Pearl in June 2022.  My friends had the master bedroom and I was in the second bedroom.  I really think that there was no tub at that point, but not 100% sure.  Both of them use CPAP and had no issues plugging them both in.  (I don't think they had to ask for an extension cord.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just won an upgrade today to the Haven will be our first ever Haven experience and we’re so excited! We’re still over 2 weeks out so we will surely have some questions over the next couple of days for the “experts” here. If anyone wants to know more about the bidding process and how we got it, I’ve posted about that in all detail over in the “Any upgrade Bits accepted recently” thread.

In the meantime, it’s a Courtyard Penthouse suite with large balcony on the Encore so if anyone has traveled on one of those before (or has any fotos or tips), please post them on here! ☺️

So so happy and excited!!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

Just won an upgrade today to the Haven will be our first ever Haven experience and we’re so excited! We’re still over 2 weeks out so we will surely have some questions over the next couple of days for the “experts” here. If anyone wants to know more about the bidding process and how we got it, I’ve posted about that in all detail over in the “Any upgrade Bits accepted recently” thread.

In the meantime, it’s a Courtyard Penthouse suite with large balcony on the Encore so if anyone has traveled on one of those before (or has any fotos or tips), please post them on here! ☺️

Enjoy the upgrade! I will be on the getaway Haven May 1st. We were booked in forward facing Haven and had bids in to upgrade. I saw that haven was almost sold out on our sailing so I called and just paid for the upgrade to a two bedroom family (we are just a couple but it was less expensive than the owners suite) Too bad we aren’t on the same cruise. We could wander the ship in search of bottles of Veuve😉

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

@Sydneyberlin So happy for you.  Lets of folks that know their Haven Stuff here.  Read the original article on page one.  Ask anything you want to know.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

On 3/22/2023 at 9:11 AM, latebloomer56 said:

I had experience with this just last week. Gosh, it feels like forever ago since I was on Joy (not Pearl). We took advantage of the Haven Sundeck every single day, often for hours at a time. Each day there were some children on the sundeck. I instantly thought back to some of these Haven Sundeck threads/age policy and chortled to myself about some who would go crazy. 

These kids were respectful, walked around, and (probably, most importantly) were not taking up expensive real estate in the hot tubs. No one said a word. Staff saw them. There were kids that looked to be about ten, 13, and some who were in that 15 - 17 age range (so might have been the right age to be there). We truly had no issues and I smiled knowing they were making nice vacation memories. 

I have no doubt your photo-loving grandson would be welcome on the sundeck. Should he "technically" be there? Well...no, but I would have loved it if the loud, obnoxious drunk forty year olds who were hogging the hot tubs (no doubt peeing in them too) had been banned and we had more of those respectful, quiet children on the sundeck. 

Have a memorable, enjoyable cruise with your family! I'm looking forward to hearing all about the adventures you have. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

Enjoy. To date, the Encore has been my favorite Haven and we also stay in the Courtyard. However I have a Joy cruise booked in an HJ on Deck 14 so this will be our first time not in the Courtyard but hoping we love the Joy Haven even better than Encore. 

Have fun and congrats!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, js said:

Enjoy. To date, the Encore has been my favorite Haven and we also stay in the Courtyard. However I have a Joy cruise booked in an HJ on Deck 14 so this will be our first time not in the Courtyard but hoping we love the Joy Haven even better than Encore. 

Have fun and congrats!

@js The Encore has a great Haven for one of NCL's largest ships.  The Joy which I cruised twice also has a great Haven.  The Joy as a ship is a bit different because of it's retrofit after originally being made for the Asian market.  I have also stayed in the Haven Proper and outside the Haven.  Pro's/Con's to both.  Surprisingly, they balance out in the end.  

I want to caution those on this thread who have recently been upgraded using the NCL Bid process to the Haven.  It is hard, not impossible, just hard to cruise on an NCL Ship any other way.  I have tried.  

I hope one day in the not to distant future, all the people that provided posts on this stream could take over the Haven on a nice sailing.  I don't think if that happened NCL would have enough lobster tails or Prime Rib left my mid-cruise.

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every moment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

Mazel Tov!!!

We are on the Encore in Sept in the DOS with Large Balcony and cannot wait....been on the countdown for nearly 2 years. Go to youtube and type is "NCL Encore Haven". You should see a number of videos from a travel agency that is similar to the sound you make when you laugh ("harr-dy harr- harr if you get my drift, as we cannot name specific agencies on this site I believe). 

Having been in the Haven across many classes of ships, I know you will just love the experience and (though it is a great subject of debate), have a very difficult time going back to a non-Haven room. We've been looking at every review, every video of the Encore since booking the cruise and I'll bet you will just love this beauty of a ship. 

Have a wonderful trip and look forward to your review if you are kind enough to post one.

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1